Honest views on Ralf....

(75 Posts)
legallyblond Thu 29-Aug-13 16:06:24

I'm pregnant with twins who are arriving in 10 days.... if its two boys (we don't know the sexes), first boy will be Hugo, and for the second we had decided on Ralf.

To be pronounced as it is spelt (ie not Rafe)...

I am wavering. I love the name, but....

1. Will we have a constant mispronunciation issue (we thought less chance of the "Rafe" mistake with Ralf, as opposed to Ralph)? How would you pronounce "Ralf" if you saw it?

2. I love it, but is it a "dog's name"?!? Will there be constant "I had a dog named Ralph" etc... Not sure why I think this!

Argh!

clairemum22 Mon 02-Sep-13 20:59:49

Yes, I immediately thought of judy Blume and Ralph the penis. Sorry,,

Redlocks30 Sun 01-Sep-13 22:53:30

I always think of Judy Blume when I hear this name! I wouldn't ever go for an unusual spelling either. Over the last year or so, I have taught an Aimee, a Michal, a Lukas, a Josef, a Pollie and a Yasmeen-they can be hard to get your head round and when Christmas comes and they are writing each other cards-they always plump for the more usual spelling. I much prefer the more traditional spellings.

magicstars Sun 01-Sep-13 07:24:11

Ralph & hugo are lovely names. Not so keen on the spelling Ralf though.

evamummy Sun 01-Sep-13 07:13:45

I like Ralf - classic, cool and not overused. Also love Valentina!

Mrsindecision Sun 01-Sep-13 06:48:14

I really like the name Hugo, but am not keen on Ralf. I feel that Ralf will think that he drew the short straw when it came to being named - sorry!

Are there any other names that you are considering?

Good luck with your twins smile

Writerwannabe83 Sat 31-Aug-13 23:14:19

I remember Judy Blume and read a few of her books but I don't remember a naughty one associated with the name Ralph though. I feel like I missed out on something grin

loveblackcats Sat 31-Aug-13 22:47:45
Confitdecanard Sat 31-Aug-13 21:40:48

I'm two years older than you and can still remember the page numbers of the rude bits in the Judy Blume book! However, I think Ralph is a great name and goes really well with Hugo.

BikeRunSki Brazil Sat 31-Aug-13 07:00:26

Ralf and Hughie are both part of slang terms for vomiting!

BobbyGentry Sat 31-Aug-13 05:14:25

I like Ralph (pronounced Raiph) smile

RoadToTuapeka Sat 31-Aug-13 04:42:01

I don't like it, I think of Ralf off the Simpsons, and also Ralf meaning 'barf' in some slang, and have a mental image of someone ineffectual, unfortunately

ShowOfHands Fri 30-Aug-13 23:42:46

You're the perfect age for Ralph to be associated with the Judy Blume book. I'm a year older than you and it was banned at my school. Of course people then passed around illicit copies.

None of that matters though. Ralph is a great name and I'd imagine the majority won't think of JB. Even if they do. they'll soon just associate Ralph with your little ds.

Good luck with the twins!

legallyblond Fri 30-Aug-13 23:33:35

I do genuinely appreciate the feedback! Judy Blume really does mean nothing to me... I do remember the name of the author, but don't recall ever reading any of her books, or certainly they didn't make any more if an impact than any of the other four books a week I would have got out of the library.... Am I too young / old? I'm 31....

And since posting here and on an earlier post, I have asked lots of RL people about Ralphing = vomiting, and no one (literally no one!) has heard of it... Again, generational, or perhaps regional (I'm from Westcountry, went to uni in London and Paris...)?

DalmationDots Fri 30-Aug-13 23:05:22

Judy Blume's book came to me too, sorry!

SilveryMoon Fri 30-Aug-13 20:57:13

I like Ralf. Either spelling too Ralf/Ralph but think I prefer Ralf actually

I knew a very nice Hugo and Ralph at university who were good friends, I think the names go well together for brothers. I have never heard of any links to willies or vomit or known any dogs called Ralph... I did know one pronounced as Raif but I would always assume it was said as it looks unless corrected.

LickleLemon Fri 30-Aug-13 19:46:53

I really like it. I have seen 2 babies called Ralph (spelt ph) this year (1 up north and 1 down south mind) so wonder if its making a comeback.

I see Ralf - as Ralf and not Rafe. I would not even think Rafe.

Teamjavert Fri 30-Aug-13 19:38:27

Awful. Unattractive,and there's the vomiting association.

Another one who associates it with the penis of the male lead in Forever!
But looks like you have already made up your mind smile

LeoandBoosmum Fri 30-Aug-13 19:19:37

I like Ralph, not Ralf smile We almost called our Westie that... (not being funny!) smile

squoosh Fri 30-Aug-13 11:00:38

'there could be funny jokes, negative connotations and funny people connected to most names, but most of us don't think of them.'

I'd change that to 'most of us don't mention them'. I'm not referring to Ralph in particular here but to names in general. I'd certainly never mention my negative thoughts about a child's name to the parents, that would be beyond rude. But I'd think them.

Lovely names OP. Ignore the negative comments, I've never read Judy Blume, nor have my friends (I think that is the previous generation). 13 months on and we have only had comments liking our Ralph's name. As someone sensible further up the thread said, there could be funny jokes, negative connotations and funny people connected to most names, but most of us don't think of them.

madoldbird Fri 30-Aug-13 09:58:20

What about Rafferty? Goes really well with Hugo, and can be shortened to Raff, which gives a very similar sound.

Writerwannabe83 Fri 30-Aug-13 09:52:17

I like Ralf - but I do prefer Raif.

It reminds me of sexy Ben Affleck in Pearl Harbour!! Yummy!!!

pongping Fri 30-Aug-13 09:49:24

Lovely - we know an Italian Valentine with the nn Vale (pronounced Va-lay).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now