Tyler for boy

(244 Posts)
babynelly2010 Thu 29-Aug-13 15:39:24

What does everyone think of it?
I like the name but never met anyone with it.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 01-Sep-13 11:51:51

Ps Dances - I think I accidentally called you Dancing with Wolves in an above thread, haha. Many apologies grin God knows what I was thinking grin I think I saw the DancingwithWo.....and then assumed it was going to say 'wolves' grin

Writerwannabe83 Sun 01-Sep-13 11:53:09

Just noticed you had already noticed, haha grin

I'm not as ditzy as I come across, I promise.... we'll maybe a little grin

Oblomov Sun 01-Sep-13 11:54:19

Common, Chevy and horrible.

DancesWithWoolEnPointe Sun 01-Sep-13 11:58:01

See, if you said to me "My DD is called Tinkerbell" I think I'd say something like "Wow, that is an interesting choice of name" and I'd probably admire you for being unconventional. If one of my DDs came home and said "I'm going on a date with Tyler" I'd react no differently than if she said she was going on a date with Mark or Ahmid or Sebastian or whatever. (My reaction would be to be appalled regardless due to the fact that the oldest of them is 9 wink ). Maybe I am unusual in the regard, but it is honestly not a thing I have an issue with.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 01-Sep-13 12:00:13

I would imagine Tinkerbell's mom to be a bit of a hippy smile Or a woman with a Shrine to Walt Disney on her bedroom wall smile

If my daughter said she was going out with a guy called Tyler I would look forward to meeting him - I have always thought there to be a sexy element to the name and would think my daughter was probably going out with someone gorgeous!

DancesWithWoolEnPointe Sun 01-Sep-13 12:03:28

grin

There you go OP wink

looki Sun 01-Sep-13 12:03:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

everlong Sun 01-Sep-13 12:05:40

Chevy?

Ok Oblomov I'm assuming you've read the thread? And you still say that it's common, chavvy and horrible?

looki Sun 01-Sep-13 12:08:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DancesWithWoolEnPointe Sun 01-Sep-13 12:12:48

I'm sorry Looki but grin - I'm standing by to see what you are about to say, but I'm assuming you are having a tablet/mobile fail?

looki Sun 01-Sep-13 12:18:17

Apologies for two msgs posted above in error. Silly phone!

When I post I want to read other people's positive and negative comments about the name. Otherwise what's the point in asking at all? If I merely want affirmation about my chosen name, I'll simply call my baby that name and have friends tell me they like it.

When I post about a name I want the good, the bad and the ugly. Otherwise it's a futile exercise.

Ps I've just googled the meaning of.a sink estate and agree its not a very nice thing to say but it does sum up the posters opinion which is the whole point of asking.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 01-Sep-13 12:20:37

Sink estate is actually on Google?
I thought it was just a casual term used by the poster, not that it had an official definition! I'm going to have to go and look now....

Rooners Sun 01-Sep-13 12:25:52

I don't really like the name Tyler, because of the way it sounds and also the association with the fashion of calling a child what has previously commonly been used as a surname.

However I think my prejudice partly comes from the way I have seen it used mainly among people whose taste in other areas I do not share.

There will be a lot of exceptions to that; I would not seek to judge a child based on his name. I would wait until I met him. But I may half-judge the parents' taste...again, it'a a wait and see scenario. You will have people naming children the same thing for utterly different reasons.

PrincessFlirtyPants Sun 01-Sep-13 14:19:45

I don't think Tyler is a particularly offensive name. Do I like it? No. Would I choose if for my DC? No. I have no preconceived notions about any Tyler's as I have yet to meet one.

ch1134 Sun 01-Sep-13 17:40:22

I like the name Tyler

evamummy Mon 02-Sep-13 14:16:01

I'm not keen on profession type names - Tyler (tiler), Baker, Miller.

Sadie204 Mon 02-Sep-13 20:52:42

I must be in the minority on MN cos I actually like it! Doesn't sound very nice with our surname though so was ruled out with DS. I honestly cannot believe how much controversy has been caused by a simple question regarding one name!

babynelly2010 Tue 29-Oct-13 16:34:54

oh wow, quite a thread this one turned out, coming back to it few weeks later it is pretty amazing the discussion my question created.
Turned out my boy was not Tyler after all so I gave him another name that is common in america but a bit rare in UK.
So far we received nothing but complements...

Congratulations flowers

What did you name him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now