Help with franco-british names!

(43 Posts)
anaotchan Thu 29-Aug-13 11:10:49

I am French but my baby will likely grow up in the UK, so I would need a French name that also works in English.

Right now I am liking Lucie. I think it is a lovely name, but reading through past threads I got the impression that a lot of British people found the -ie ending too twee, or too nicknamey, or too pretentious. (it is the normal and only spelling for the name in French, though.)

Does my French passport give my bi-national child a pass? Or should I avoid the name altogether? ("Lucy" is not an option, because I really want a French name)

If anyone has other suggestions for two-syllable names that are classic but not too popular in either country, I am all ears! I considered Louise, but DH vetoed it. Sophie is nice but way too common in the UK for my taste. Names starting in "E" (Emma, Elise) are also out because DH thinks they do not work with our last name. *sigh...

anaotchan Mon 02-Sep-13 11:43:24

oh my, yes. It's all Léa and Lili and Lilou and Lola and other cutesy (nick)names (not many Lucies, though!)...
Léa is very pretty, actually, but my fear for these children is that their names will sound very pointedly dated in a few years/decades.

dappleton Mon 02-Sep-13 10:22:55

I'm English and live in a French speaking country, all little girls seem to be either Lily or Lea (with the accent thingy above the 'e' but I can't do that on my keyboard - sorry)

ThePeppermintHippo Sun 01-Sep-13 15:37:53

Chloé?

CultureMix Sun 01-Sep-13 05:14:55

Can I suggest Romy.

NadiaWadia Sun 01-Sep-13 01:41:29

'Lucie' is certainly not unknown in the UK, (although obviously it's usually 'Lucy)'. I think it even appears in Beatrix Potter (whose books must have been written over 100 years ago).

I think it's pretty, not twee or anything.

BikeRunSki Sat 31-Aug-13 18:21:44

Sophie
Anna
Isabel
Stephanie
Lilly

winkygirl Sat 31-Aug-13 17:43:30

I have a Madeleine who was going to be a Madeline until I found the French spelling was significantly better known in the UK. (Top baby names list)

I also love the name Lucie and do not think it would be an issue for a Lucie rather than a Lucy.

And my Madeleine is in a class with an Amelie. Very pretty name.

selsigfach Sat 31-Aug-13 13:06:54

Lucienne?

anaotchan Sat 31-Aug-13 10:32:46

Can you imagine a foreigner who'd never lived here roaming the baby name threads and just not getting it?

'Ah, but Kevin is a very nice name, no? Very old, very classic?'
'But what is wrong with Jordan? I think it is chic!' etc etc

---

Yes I can! That's me!! well not quite... but that's a feeling I often get when I suggest a name to DH. I'll think it's a perfectly normal and lovely name (in a French context), and he goes "ewww", for a wide variety of reasons. Also complicated by the fact that DH is American, and names sometimes have slightly different connotations in the US and the UK... (for instance, apparently a lot of French names tend to be given to black women only! so strange!)

it's a cultural translation nightmare smile

ChubbyKitty Fri 30-Aug-13 13:38:03

Ooh, my name is French but its such a ball ache trying to correct people so probably not the best. sad

TheSecondComing Fri 30-Aug-13 13:25:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EldritchCleavage Fri 30-Aug-13 13:18:51

I came across Claude and Florianne yesterday, both nice to my ears.

It's so hard to make suggestions for anther nationality, because you don't get any of the social or other connotations that names have.

Can you imagine a foreigner who'd never lived here roaming the baby name threads and just not getting it?

'Ah, but Kevin is a very nice name, no? Very old, very classic?'
'But what is wrong with Jordan? I think it is chic!' etc etc

jkklpu Thu 29-Aug-13 18:48:29

Aurelie
Beatrice
Margaux
Odile

anaotchan Thu 29-Aug-13 18:43:33

Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone, a lot of gorgeous names (and sound advice) in there!

thanks

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 29-Aug-13 18:12:15

I wanted to call my French cat Clawdine. DH vetoed it. grin

I like Amandine.

BikeRunSki Thu 29-Aug-13 16:07:03

My Anglo-French niece, who was born in France and has always lived there, is Stella Alice.

Xiaoxiong Thu 29-Aug-13 15:56:57

We have Anglo-French-Chinese friends with three daughters whose names I love: Anouk, Claudia and Brigitte. (Yes, named after the actresses!)

EldritchCleavage Thu 29-Aug-13 15:47:28

Syrie
Corinne
Anne

QisforQuestion Thu 29-Aug-13 15:44:23

I absolutely love 'Solenne'. Although its French English people can pronounce it easily. It's such a sweet and classy name.

aftermay Thu 29-Aug-13 15:43:23

Sylvie
Eloise
Clara

hetsto Thu 29-Aug-13 15:40:27

I had an Anglo-French friend called Leonore, which I think is gorgeous! She got 'Leo' as a shortened version, which was pretty cool too. I also really like Ariane.

LeBFG Thu 29-Aug-13 15:40:02

Having done this one to death - twice for mine - my best advice is just choose a name YOU like. The country will adapt (even with accents). If you choose a very franco name it'll just give your DD an exotic appeal.

toobusytothink Thu 29-Aug-13 15:38:13

I went to school with a Genevieve. Always thought it was a beautiful name. Otherwise Stephanie. But think lucie with ie is very pretty and not twee at all.

Layl77 Thu 29-Aug-13 15:30:47

I like Anais, Nicole, Lucie, Maelle, Madeliene

EnjoyEverySandwich Thu 29-Aug-13 13:38:07

Martine
Judith
Colette
Diane
Nicole
Renée
Denise

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now