A sibling for Xavier

(43 Posts)
blondieblondieblondie Mon 09-Sep-13 20:39:31

Hi, I have never posted here before, but wanted some unbiased advice on a sibling name.

My DS1 is called Xavier (prn Zay - vee- er)

and for my bump if a boy we are thinking: Roman, Jackson or Tadhg
and if a girl (we both really don't like girls names!) are thinking: Noah, Ivy, Ngaio or Kieren

what do people think? any other suggestions?

evamummy Mon 16-Sep-13 14:00:35

Xavier & Quentin or Tristan

Xavier & Ivy or how about Luna?

LeoandBoosmum Mon 16-Sep-13 02:44:42

Fraser would also work well with Xavier

LeoandBoosmum Mon 16-Sep-13 02:35:44

A nice girls' name that would go well alongside Xavier is Thea, imho.
For a boys' name I think Auden, Alexander or Rupert would go well.

fuzzpig Sun 15-Sep-13 14:07:22

Amelie for a girl, Benedict for a boy.

I LOVE the name Xavier BTW, but DH vetoed it because he said people would pronounce it Ex A Vee Er like the X men character angry

BNmum Sun 15-Sep-13 08:22:03

You could be right rachel although he wrote it as Roman, either way both are nice.

rachel234 Sat 14-Sep-13 22:29:58

Of he was french, he was probably Romain. Also lovely.

BNmum Sat 14-Sep-13 20:41:38

I like the name Roman after having an amazing french ski instructor with this name. On that basis I would have said it 'goes" well with Xavier.

I like Ivy from your girls list too. What about Keira or Caoire for a girl rather than Keiren?

Eden?

SelectAUserName Sat 14-Sep-13 20:26:41

I know one Tadhg and he pronounces it "Tye-g" with quite a soft/faint "g" sound at the end.

lemonstartree Sat 14-Sep-13 20:24:17

Tadhg how do you pronounce this ?

HopeS01 Sat 14-Sep-13 17:48:49

I love Roman, I'm considering it for my own baby (if I have a boy!), and Noa would be on my list for a girl if my male cousin weren't a Noah.

From the other suggestions, Nova is very sweet

kiwik Sat 14-Sep-13 13:02:48

Ngaio just makes me think of the Wellington suburb.
Agree that Noa is better than Noah for a girl. I hate boys names used on girls though - have a friend names Kieren who has always struggled with having a boy name (she is still hating it now).
I like Tadgh, but don't think it really works with Xavier. One is French and the other Gaelic.
How about Theo, Dominic, Nicholas or Etienne?

diddl Sat 14-Sep-13 12:37:47

I like Roman & Ivy from your list.

What about Megan or Imogen?-too "girly"?

Jenijena Sat 14-Sep-13 06:05:29

Just because you don't like girls names doesn't mean you should call any daughter of yours a boy name sad I agree with everyone who says she has to live with it.

SelectAUserName Sat 14-Sep-13 05:54:59

TheRedQueen said everything I wanted to. You might not like traditional girls' names, but you're not the one who is going to have to go through life seeing the look of surprise on an interviewer's face when they expected a man to walk in, to watch people assume they mis-heard your introduction and cast around for the nearest female equivalent etc. Okay, "Noah" might technically be used for both sexes in the Bible but to your average secular person it's pretty much only associated with the MAN who built the ark.

For all you know, if you have a daughter she may grow up to be the girliest girl ever, so at least give her some options to express that as TheRedQueen suggested.

toobreathless Sat 14-Sep-13 00:56:59

Agree with BikeRunSki I would use Noa for a girl (pronounced the same as Noah)

Love Xavier.

Love Roman (& also Rohan/Rowan)

Jackson meh. Not my thing. I find it rather boring.

Tadhg, how do you pronounce this? Can't really comment on that one.

My other boy suggestions would be:
Alec, Hector (Tor), Lysander, Sebastian, Louis, Ambrose, Clement, Rupert, Maurice, Ernest, Edwin.

Girl:
Love Noa, Ivy.

Again how do you pronounce Ngaio?

Not a fan of Kieren for a girl, or even Kira.

Or:
Caitriona, Piper, Rowan, Wren, Tabitha, Nina, Merryn.

BikeRunSki Fri 13-Sep-13 23:44:14

Isn'r it "Noa" for a girl ?

Chip86 Fri 13-Sep-13 23:38:58

How about Eliotte/Elliot for a girl

Chip86 Fri 13-Sep-13 23:38:09

How about Eliotte/Elliot for a girl

Artandco Fri 13-Sep-13 18:36:39

Nuala
Nova
Romily

Aspen
Otto
Quentin

chartreuse Fri 13-Sep-13 18:10:37

One of my boys is Louis Xavier, although we pronounce it zav-ee-air. I love the way the names sound together.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 13-Sep-13 17:39:06

I like Roman

I think Rafael

or what about:

Luke
Marcus

I like Ivy

Noa would be a better spelling than Noah (which is a boys name)

What about

Robyn
Stevie if you like masculinish (made up word) names

rachel234 Fri 13-Sep-13 13:54:30

I like Xavier & Quentin, Roman, Louis or Cassius.
For girls, how about Noa (without the h), Luna and I like Ivy.

TheRedQueen Wed 11-Sep-13 22:54:45

For what it's worth (and that's not much!) I love Xavier but dislike all of your suggestions for boys and girls and would be particularly hesitant to give a girl a name that is primarily associated with boys EVEN IF it is a actually a girls' name too (and vice versa).

The fact is that however much you may not like girls' names, your (potential!) daughter is going to have to live with the name and may herself prefer something feminine. I would therefore be tempted to take the middle line and give her a girls' name than can be shortened to a boys' name, e.g. Jolanda (but call her Jo) or Charlotte (but call her Charlie) or a name that simply sounds like a boys' name when spoken, eg. Robyn.

That aside, as a purely French name for a girl, what about Ines? (I think this may be due an accent over the "e" but my computer is not having it!). Alternatively, simply as an unusual name, how about Aino (which is Finnish and means "The only one") or perhaps Esme or Eira (Swedish for snow and, I think, may have a Welsh meaning, too)? Alternatively, I like the Nordic name "Berit" which has the meaning "splendid" (which, incidentally, is the same meaning as Xavier in Arabic).

For a boy, how about Espen?

Good luck with finding something. It's not at all easy.

forehead Wed 11-Sep-13 22:12:00

Sophia

looki Wed 11-Sep-13 22:09:27

If thats your reasoning you could call her Book, Sink, Pear, Bread....,the list is endless. Personally I wouldn't....,,,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now