Jetta for a girl?

(61 Posts)
jbakedbean Tue 27-Aug-13 00:44:19

Just found out from logging on to mums net tat the name we did have picked out as a front runner has had the curse of Katie price calling her son a similar name so now I think we need to change tack.

Just in case though what do my fellow mums betters think of jetta for a girl?

bellabelly Tue 27-Aug-13 00:45:43

Noooooooo! Don't do it!

nooka Tue 27-Aug-13 00:47:34

Um are you really serious about this? Where I live it is the name of a very popular VW car (think golf with a boot). I really can't imagine it on a child.

Hardly anyone will make the association especially as its not even the same name.

dontlaugh Tue 27-Aug-13 00:48:27

Why would you do that to your child? It's a car.

Rummikub Tue 27-Aug-13 00:49:51

Isnt jetta a character from Clifford the big red dog from cbeebies?

StephenFrySaidSo Tue 27-Aug-13 00:50:28

as in Volkswagen jetta? umm no. its like calling her mondeo or scenic

jbakedbean Tue 27-Aug-13 01:03:57

Jetta means black stone and I want a name that makes people think of a strong beautiful, independent woman. Thus no fluffy (yet very nice) poppy, daisy types. Also don't want it to be a popular name, but at the same time not off the wall, I know it's a pretty ugly car as well though but thus not very well known.

LoopThePoop Tue 27-Aug-13 01:08:16

Volkswagen.

LoopThePoop Tue 27-Aug-13 01:08:55

It is a very well known car name.

NatashaBee Tue 27-Aug-13 01:09:16

Jetta's a car. If you like car names then how about Mondeo, Subaru or Yaris?

LoopThePoop Tue 27-Aug-13 01:10:14

Almost everyone who mentioned it so far named the car, it's a car.
A rotten ugly car

jbakedbean Tue 27-Aug-13 01:16:11

Lol, I think I might have to get dp to read this, his heart is set on it yet I'm open, see the max and seb baby sister question. Bizarrely my man is a car enthusiast but thinks the jetta link won't get made.

NapaCab Tue 27-Aug-13 01:19:18

No, I'd go with Mondeo or Passat.

escorpion Tue 27-Aug-13 01:20:14

What about Ebony?

Rummikub Tue 27-Aug-13 01:20:44

Buy everyone the Clifford big red dog DVD. I don't think car, I think the little girl character in the DVD. Probably will get shortened to jet?

trolleycoin Tue 27-Aug-13 01:21:32

Well known car. Might as well go with Passat. No names inspiring images of strong independent beautiful woman springs to mind at the moment though.

Frikadellen Tue 27-Aug-13 01:29:04

Fairly common Scandinavian name I dont hate it (my mother is Jette) but I liken it to names like Jane and Anne plain and pretty boring.

jbakedbean Tue 27-Aug-13 01:50:57

Yes, I think it's origin is Scandinavian or Danish. Interesting point of what it resembles over here.

nooka Tue 27-Aug-13 02:05:01

If you want people to associate your potential dd's name with 'strong beautiful, independent woman' then I really don't think that Jetta is going to work. Clearly most people associate it with a fairly boring (but fuel efficient) car.

To be honest I think that you will struggle to find any name that has the same association for everyone, but I think I would start by thinking about women (real or fictional) you think have the values you are looking to emulate and consider their names.

If your other children are called Sebastian (Seb) and Maximilian (Max) then Jetta really really doesn't seem to me to 'go' at all.

StayAwayFromTheEdge Tue 27-Aug-13 02:38:33

It's awful and in no way matches the lovely names your other two children have.

Why the insistence on the JP initials?

gotadifferentnamenow Tue 27-Aug-13 02:55:48

It's a car, sorry.

What about Isis?

MrsMongoose Tue 27-Aug-13 03:00:17

If you are after an 'out there" stone name, maybe Onyx? Saw a lady called this on TV, and I haven't ever forgotten her!

RoadToTuapeka Tue 27-Aug-13 04:08:44

Maybe it does mean something nice but it sounds silly and made up imo. Maybe change your own name if you like an out there name so much rather than inflict a child with it!

glastocat Tue 27-Aug-13 04:14:20

Ugly car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now