How do you feel about ......Arthur?

(54 Posts)
jinglebellmel Thu 29-Aug-13 20:58:15

Just that really, not sure how popular this is but think I quite like it and wondering what peoples initial reation is to it?

buttercrumble Sat 31-Aug-13 07:55:39

Absolutely love it smile

jinglebellmel Sat 31-Aug-13 07:53:29

Ok mission to convince dh begins today. I find a slow approach so he ends up thinking it was his idea works best, and I have 16 weeks to go so should be fine!

Clary Fri 30-Aug-13 23:19:11

I am always surprised at how many people know Arthurs. I know one (apart from granddads etc), he is 14 and such a lovely boy grin

He has always been the only one in his school/Scout group etc and AFAIK he has liked that fact.

Seems that it is becoming more popular as people here are saying they know 2yos etc. I don't know many littlies any more (DS2 is 10) but holiday club this week with kids aged from babies upwards was still Alfie, Ollie, Luke and Alex.

OP do use it!

FoundAChopinLizt Fri 30-Aug-13 22:54:56

I knew a lovely French boy Arthur, pronounced Artoor.

Go for it.

Lutrine Fri 30-Aug-13 22:48:58

Love it! I really wanted to call DD this if she'd been a boy, and will still use it if we ever have a DS.

Biscuitsneeded Fri 30-Aug-13 22:39:53

I used it for Ds2's middle name. He loves it and prefers it to his first name, which was a bit of a compromise. Wish we'd gone with Arthur as his actual name...

Clargo55 Fri 30-Aug-13 21:08:15

It is a lovely name imo. Will be a middle name if we have a DS.

jinglebellmel Fri 30-Aug-13 21:03:37

Too

jinglebellmel Fri 30-Aug-13 21:03:20

Thanks everyone, this is really making the name grow on me and I quite like that its not unanimously popular as hopefully this might mean it doesn't get too overused. Just need to convince dh who doesn't dislike it but doesn't love it either. Ultimately I think he will go with what makes me happy but I'd like him to love it to!

I have an Arthur who is 2.5. He is named after his great and great-great grandfathers as I do like names linked to families. I only know of one other Arthur in our area, who is about 9 but it does seem to be popular amongst mners! I don't know if/when it will be shortened to Artie?

sleepingbeautiful Fri 30-Aug-13 17:57:51

Probably the only 'old man' name that I like, due to it's appealing historical and literary conotations.
I find it much nicer than Stanley, Albert, Wilfred etc.

DanicaJones Fri 30-Aug-13 16:58:53

Not so keen on Clive!

CheeseFondueRocks Fri 30-Aug-13 16:58:39

I love it. The only reason we didn't pick it was because of my German background and us not liking the German pronunciation. If we were simply a British family, this would have been our name of choice.

ShowMeTheCoffee Fri 30-Aug-13 16:33:30

Really like it.

There is a lovely movie with Clive Owen, I think it is called The Boys are Back. Anyway, his son in the film is called Arthur but usually nicknamed Artie and I fell in love with the name (and Clive Owen grin ). Go for it.

tadado Fri 30-Aug-13 15:59:20

Arthur is a lovely name and Art/Artie great nicknames.

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Fri 30-Aug-13 15:45:07

I taught a lovely Arthur and think it is a fab name.

Also know a Stanley and an Eric. Both lovely - though it did feel odd at first calling "Eric! Over here!" and seeing this tiny little thing turn round. I think he will very much grow into his name.

EverybodysStressyEyed Fri 30-Aug-13 15:41:09

I know loads of Arthur's ranging from 0-8 yrs and a lot of celebs have used the name in the past couple of years

To me it is like jack was a few years ago.

Nice name but not very original (both that I think a name has I be original-my son has a bog standard name!).

littlemog Fri 30-Aug-13 15:36:10

One of my favourite names ever! Art is also a good shortening of it. I have no children but Arthur is one of my names iyswim! Go for it OP.

DanicaJones Fri 30-Aug-13 15:25:31

It makes me think of Olive from On the Buses and Pauline Fowler from Stenders saying it.

antshouse Fri 30-Aug-13 14:49:54

I know a few babies with Arthur as one of the middle names.

riskit4abiskit Fri 30-Aug-13 14:41:25

love it!

everlong Fri 30-Aug-13 11:47:29

Great strong name.

Always regret not using it.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 30-Aug-13 11:36:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bingeddybongo Fri 30-Aug-13 11:16:36

I love it... and we're going to use it grin - just having serious trouble coming up with a second name to go with it!!

Devora Fri 30-Aug-13 00:03:54

Love Arthur

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now