Anyone have a 'just' Tilda?

(38 Posts)
MortifiedAdams Tue 03-Sep-13 11:53:51

For hypothetical future dd, I like Matilda but dd1s name starts with M and the two.names.together are a bit twee.

What about 'just' Tilda?

Fwiw, dds name is technically a shortening for.two.names, neither of which we liked so just gave her the shortening.

SleepyFish Tue 03-Sep-13 18:27:40

I love Tilda and Matilda, nice strong names. I was going to call mine that except she turned out to be a he. Tilly is nice as a nn if you wanted to 'soften' it in her younger years.

juneau Tue 03-Sep-13 18:29:12

Yup - basmati for me too.

Yonionekanobe Tue 03-Sep-13 19:29:30

Rice, I'm afraid. Sorry OP. It is actually very pretty.

MollyBerry Tue 03-Sep-13 19:44:20

Totally rice.

I think two m s is ok. Plus there are other shortenings of Matilda which she might prefer to use

superlambanana Tue 03-Sep-13 20:25:25

The rice thing never occurred to me - I just thought of Tilda Swinton. I think it's really pretty, and unusual without being weird smile

I like Tilda.

And, for what it's worth, I followed the advice of not giving a child a nn and named DD2 the proper name. Lived to regret it. The nn would have been sooo much better.

MortifiedAdams Tue 03-Sep-13 20:32:27

I definetly will.never be persuaded to use a full.name if I love the nn (and know I will never use the full).

Dds name is utterly perfect so I would be happy to do.it again.

I would always go for the longer name and leave it up to my child to choose, but with that in mind would only choose a name where I like both long and short versions. I would hate to have been given my short name (which I use quite happily) as my full name.

I love the name Tilda and think it sounds lovely with Meg.

Tropicalchancer Tue 03-Sep-13 21:23:53

Tilda swinton-an amazing actress smile

I love Tilda! DDs friend is Tilda and it's a great name.

Differing to several on here I think you should name a child what you plan on calling them.

williaminajetfighter Tue 03-Sep-13 23:10:36

My 7yo is Matilda but we have always called her Tilda or Tildy.

I don't immediately get the rice reference as not originally from the UK but love the ref to Tilda Swinton who is amazing. I think the name works at 7, 27 or 77. Go for it.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 04-Sep-13 17:47:44

I'm not sure it stands on it's own in the same way Meg does.

Tilda Swinton is actually called Katherine (Matilda).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now