Georgiana, Louisa or Beatrice

(28 Posts)
louloutheshamed Fri 06-Sep-13 13:25:08

Final 3 girls names.

Georgiana pronounced georg-Eee-ah-na not like that Keira K film.

Dc1 is Henry.

spixblue Fri 06-Sep-13 13:31:26

They're all lovely names. If pushed I'd go Beatrice, Georgiana, Louisa in order of preference - but would probably change my mind tomorrow. Enjoy choosing!

noodlebum Fri 06-Sep-13 13:53:14

I like Georgiana best, but the other 2 are nice aswell, good little list!

Llanbobl Fri 06-Sep-13 15:31:32

I really like Georgiana (pronounced as you would) but would worry I'd spend all my time correcting people who said George-ina.

louloutheshamed Fri 06-Sep-13 17:14:06

Yes I worry about that too. I do like the nn Georgie though.

TallulahBetty Fri 06-Sep-13 17:50:43

Louisa. But Georgia over that smile

nomorecrumbs Fri 06-Sep-13 17:52:09

I always loved the name Louisa. It's a little old-fashioned but becoming slightly more common now I think. Plus she can always change it to Louise or Lou or whatever if she hates it grin

Writerwannabe83 Fri 06-Sep-13 18:10:06

I love the name Beatrice with the nickname Bea.
It's just lovely - it makes me think of Kill Bill and Beatrix was a brilliant character!!! Total Girl Power!! smile

CPtart Fri 06-Sep-13 18:25:27

Louisa by a mile.

CruCru Fri 06-Sep-13 18:32:46

I love Beatrice but it has been firmly vetoed by DH.

Manoodledo Fri 06-Sep-13 18:33:22

Louisa for me too.

Georgiana - lovely. Makes me think of P&P. All nice though.

Saffyz Fri 06-Sep-13 18:49:10

1. Beatrice
2. Louisa
3. Georgiana

exoticfruits Fri 06-Sep-13 18:54:17

Louisa is lovely.

NadiaWadia Fri 06-Sep-13 19:14:24

Georgiana is nice, and it is interesting to see it making a comeback (previously only came across it in Jane Austen and similar). Makes a change from Georgina or Georgia (though they are nice too)

Louisa is also nice. Beatrice isn't, really.

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 06-Sep-13 19:15:46

Georgie can be a nn for Georgia too smile but I like georgiana also

Leeds2 Fri 06-Sep-13 19:42:05

Louisa for me.

I like Georgiana, but it would annoy me when she got called Georgina. Which, I think, she inevitably would.

SleepyCatOnTheMat Fri 06-Sep-13 20:08:59

Before reading The Duchess/seeing the film I would've pronounced Georgiana as 'Georgie-anna', so that's something you'd have to be prepared for too. I really like it no matter how it's pronounced but I think constantly correcting people's pronunciation would bug me after a while personally. Beatrice is lovely too but even that has a pronunciation issue ('Bee-a-triss' or 'Beer-triss'?). Louisa is nice and simple! They all go well with Henry.

MichaelBubleBath Sat 07-Sep-13 00:52:53

Luisa (prefer the German spelling)

boogliewoogliepiggy Thu 26-Sep-13 13:29:14

LOVE Georgiana (though I am biased as it is DD's name) smile
Others very lovely too, but would personally say:
1) Georgiana
2) Beatrice
3) Louisa
FYI we had same concerns as you re people getting it wrong, but in reality we have found that only very very rarely do people get it wrong and call her Georgina. We pronounce Georgiana exactly the way you have described (the pronunciation in The Duchess just sounded weird and wrong to our ears). Georgie as a nn is gorgeous - although funnily enough people occasionally hear me addressing her as Georgie and think I have said Georgia... but that probably says more about my diction than anything else.
I liked Clementine but if it was abbreviated to Clemmie (which I also liked) DH pointed out that with our surname Clemmie XXXX would have sounded like some kind of woman's sanitary product. He is absolutely right as it happens, but it still makes me chuckle when I recall him first saying it.
My vote would definitely be for Georgiana. (Oh and I love Henry too. Great names!)

MrsDibble Thu 26-Sep-13 14:21:34

I like Beatrice and Louisa both very much. I also like the spelling Luisa, which they use in Italy too.

I wondered when I watched Duchess whether that was how Georgiana was always pronounced? I have not met anybody called it so don't know.

In my head I always pronounced it your way, for instance in Pride and Prejudice where it is the name of Mr Darcy's sister. But wondered if that was just me getting it wrong.

The reason I mention it is, will there be a lot of people pronouncing it the Duchess way? Do you mind if you have to correct them?

Louisa/Luisa (Spanish) but im bias as I am one! My middle name Maria goes nicely too smile

YoMamma Thu 26-Sep-13 15:56:29

My order of preference is Beatrice, Louisa, Georgiana. I think Georgiana is a bit of a mouthful and prefer Georgia or Georgina.

How about spelling it Georgianna then it looks a little less like Georgina, love it tho!

BikeRunSki Thu 26-Sep-13 18:18:07

Louisa by a very long way
Then Beatrice
I don' t like Georgiana at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now