We need some help... urgently!

(38 Posts)
superdupermama Mon 09-Sep-13 21:57:47

Our daughter's name is Elizabeth. We would like to add a middle name on her birth certificate and the deadline is tomorrow. We would like to choose a name which flows nicely with Elizabeth, but more importantly to give her options should she decide to be known by her middle name.

The choices are as follows:

Elizabeth Sophia
Elizabeth Sophie
Elizabeth Alice
Elizabeth Amelia/Amelie
Elizabeth Olivia
Elizabeth Emma

Which name do you prefer and why, please? Thanks!!!

CordeliaRose Thu 12-Sep-13 09:10:17

Lovely! Thanks for letting us know smile

Onyabike Wed 11-Sep-13 22:25:14

Great choice - lovely name! Thanks for the update.

AuntyPippaAndUncleHarry Wed 11-Sep-13 22:15:08

Beautiful, sophisticated, strong names. Love it!

Bowlersarm Wed 11-Sep-13 20:05:55

Lovely name. Thank you for the update, it's nice to know.

superdupermama Wed 11-Sep-13 20:01:24

Hi girls, we did name our girl Elizabeth Sophia in the end! Thank you so much for all your lovely input and all the best with your little ones! Xxx

AuntyPippaAndUncleHarry Wed 11-Sep-13 15:30:06

OP what did you go for in the end?

Onyabike Wed 11-Sep-13 12:46:55

In answer to your most recent post, I personally think both Elizabeth and Alice are perfectly ok names but, put together, are a little old fashioned (and a little boring). I much prefer Sophia to Alice as Alice is just too plain for my tastes. Good luck with your decision!

Another vote for Elizabeth Alice. Yes they are similar sounding but in a delightful 'Millie Mollie Mandy' type of way!

Elizabeth Alice is lovely. I really don't like Sophia and it doesn't go with Elizabeth.

FingersCrossedLegsNot Tue 10-Sep-13 20:23:56

Elizabeth Alice

Ihatepeas Tue 10-Sep-13 19:23:40

I think Elizabeth Alice is gorgeous!

elvisola Tue 10-Sep-13 11:01:17

Elizabeth Alice is gorgeous.

Onyabike Tue 10-Sep-13 11:00:24

Another vote for Elizabeth Sophia from me!

Layl77 Tue 10-Sep-13 09:42:06

Elizabeth Sophia lovely

superdupermama Tue 10-Sep-13 07:38:04

We have a 4 syllable surname!!! It's quite a lot with the name such as Elizabeth, but my husband loved it. Somehow Sophia Elizabeth flows, but Elizabeth Sophia is a bit of a mouthful...
Is Elizabeth Alice a bit too old-fashioned?
What about Alice and Sophia as names in general, which one do you prefer?

LeoandBoosmum Tue 10-Sep-13 00:46:05

I know a lot say Sophia but I hate that name...I personally feel it's a name posh people call their cat grin I like Elizabeth Alice.Elizabeth Faith is nice, as one poster suggested. May I offer Elizabeth Cerys (Cerys is Welsh for gift) smile

wigglytoes Mon 09-Sep-13 23:18:11

How many syllables does your last name have?

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Mon 09-Sep-13 22:59:21

It depends on your surname as well.

TBH middle names are so seldom used that worrying about it in conjunction with possible nicknames is a tad pointless smile She's not likely to use her middle name while using a diminutive of her 'real' name.

Definitely Sophia over Sophie.

superdupermama Mon 09-Sep-13 22:54:18

Also, which name would work with the nickname Eliza? Eliza Sophia (both ending with "a"?), Eliza Sophie, Eliza Alice (too similar sounding?)?

superdupermama Mon 09-Sep-13 22:48:56

Another question. I agree short one syllable middle name would be perfect with the long name such as Elizabeth. Is Elizabeth Sophia a bit of a mouthful, a little too long?

capercaillie Mon 09-Sep-13 22:41:10

Elizabeth Alice is lovely.

DizzyPurple Mon 09-Sep-13 22:39:41

Sophia

CordeliaRose Mon 09-Sep-13 22:37:53

I agree - Elizabeth Sophia.

Elizabeth Sophia is perfect. My favourite by far - beautiful choice.

I like Elizabeth Alice too, but my favourite nickname for Elizabeth is Elise, and Elise Alice doesn't work.

I prefer Sophia, has a lovely lilt to it, and a little bit exotic ie less English but slightly rah in a good way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now