Miranda, Angharad, Bernadine? Any other suggestions?

(33 Posts)
AngelaOxford Mon 09-Sep-13 19:05:24

So after some major rows with my husband, and a lot of childish behaviour from my mother, I have agreed to drop the option of naming my daughter, Mary, after my mother-in-law.

Here we are, 2 weeks prior to the due date, with no name for our daughter and with a mother who keeps calling me because she wants to "hang out"... I am furious and trying to decide on a name for our little girl.

We both like Miranda, Angharad and Bernadine. My husband also likes Gwendolen and Phoebe, and I like Sophie, Genevieve and Gillian.

Which names do you like? Do you have any other suggestions?

I am so incredibly frustrated and irritated with the situation, because instead of enjoying this time before we have our second child, our life has just turned into a big fight between ourselves, and between my mother and I.

SelectAUserName Sat 14-Sep-13 06:05:18

Genevieve and Miranda are two of my favourite names so they'd be my choice.

I'd go with Genevieve Mary. Your mother has apologised and sent flowers. This could either be as an acknowledgement she was in the wrong, in which case she should now accept your baby's name is your and your DP's choice so there is no reason not to use your chosen name as a MN at least; or she thinks she has "won" and can afford to make a magnanimous - but ultimately meaningless - gesture of contrition she doesn't really feel. Whichever it is, in your shoes there'd be a "Mary" on my DD's birth certificate somewhere.

diddl Sat 14-Sep-13 12:40:52

I love Angharad & Miranda.

With Mary as a middle name?

thegreylady Sat 14-Sep-13 17:18:10

What a shame-Mary is such a beautiful name.
Of your list I love Miranda and Phoebe and like mst of the rest the exception is Bernardine which I think is awful [sorry].
Your mum is being unfair but aI'd accept the apology and the flowers and move on.I'd have Mary in there though!

whippetwoman Sat 14-Sep-13 22:06:52

Rosamund Mary is lovely, as is Miranda. I rather like Bernadine, it's unusual, maybe a bit kitsch but in a good way smile

Mutteroo Sun 15-Sep-13 00:16:16

I vote for Mary!

I discovered my DD's name 10 days before she was born, told my mum the name to which she replied "I hate it". Made me completely fall in love with it & when DH came up with the same name, we had to choose it. Call your baby girl whatever you want. Your mother is being childish & will get over it.

ToffeeCaramel Sun 15-Sep-13 01:09:48

I like Mary, Marianne and Miranda.

BrunoMarsBar Sun 15-Sep-13 01:59:54

Marianne Gwendolen Sophie Surname

flowers

If you do go for Mary why not Mairi with the squiggle thing over the a.
Alternatively Maura.

All the best xx

BettyBi0 Wed 25-Sep-13 09:58:20

Love Bernadine. Not sure about Angharad. Am I being thick but how do you pronounce it? As in anger?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now