Baby boy name - Humphrey or Odhran

(66 Posts)
swild Wed 11-Sep-13 20:29:50

Help,

We cannot decide on baby boy name for DS who is now 7 days old! We are at polar opposites with me really liking Odhran and husband wanting Humphrey and thinking of a meet in the middle name of Aneurin.

Thoughts?

TheBuskersDog Thu 12-Sep-13 21:01:30

Showing my age but 'watch out there's a Humphrey about' and Humphrey cushion.

lljkk Thu 12-Sep-13 21:06:15

Sorry I am blanching at either. Humphrey is maybe ok.

CheshireDing Thu 12-Sep-13 21:29:18

Neither, sorry.

Humphrey is you must (although sounds more like cats name).

I wouldn't know how to pronounce the other, or spell it if I just heard it. If I saw it on a CV I would probably think it was the name of a big Welsh guy grin

WeAreSeven Thu 12-Sep-13 22:18:41

"Excuse me , but how do you pronounce your name?"
"It's Oran"
Problem solved!
Go for Odhran, I love it!
I do know a few, even here in Ireland who modify it to Oran which you could always do if you were worried about people being able to pronounce it.
Not keen on Humphrey, to be honest, or Aneurin.

Dominodonkey Fri 13-Sep-13 00:25:33

Humphrey is absolutely awful.

Never heard of the other one so find it hard to have an opinion. If it is pronounced Oran as some suggest then think that sounds quite nice.

burberryqueen Fri 13-Sep-13 00:33:01

Humphrey and Aneurin are both dreadful, sorry.
I did know an Oran, but honestly thought it was invented

RoadToTuapeka Fri 13-Sep-13 02:58:10

I don't like any of them. Poor child if he ends up with one of those three names. Odhran is maybe the least awful if only because few people will take an adult Humphrey seriously.

Hooya Fri 13-Sep-13 06:44:48

Like Humphrey and Aneurin though blush I don't actually know how to pronounce it, but nickname Nye is lovely. And a lovely history as it was the founder of the NHS I think?

If you like Odhran do it. I know enough people with unusual names who have to spell them, it's just not a big deal and starts a conversation about where they are from etc.

SelectAUserName Fri 13-Sep-13 07:29:44

I know an Oran but he (or his parents, I suppose) spelled it Oran.

Even though there have been cool Humphreys such as Bogart and Lyttleton, my instinctive response to it is to laugh, and that's not great, is it? blush

Aneurin is okay but my phone wants to autocorrect to aneurism as well.

burberryqueen Fri 13-Sep-13 07:52:01

I don't actually know how to pronounce it
A-nye-rin
i do not mean to be offensive but even in Wales this name seems to be restricted to the over 80s

Pachacuti Fri 13-Sep-13 08:25:03

Names that are "restricted to the over 80s" are exactly the sort of names that are probably about to become huge for babies, though.

They are all fine -- Humphrey has grandfather chic, Odhran has Celtic chic and Aneurin has both grin. But they are very different and I don't know how you're going to decide.

ZolaBuddleia Fri 13-Sep-13 08:42:58

Aneurin is my fave, but I think that might be because of Mr Barnard.

burberryqueen Fri 13-Sep-13 08:51:05

Bevin?

SlightlyItchyBraStrap Fri 13-Sep-13 10:04:55

They're all great, roll the dice!

TidyDancer Fri 13-Sep-13 12:05:43

Eek sorry, I think Humphrey and Odhran are awful.

Aneurin (which my iPad wants to autocorrect to aneurism....) is marginally better, but is still not really very nice.

nurseneedshelp Fri 13-Sep-13 12:14:15

Sorry think they're both awful. .....

IslaValargeone Fri 13-Sep-13 12:19:29

Most people aren't going to say "Excuse me, but how do you pronounce your name"?
Most people are going to be like the posters here who don't know and take one look and think 'Odran' It's an awful name.

Artijoke Fri 13-Sep-13 12:20:29

Love all three. Humphrey is probably my fav but I have to admit we weren't brave enough to use it.

rachel234 Fri 13-Sep-13 13:49:15

I vote for Humphrey - classic, cool and easy to pronounce/spell. I also prefer Humphrey Aneurin compared to Odhran Aneurin. Congrats on your ds!!

WeAreSeven Fri 13-Sep-13 15:49:52

I have a very Irish surname. Even Irish people who meet me ask how to pronounce it and if I don't know how to pronounce someone else's name I ask. I am not bothered about it, people only ever ask me once and then they get it right.
And if everyone stuck to the "no names that an English person might not be able to pronounce" ( and I do mean English, not Scottish or Welsh) then most people in the UK would be John or Mary and their would be no Siobháns, Niamhs, Eilidh's or Seáns or Cerys's.

elcranko Fri 13-Sep-13 16:19:40

Love Odhran!

PoppadomPreach Fri 13-Sep-13 16:25:08

I had a tortoise called Humphrey. He was never the "cool tortoise" and teased by the other tortoises. I felt very guilty about it and vowed never to use the name again. It is awful.

mathanxiety Sat 14-Sep-13 04:44:51

Odhran would be my choice. I wouldn't inflict Humphrey on anyone.

It's a whim of your H's - maybe something to do with not yet being able to wrap his head around the new arrival - and he needs to get real. The name you choose has to last a real person all through his life.

Aneurin otoh is a lovely name (imo)

You wouldn't think of Aran? No way you could use Aneurin as a mn for that, or Odhran either really...

mathanxiety Sat 14-Sep-13 04:47:11

Woops - you're not thinking of Aneurin as a mn <misread> -->
Choose Aneurin as the first name.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 14-Sep-13 12:21:21

Aneurin.

It's pronounced Ah-nay-rin though. Never been quite sure how Mr Bevan was nicknamed Nye. Aneurin Barnard is a young and very handsome actor <swoon>

Then Odhran. As someone said up thread if people didn't know, just as I didn't until this thread, they can ask and be told.

Never Humphrey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now