Honest views on Ralf....

(75 Posts)
legallyblond Thu 29-Aug-13 16:06:24

I'm pregnant with twins who are arriving in 10 days.... if its two boys (we don't know the sexes), first boy will be Hugo, and for the second we had decided on Ralf.

To be pronounced as it is spelt (ie not Rafe)...

I am wavering. I love the name, but....

1. Will we have a constant mispronunciation issue (we thought less chance of the "Rafe" mistake with Ralf, as opposed to Ralph)? How would you pronounce "Ralf" if you saw it?

2. I love it, but is it a "dog's name"?!? Will there be constant "I had a dog named Ralph" etc... Not sure why I think this!

Argh!

sonlypuppyfat Thu 29-Aug-13 16:14:00

Sorry don't like it, it is like a dogs name. and I saw a comedy once about a man being sick and he said I've been shouting Ralph into the toilet ugh

SunnyIntervals Thu 29-Aug-13 16:16:12

No to Ralf - don't like the spelling

I would go with Ralph as it is the classic spelling and pronounce Ralf. I know a good looking Ralph and no one has ever gone on about the alleged associations.

squoosh Thu 29-Aug-13 16:31:05

It's a bit . . . . . . . . . . captain of the local darts team.

rocketupbum Thu 29-Aug-13 16:37:13

I have a ralf (spelt and pronounced as that). No one has ever mispronounced it! We do live up north so maybe that's why.
Most people say its a very cool name and we love it obviously!
I think it goes well with Hugo.

EarthMither Thu 29-Aug-13 16:46:00

Sorry OP, but being of (ahem) a certain age, to me the name Ralph will be forever associated with a male member

FriskyMare Thu 29-Aug-13 16:52:04

I quite like it, Ralf Little is quite cool.

FriskyMare Thu 29-Aug-13 16:52:37

Erk! Too many "quites"

BNmum Thu 29-Aug-13 17:06:49

I like it although I prefer the Ralph spelling. I also prefer Hugh to Hugo but that's probably because Hugo seems to be getting very popular.

Fifi2406 Thu 29-Aug-13 17:06:58

I think Ralph is a better spelling than Ralf I think people will be more likely to spell it Ralph and you and your dc will forever be correcting them but I do love the name and goes with Hugo

ChunkyPickle Thu 29-Aug-13 17:07:25

I like it (ponders it for DS2...).. the spelling is the spelling for the muppets I think, but I also think that any name you pick will have associations so that's not a good reason to discount a name you like.

squoosh Thu 29-Aug-13 17:10:16

I think the Muppet was called Rolf although funnily enough he popped into my mind too when I saw the thread title.

Primadonnagirl Thu 29-Aug-13 17:16:10

Yeah I immediately thought of calling Ralf on the big white telephone ie being sick into the loo...sorry but it's quite a common phrase here...you might not live here of course!

LauraChant Thu 29-Aug-13 17:18:12

It made me think of being sick too. Sorry sad

LauraChant Thu 29-Aug-13 17:18:51

I really like Hugo though!

Umlauf Thu 29-Aug-13 17:23:02

I like it spelt Ralph. I never knew Ralph could be pronounced Rafe until we read Lord of the Flies at school and I came home very righteously complaining my teacher couldn't pronounce Ralph properly.

I do know a dog called Ralph though...!

DS2 is Ralph, it suits him and we haven't had any negative comments to our faces anyway in fact the opposite, but what a nice name it is. There are connotations to many names that are popular, but I don't think of them. A person defines their name, not the other way IYSWIM. I like that it's old-fashioned.

ITCouldBeWorse Thu 29-Aug-13 17:23:29

Today, I think I'd avoid anything that sounds like Rolf!
How about Guy to go with Hugh?

ITCouldBeWorse Thu 29-Aug-13 17:23:54

Sorry Hugo - Also nice

ps. There will always be someone with the same name as a dog as people give their dogs human names - see George, Bertie, Toby, Charlie, Harry, Jack, Finn....all names of my friends dogs for example?

Iwantacat Thu 29-Aug-13 17:30:08

Love it, I know a little Ralf. Go for it.

PukousMucous Thu 29-Aug-13 17:37:20

Judy Blume was my first though too!

bingeddybongo Thu 29-Aug-13 18:14:26

My first thought wasn't Judy Blume, though it came a close second - my instant reaction was Ralf Wiggum! But once I get his voice out of my head, I think it's a very cute name grin

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 29-Aug-13 19:52:45

I'm sorry, I don't like it. It dos make me think of "puke". I like Hugo

What about:

Raphael
Rufus
Theo
Leo

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 29-Aug-13 19:53:45

Max
Marcus

Victor? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now