Delia - what do you think?

(42 Posts)
AnythingNotEverything Sun 01-Sep-13 18:07:17

Just that really! There's a lovely family link - my grandad suggested the name for me as it was his mum's name, but she refused without knowing that. (And I think she's always regretted not somewhat.)

It's outside of the top 100, but spellable, unlike my unconventional name. It also has a nice meaning.

We're due in 6 weeks, and are revisiting our baby names before the big day. We had another girl's name in mind but someone in my wider friendship circle has used it this week, and it's tainted it somewhat for us.

We have a two syllable surname beginning with P.

TIA!

freerangeeggs Fri 06-Sep-13 23:52:56

I love it and I think it's actually quite cool too. Dilly is adorable.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 06-Sep-13 14:08:14

Oh purple - that makes me smile!

I think we're settled on it. 6 more weeks until we meet and find out if this wriggly bean is a girl or a boy smile

Thank you everyone!

Jemimapuddleduk Fri 06-Sep-13 14:03:05

Love it! I had this on the list for dd. I also lie Cordelia, nn Delia.

123rd Fri 06-Sep-13 00:03:13

Oh I like it. I knew a teacher and that was her first name. She was lovely.

Purplelooby Thu 05-Sep-13 21:21:40

I love it - so much so that I've just added it to my name list - ta!

GrandstandingBlueTit Thu 05-Sep-13 10:19:46

Go for it!

DS has a family name that is well-known but somewhat out of synch with the current name style, but at least it's a refreshing change from all the Charlies and Harrys and Olivers and Jacks. And he will never have to be known with a surname initial appendage.

Likewise, Delia is a lovely name, and she will become the association, over any old, Smith-related ones. wink

And again, such a nice chance from all the Millys, Lilys, Rubys, Daisys, etc...

renniemart Thu 05-Sep-13 10:14:15

delia is very nice name

Frangepani Thu 05-Sep-13 09:56:12

I agree - pretty name and lovely to have the family connection. I don't necessarily think Smith either - my first thought was of a really great girl I worked with years ago.

2children2cats Mon 02-Sep-13 20:39:14

I wanted it ( my great grandma's name) but we had a boy! I think it is a beautiful name with out being overtly feminine/ cutesy.
I loved the idea of Dilly for a baby as well. Very jealous that you get to use it!

Zoe909 Mon 02-Sep-13 20:20:18

I like it!

lesssssbeeeaaaavvvvinnnnnnyaa

evamummy Mon 02-Sep-13 20:18:35

Lovely name. Although I do think of Delia Smith - not a bad association though.

hatebeak Mon 02-Sep-13 19:44:05

Lovely. If you don't know Delia Derbyshire look her up - very cool person to share a name with.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Mon 02-Sep-13 17:54:59

It's absolutely lovely. It may be due a little bit of a revival, as there is a very popular series of kids books (similar to Wimpy Kid) called Tom Gates where the sister is called Delia. I think this is the more likely association for the current generation of kids, but she's not an unpleasant character, and it's a fab name. My DD persistently mispronounces it de-LI-ya though, which irritates me. I rather think she might be doing it on purpose now...

squoosh Mon 02-Sep-13 17:51:05

'Let's be 'avin you'.

AnythingNotEverything Mon 02-Sep-13 17:39:13

Thank you folks - I think we've made our decision.

Ta!

EnjoyEverySandwich Mon 02-Sep-13 14:29:31

Definitely go with Delia then.

If all people can come up with as a negative is Delia Smith then you have nothing to worry about! can't see anything off-putting about her. Successful, presentable, down-to-earth, responsible for thousands of people cooking and eating nice food - what's not to like.

Sunnysummer Mon 02-Sep-13 11:52:32

Delia is gorgeous! As for the Smith connection, I doubt that will be relevant for your DC's generation.

If the name has been slightly tainted, could you go with Cordelia, nn Delia? Still honouring your family, plus it's another known but uncommon name, with a nice Shakespeare connection, and other good nicknames (especially Lila). Otherwise I'd say stick with your original choice, once she comes along she will just be Delia, not Delia #2 smile

Elizabeth22 Mon 02-Sep-13 08:04:56

Delia is a lovely name.

TooTryHard Mon 02-Sep-13 07:28:26

My immediate thought was no but that's just because of the smith connotations.

On reflection, it's a really pretty sounding name, unusual but known and her generation will have no idea who Delia Smith is. Go for it!

EnjoyEverySandwich Mon 02-Sep-13 00:30:16

Ooooh, have I coined a phrase? grin

Footle Sun 01-Sep-13 23:25:09

Definitely Delia. Unusual but not peculiar, and the family connection would clinch it for me.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 01-Sep-13 23:12:02

Just to clarify - we have two girls names, and have gone off the other one. I don't feel like Delia is second choice.

I like "unusual but not peculiar". And I like it on its own, without prefix.

I love mumsnet. So many opinions. Thank you!

EnjoyEverySandwich Sun 01-Sep-13 22:53:16

I knew a Delia at school too, but she is the only one I can call to mind apart from Delia Smith. It's unusual but not peculiar in any way, and I don't see any reason for the Smith connection to be a negative. If you wanted something a bit more elaborate, there is Cordelia.

However I would stick with the name I had chosen. Just because someone you know has given their child the same name, that wouldn't put me off. These people may have disappeared off the face of your world this time next year.

juneybean Sun 01-Sep-13 21:17:52

I love Delia, the name and the chef!

sillyoldfool Sun 01-Sep-13 21:17:24

I love it, but it does make me think of delia smith. How about cordelia?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now