Full name for Annie?

(41 Posts)
YorkshireTeaGold Thu 29-Aug-13 16:30:57

Hi! Dd2 coming in 6 weeks and DH and I have been majorly struggling for a name. We both love Annie but in my view id like a more formal version as her full name.

I find Ann a bit dull, love Annabel but dd1 is Isobel so that's out. We both love Marianne but is that a bit too unusual? Any other suggestions? Girls names are hard! Thanks for your help, need inspiration!

MakeGlutenFreeHay Thu 29-Aug-13 16:33:47

I don't think Marianne is too unusual, especially if you like it. Others I can think of would be Anastasia, perhaps Anya, Aniela (my mw's name!). I think Annie is lovely!

Sparrowfarts Thu 29-Aug-13 16:37:23

I often call my Anna Annie, though she's Anna to everyone else.

Marianne is a lovely name.

Cuddleswithcats Thu 29-Aug-13 16:39:32

Annaliese?

harryhausen Thu 29-Aug-13 16:39:47

Gosh, Marianne is a lovely name. Reminds me of Sense and Sensibility (in a lovely, dreamy way).

Go for Marianne. I agree, Annie is just gorgeous.

tinypolkadot Thu 29-Aug-13 16:40:45

Roseanne?

soupmaker Thu 29-Aug-13 16:40:53

I love Annie, but I am biased as we have an Annie. She is Annie without having a longer, "proper" name. I'd just go with the name you like, why the need for another name that you then shorten? I really like Isobel too.

soupmaker Thu 29-Aug-13 16:42:58

I suppose our Annie's "formal" name is Annie Rose, as she has Rose in the middle. Could you give her a middle name that would work?

Ann Marie

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 29-Aug-13 17:35:20

Anne.

I dislike the Ann spelling and can't for the life of me work out why. It just looks incomplete to me.

AurorasShoes Thu 29-Aug-13 17:39:48

Marianne is lovely and goes well with Isobel

pinkpeoniesplease Thu 29-Aug-13 17:41:28

Arianne or Arianna?

Diddle82 Thu 29-Aug-13 17:42:11

Marianne is beautiful, i would go for that but i wouldnt shorten it to annie just because i love marianne too much. If you are going to call her annie all time then i would make that her 'proper' name

Ihatepeas Thu 29-Aug-13 19:51:11

Really like Anya or Anna.. not sure about Marianne.

reup Thu 29-Aug-13 19:54:40

Annalena?

annieismyname Thu 29-Aug-13 20:03:36

I'm officially Anne, but am known as Annie.

I've heard of a couple recently, and they have all been just Annie.

There are lots of different variations you could go for - Marianne could also be Marie. What about Hannah?

PurpleGirly Thu 29-Aug-13 20:04:59

Annie is perfect on its own

heidihole Thu 29-Aug-13 20:07:39

Roseanna
Anna/Hannah
Suzanne
Leanne
Roxanne

HairyPotter Thu 29-Aug-13 20:09:31

I went to school with an Annaleah, NN Annie. I thought it was lovely.

anniealan Thu 29-Aug-13 20:10:25

I'm Annie-Marie but I've shortened it to Annie tbh learning to spell my name as a kid was a nightmare better off keeping it short anyways as its not as much of a mouthful to say either

BellaVida Thu 29-Aug-13 20:16:40

Annabel
Annabella
Annalise/ Aneliese
Angelica
Angelina
Andrea
Anastasia
Annabeth
Annette
Anneka
Adrianne

Will come back if I can think of any more.....

MrsFrederickWentworth Thu 29-Aug-13 20:19:57

Annette
Anna-Maria
Susanna
Antoinette
Antonia
Agnes .( pronounced French wise, Anyas)
Andrea

But I would just have Anne. Graceful and dignified, with Annie as the nn

BlueStarsAtNight Thu 29-Aug-13 23:06:26

I think Marianne is just gorgeous, and goes perfectly with Isobel. It makes me think of Sense and Sensibility too, which is a nice association.

amessagetoyouYoni Fri 30-Aug-13 09:54:37

Marianne is a beautiful name, and perfect for the nicknmae Annie. Gets my vote.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 30-Aug-13 10:04:50

I once met someone called Annesofie (all one word, with the stress on the Anne, ANN-so-fi) and thought it was rather a lovely name. Marianne is pretty too, but there's always the risk your daughter may choose to use the full name or her friends may later choose a different shortened form (Mari) to Annie, as it's not an obvious nickname.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now