Thoughts on names for twin girls

(31 Posts)
hetsto Tue 27-Aug-13 12:12:56

We've been thinking about names for our twin (identical) girls, expected in late November/early December, and I thought I'd garner some popular opinion. What do people think of the following? We have a short surname beginning with 'M'.

Eleanor Lily

and

Rosa Josephine

MaryKatharine Tue 27-Aug-13 12:17:40

Eleanor is a lovely name but every other baby is an Ellie these days. I like Rosa a lot. Josephine is also lovely. I know a set of sisters called Josephine and Audrey. They are 3 and 4 and really suit their names.

peanutMD Tue 27-Aug-13 12:23:27

I don't actually like any of those 4 individual names for differing reasons.

Eleanor and Rosa are too "old", Lily is wwaayy too popular and Josephine is another name for a prostitute in my grans vocabulary (no idea why). In my head the surname was M-A-Y and to be fair they go write well with the short M sound

BUT don't worry about my opinion, or anyone elses for that matter. As long as you and your OH are happy with the choice go for it!

BlueStarsAtNight Tue 27-Aug-13 12:51:35

I Love both first names, and think they go well together without being matchy.
I like Josephine, but not so keen on Lily - I think it's just too many l's with Eleanor.

How about Rosa Josephine and Eleanor Holly?

ZolaBuddleia Tue 27-Aug-13 12:54:47

Don't like Rosa with Josephine because of the repeated 'o' sound.

Love Rosa and Josephine separately, I find Eleanor rather boring (and wouldn't want yet another Ellie) and Lily is mind boggling popular round here.

How about Rosa and Josephine as the two first names?

littlemog Tue 27-Aug-13 13:29:16

Agree with zola. Not keen on Ellie and it is really, really popular.

Josephine and Rosa and both unusual and very pretty.

MadameJosephine Tue 27-Aug-13 13:39:47

Love Josephine so would prefer that as the first name with Rose rather than Rosa

Also love Eleanor but not keen on lily as the middle name

Eleanor Jane and Josephine Rose?

littlemog Tue 27-Aug-13 13:51:17

Eleanor Jane sounds really stuffy.

playftseforme Tue 27-Aug-13 13:55:33

I have id DTs, but they turned out to be boys grin. My girls names were Eleanor and Rosalind!

Ihatepeas Tue 27-Aug-13 13:58:29

Love all four names but not sure about Rosa and Josephine together, not sure it scrolls that well. Sorry. How about Rosa Lilly and Eleanor Josephine or (my favorite) Eleanor Rosa and Josephine Lilly.

noodlebum Tue 27-Aug-13 14:09:15

They are both beautiful names!

hetsto Tue 27-Aug-13 14:41:26

Thank you all! I was a bit worried about how popular Lily is as well, hence using it as a middle name, but I hadn't realised Eleanor is so popular too! I quite like the way all the 'L's and 'O's sound together - alliteration I suppose.

We were also considering 'April', so could go with this to get 'round the popularity issue:

Rosa Josephine
April Eleanor

I necessarily want them to have really unusual names, but I guess I'd rather they weren't one of 10 in their class. I think with twins it can be particularly important to foster individuality too.

jemimastar Tue 27-Aug-13 14:48:06

Eleanor is a bit meh for me, nothing interesting/exciting/quirky/graceful about it. Rosa is very pretty

TenthMuse Tue 27-Aug-13 15:58:07

I'm someone else who loves Rosa but not with Josephine - the repeating o sounds grate on me I'm afraid. Eleanor is OK but not all that exciting! Not a fan of April at all.

Littlecherublegs Tue 27-Aug-13 17:30:14

Only really like Rosa out of the names you've mentioned.
Lily is nice but popular, Eleanor is ok but will get shortened to Ellie which Im not sure 'goes' with Rosa, and I don't like Josephine or April.

I know of a Lottie who was almost a Lily and an Opal who was almost a Rosa so you might like those too?!

MortifiedAdams Tue 27-Aug-13 17:33:25

I really like them, especially Eleanor. I prefer Rose to Rosa (Rose only common round our was as a middle name, rare and beautiful as a first name).

As a pp said, Opal is lovely too.

Eleanor Opal
Rose Josephine

PearlyWhites Tue 27-Aug-13 17:39:25

Eleanor is a beautiful name

DalmationDots Tue 27-Aug-13 21:35:48

Not keen on any of those names, but taking away my personal dislikes I would say I'm unsure Eleanor and Lily really work together, or Rosa and Josephine. For some reason they don't flow quite right for me. Maybe its just me though!

KatOD Tue 27-Aug-13 21:37:06

Dempsey and makepeace...

No, seriously I think the names you have chosen are beautiful. Congratulations!

DessieLou Tue 27-Aug-13 22:00:06

April is nice but much prefer your original choices. Very pretty!

bunnymother Tue 27-Aug-13 22:08:45

I have ID twin girls, both with very different names (to each other), neither of which are popular names. Eleanor (or a variation of) was on my short list, due to my admiration of the mighty Eleanor of Aquitaine. Rosa is a pretty name, although I find it hard to like as much as Eleanor because I can't think of a strong female called Rosa.

Rather than Rosa, what about Diana? As in, the moon goddess, the huntress and both Diane de Poitiers and Diana Cooper were fascinating women.

MintyDiamonds Tue 27-Aug-13 22:27:22

My name is Rosa Eleanor, so I'm biased but I think they're lovely names!

sleepingbeautiful Tue 27-Aug-13 22:27:55

I like Eleanor if you can get people to use Nell as a nn rather than Ellie (blah).

I agree with other comments that Rosa Josephine doesn't sound right - Rosa Josa too similar. Also both Primrose and Josephine create the 'Posy' nn.

Saying Eleanor and Rosa makes me think Eleanor Roosevelt, but at least she was a good namesake.

Other names you might like:
Victoria
Louisa
Lavender
Lilian
Mary
Margot
Grace
Gwendolyn

MintyDiamonds Tue 27-Aug-13 22:29:03

As for a strong female, I was named after a pretty cool Mexican witch from a book I can't remember the name of right now!

MortifiedAdams Tue 27-Aug-13 22:34:07

Bunny Rosa Parks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now