What do you think of Sunny?

(82 Posts)
CassieAndKez Mon 02-Sep-13 09:41:16

What do you think of Sunny as a boy's name? I love it and we're thinking of using it, but not sure whether to spell it "Sunny" or "Sonny", I like it with a 'U' but hubby thinks it's too feminine and should be spelt with a 'O'; opinions please??? :D

LEMisdisappointed Mon 02-Sep-13 09:43:55

I like the name,although it does sound a little mafioso - i named my mum's dog Sunny though, although i think i wanted it to be Sonny, im my mind its sunny smile Isn't there a song? is that about a boy or girl?

Just don't have james as a second name smile

Seriously though, i like the name but to me, it should be spelt sonny

tethersend Mon 02-Sep-13 09:47:02

Lovely name, should be spelled with an O though.

MikeLitoris Mon 02-Sep-13 09:47:37

We have a sonny in the family.

I love it.

He has a different name on his birth cert though. No one ever uses it.

LEMisdisappointed Mon 02-Sep-13 09:47:44

Oh my GOD! i clicked on that link to the mumsnet name finder and there is a bit that predicts what they will wear?? MNHQ REALLY?????? <wanders off to put lucy in>

TheContrastofWhiteonWhite Mon 02-Sep-13 09:48:14

Oooh, Sonny definitely. Sonny is a boys' name (although you might find lots of MN not keen on it since it started out as a pet name). Sunny is weather.

I also agree that, spelled Sunny it sounds like a girls' name that comes from the same vein as Autumn and Summer.

Sorry, is that a bit blunt? Sonny would be lovely smile

RoadToTuapeka Mon 02-Sep-13 09:50:33

I think Sunny would be just about bearable for a girl, although I still don't like it. Sunny for a boy, awful. Sonny as a boy's nn maybe but as a given name seems unfortunate.

MerryMarigold Mon 02-Sep-13 09:50:49

I know a Sunny, but she's a girl.

bridgetsmum Mon 02-Sep-13 09:51:45

I HATE it, sounds silly to me
Sorry hmm

MortifiedAdams Mon 02-Sep-13 09:53:41

Should be Sonny.

curlew Mon 02-Sep-13 09:53:50

Oh, please don't. Remember you're naming a man, not a baby or a toddler. As someone on here once said, you might as well call him YoungFellerMeLad. Or Chummy.

DowntonTrout Mon 02-Sep-13 09:55:56

I know two boys called Sonny.

I think you are setting up problems with Sunny as you will forever be explaining how to spell it.

LEMisdisappointed Mon 02-Sep-13 09:59:16

oh actually scrap that last post - lucy is name of the day grin

KatyPutTheCuttleOn Mon 02-Sep-13 10:00:48

Sunny Delight grin

ClartyCarol Mon 02-Sep-13 10:01:21

Definitely use Sonny spelling. Sunny to me is an elderly woman with huuuuuge glasses.

Blatherskite Mon 02-Sep-13 10:03:00

I think however you spell it, everyone will assume it's spelt Sonny and you'll be forever correcting them if you choose the other spelling.

That said, it sounds more like a term of endearment than a name to me. It doesn't sound like a name for a grown up either. I can't imagine a 50 year old Sonny, he'd be more Daddy by then...

GobblersKnob Mon 02-Sep-13 10:04:32

I like it, but it needs to be Sonny.

Song

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 02-Sep-13 10:10:27

For a baby its bearable spelt correctly but for aman its awful. Imagine his business cards in future.

Its not a name i would use as anything other than anick name and even then unlikely.

Bowlersarm Mon 02-Sep-13 10:12:08

I don't like it spelt either way. Sorry op.

It just doesn't sound like a name to me. More of a noise.

I just can't imagine calling a man 'Sonny'

5madthings Mon 02-Sep-13 10:12:47

Love it, I know two Sonny's but it should be spelt with an o.

dappleton Mon 02-Sep-13 10:12:49

Sonny just makes me think Sonny & Cher!
I have heard the name Sunny a couple of times but as a shortened version of an Asian name.

CockyFox Mon 02-Sep-13 10:23:03

DH has a male friend named Sunny, as above it is a short form of an Asian name I have never known his full name and don't think he uses it at all.

Spindelina Mon 02-Sep-13 10:54:49

I'd assume Sunny was nn for Sunil.

curlew Mon 02-Sep-13 10:56:35

Doesn't pass the Prime Minister test, sorry.

And just imagine being a secondary school teacher and the kids finding out.

squoosh Mon 02-Sep-13 11:39:20

I know three boys called Sonny, the oldest of whom is about 12 or 13. I don't think it's even unusual these days, it suits the Sonnys I know.

Sunny looks very girlish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now