Just to check I'm completely certain try and talk me out of this..... Or tell me its lovely

(261 Posts)
IneedAsockamnesty Fri 06-Sep-13 17:06:46

Pandora Minerva.

I'm pretty sure I've finally decided and will not disclose this to anybody in real life to prevent the puppy and kitten naming recent happenings I had initially decided to keep the stolen for kitten name but going by the recent ons list its looking like it may well be about to do a ruby so have changed my mind and this name is one that jumped out at me.

So what do you reckon?

Patilla Fri 06-Sep-13 21:14:27

I like the name pandora but personally couldn't name my child after a character known for releasing all evil into the world.

But everyone likes different things or we would all be called Brian.

Hopefully this thread will have helped you work out how you feel. And good luck!

TSSDNCOP Fri 06-Sep-13 21:20:16

It's going to be tough for the Registrar to keep a straight face.

Octavia's the best on your list. With such a super fancy first name would a person really need a middle name at all?

ILikeBirds Fri 06-Sep-13 21:23:51

"Minerva - sounds like a version of oral contraceptive"

That's because it is! home.intekom.com/pharm/schering/minerva.html

I like Pandora but not keen on Minerva and hate the two combined grin

CeliaLytton Fri 06-Sep-13 22:15:31

CPtart you are absolutely right, Cricket is the worst name vie heard in a long time grin

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 06-Sep-13 22:17:17

I like the name pandora but personally couldn't name my child after a character known for releasing all evil into the world

She also saved hope and nobody at all has such an issue with eve.

TSSDNCOP your probaly correct but only because the registra around these parts is my sil and she can't keep a straight face when talking to me ever since the great fart of 1993

As to both names togather,are there ever occasions in life ever when anybody uses your full name because other than data protection confirming I can't think of any

Bluestocking Fri 06-Sep-13 22:19:54

I need to know more about the great fart of 1993.

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 06-Sep-13 22:20:14

*"Minerva - sounds like a version of oral contraceptive"

That's because it is! home.intekom.com/pharm/schering/minerva.html*

Bollocks bollocks bollocks its a bloody conspiracy

PoppyAmex Fri 06-Sep-13 22:23:29

I don't think they go together, phonetically (too many "a" sounds) or stylistically (too long, too much mythology).

At the same time, it also sounds like a brand for feminine hygiene products. Sorry OP!

Octavia is nice.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 06-Sep-13 22:26:43

They are both Posh, and my own prejudice is against Posh-sounding names. Unless you are posh.

Pandora also just doesn't sound all that nice to me. It has the word pan in it

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 06-Sep-13 22:27:50

Blue.

Think very very formal location dinner fart loud enough to be heard in the next room and me faced with 2 options 1. Go red and leave crying with the shame 2. Say rather loudly forgive me my lord I do believe I heard thunder

I chose 2 closely followed by actually dropping to my knees I was laughing so much.

Not so much in its self un live down able well not if the laughing hadn't meant I very visibly peed myself

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 06-Sep-13 22:29:28

It probably won't surprise you to learn I don't like Octavia either. It makes me think of Octopus. And Skoda cars (which, actually are good cars)

<crashes about offending people left right and centre>

sleepingbeautiful Fri 06-Sep-13 22:31:59

I like them both and am slightly envious your DP is (I assume) willing to agree to two somewhat exciting names, unlike mine who needed 8 months battle to get a tiny bit off the norm for just middle names! :p
I do think the two names are a bit much together unless you have a boring surname like Hill or Smith. Having the second name with a different number of syllables or end sound would be better imo.
Pandora Violet
Minerva Ruby
Etc

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 06-Sep-13 22:34:32

What about

Viola
Cordelia
Vanessa

sleepingbeautiful Fri 06-Sep-13 22:36:38

Re your both names together question, I was also thinking if you have a daughter who's eventual personal identity just jars with <classics> name, then she has no other option. Just the same as the poster recently who liked Daisy Belle and made me say noooo in case her daughter grew up to be the antithesis of <cutesy> name type.

FourGates Fri 06-Sep-13 22:37:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 06-Sep-13 22:40:12

Thalia
Hera
Persephone
Panacea

Viviennemary Fri 06-Sep-13 22:40:59

I like the name Pandora a lot. But it just doesn't go with Minerva. Which I am not too keen on.

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 06-Sep-13 22:46:43

I already have a Cordelia and a Persephone

Minerva is now being considered for removal due to the pharmaceutical industries obvious conspiracy grin

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 06-Sep-13 22:47:44

Sock

You do?? Really or are you joshing me?

If so I love those

lottiegarbanzo Fri 06-Sep-13 22:51:35

Violet is great and I don't think it will be so massively popular as ruby. I'd use that with one of those names.

No-one under 30 or prob 35 knows about Adrian Mole.

If I was called those names I think I'd use Dora. I don't much like the pan part. I'd wish I was called Theodora instead, as Thea is nice and it's a much nicer sound, or Isadora, likewise.

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 06-Sep-13 22:53:39

I do indeed Jamie.

sleepingbeautiful Fri 06-Sep-13 22:57:35

Nice! I'd like to be called Persephone (Percy)!
If you are going to keep Pandora, do you want more mn suggestions or are you sticking two fingers up at GP and the kitten?

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 06-Sep-13 22:59:05

Do you call Persephone "Percy?" - I was thinking that would be a cute NN for a small child.

Sorry to sound a bit rude earlier. I have a posh name myself and have never really like it...

it's interesting that the ones I suggested (which I genuinely like) are to your taste so I'm not sure I can say why I don't like Pandora and Minerva

kaosak Fri 06-Sep-13 23:01:52

Cordelia and Persephone are both lovely names, of a certain type but can live with that.

Pandora Minerva is on the hand completely ott and utterly ridiculous. Far too contrived.

I just said it out loud to an empty kitchen - such a mouthful. Does your surname begin with a T? Quite liking PMT....

In my considered opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now