Oh help, I think we're being the fussiest people in the world about girls' names

(75 Posts)
WhatDyouCallEr Mon 26-Aug-13 20:12:04

We're expecting a DD in October and seem to have so many requirements that there are no names left that we can agree on.

I'm English (with some Irish ancestry), DH is German, and we live in Germany. DD will have my (English) surname and I don't want to burden her with two difficult names, so we're looking for a first name that will at least be easily recognisable to German speakers, even if it isn't German.

And then there's the issue of the surname itself (starts with an H and rhymes with Keith) which, especially when it's pronounced with a German accent, makes several sounds (ie, th, s, t, f) problematic in a first name.

We already have a DS called Johannes so none of the -anna names are really an option.

So far Klara and Esther seem to be top of our joint list, but neither of us can quite settle on either... We've also considered Katharina, Natalia, Aila and Rebecca. And I like Maren (MAHren), Ellen/Elena/Nella, Laura and Alma too, but he's not so keen.

Does some inspired person out there have the answer?! (I realise this OP totally outs me, so RL people could you please just pretend you haven't seen it? Thank you!)

Coconutty Costa Rica Mon 26-Aug-13 20:13:47

Elea? I think that's a pretty name.

Elise?

KateCroydon Mon 26-Aug-13 20:16:56

Isolde? Katarina?

Greta
Adela - love this
Eleanor
Emma

Elisabeth or variant of.

kimblesj Mon 26-Aug-13 20:28:48

We loved Effy and Etta for a girl

josiejay Mon 26-Aug-13 20:34:00

Anna?

josiejay Mon 26-Aug-13 20:34:57

Oh sorry just saw the Johannes bit.

Hmmm.

Phineyj Mon 26-Aug-13 20:38:25

A friend in a similar situation has gone for Zoe.

bridgetsmum Mon 26-Aug-13 20:38:56

Ellen

bringonyourwreckingball Mon 26-Aug-13 20:41:05

Matilda? My English/German couple friends have a Matilda, Tilly or Tilda for short

MichaelBubleBath Mon 26-Aug-13 20:43:17

Julia
Kerstin/Kirsten
Nastassja
Nadine
Olivia
Simone

Sleepyfergus Mon 26-Aug-13 20:45:05

Claudia? It's my dd2s name so hopelessly bias!

MadameJosephine Mon 26-Aug-13 20:45:08

I've always adored the name Liesl

Continuing the sound of music theme how about Louisa, Marta, Brigitta or Gretl? (is it sad that I remember them all - love that film!)

MiconiumHappens Mon 26-Aug-13 20:48:56

Helen or Hellena
Alice

WhatDyouCallEr Mon 26-Aug-13 20:53:13

Oh, thanks so much for all your replies so far. They're totally along the right lines!

Coconutty, how is Elea pronounced?
Elise is lovely but could almost rhyme with a very bad German pronunciation of my surname! Maybe some other variant of Elisabeth though, yes.
Am going to read up on Isolde...
I love Greta (and DM is Margaret) but DH doesn't (he doesn't get the granny names thing at all and has vetoed Emma and Matilda for that reason, frustratingly), and it would also give us Hansel and Gretel grin
Effy with my surname and a Cockney accent (not that I have one) is making me laugh, kimblesj, but I like Etta.
Anna I absolutely love (and DMIL's name) but we scuppered that for ourselves really.
Zoe was also on the list at one point. Maybe we should reconsider. Not sure I can manage the German pronunciation though...

Heidi...?

MalkieFraser Mon 26-Aug-13 20:53:32

Norasmile

I think you should DEFINITELY have a Hansel and Gretl! grin

WhatDyouCallEr Mon 26-Aug-13 20:55:01

Sorry, cross-posted with a few people there and have to get to bed, but thanks a lot. Back tomorrow!

TiredFeet Mon 26-Aug-13 20:57:38

Elsa
Sarah
Maria

Phineyj Mon 26-Aug-13 21:00:51

Gosh what is the German pronunciation of Zoe? I was under the impressiom friend had chosen it as we say it the same way -- shows what I know grin

Phineyj Mon 26-Aug-13 21:01:07

Impression!

Erin? Irish links and really easy to spell/pronounce.

Clara
Carla
Carolina

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now