Audrey

(32 Posts)
ToddCranes Fri 23-Aug-13 16:29:53

My favourite name for a girl.

Doesn't really go with my son's name and both begin with 'A'. Think Frigg.

Mumblyboo Fri 06-Sep-13 12:23:18

It has made my list too so I def like it. I have a dd2 with another A name but it wouldn't put me off.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 06-Sep-13 11:03:48

Audrey is lovely. I think your liking for it will override any niggling doubts over two first names starting with A.

ElleCloughie Fri 06-Sep-13 10:11:31

My cousin and his wife chose this for their first child about five years ago. A few of us were a little unsure about it at first, mostly due to associations with Audreys in their 80s, but it suits her perfectly and I can't imagine a better name for her.

scaevola Wed 04-Sep-13 17:09:55

Coronation Street - major current character, long-running (since 1970s) in one of the most watched telly programmes there is.

Or is it a Corrie name you want, just without the 'A'? If so, then Gail, Deirdre, Blanche, Rita, Betty, Elsie, Ena, Sally, Emily, Hayley, Racquelle, Ivy, Janine?

doingthesplitz Wed 04-Sep-13 17:01:03

I don't really like it to be honest, but at the same time it's nice to see some of those 1950s, school story type names coming back into fashion. I heard a father at a party recently addressing his small daughter as 'Dorothy' and a couple up the road have named their twins Hilary and Margot.

gallicgirl Mon 26-Aug-13 09:35:54

I love it and wanted it for my DD but partner vetoed it.

I vetoed ALL his Woody Allen suggestions in retaliation.

RoadToTuapeka Mon 26-Aug-13 09:02:43

Audrey is lovely!

Purplelooby Sun 25-Aug-13 20:31:39

Ok no it's not the same name :D

Purplelooby Sun 25-Aug-13 20:29:51

I think these "mid-century" names are due to come back. We've done Victorian, now it's their turn.

I've been thinking this too...

I don't think the double A matters - I also have a DS who begins with A and has 4 letters (getting paranoid now...) and all of the names I like for DC2 begin with A. Not on purpose, I just like those names!

BabyBrainMom Sun 25-Aug-13 09:16:46

Love Audrey and do not feel it is important that your son's name is beginning with A, pretty name

Rhubarbgarden Sun 25-Aug-13 07:51:54

I have a 3yo Audrey. I don't watch coronation street so my associations are Hepburn and Tautou. It usually gets good reactions although sometimes people say "is that a family name" and then look a bit nonplussed when we say "no we just liked it". It's often described on here as a marmite name.

NadiaWadia Sat 24-Aug-13 19:52:50

Don't see why the double A matters. A lot of people would think that cute. If it was say, 2 girls with the same initials than it might cause problems in the future with, for example, letters arriving for 'Miss A Smith' and you wouldn't know which it was for. But with a boy and girl its fine.

Yes, they are different types of names, but why does everything have to be matchy-matchy? Go for it, you know you want to!

PearlyWhites Sat 24-Aug-13 19:21:22

I love Audrey

ToddCranes Sat 24-Aug-13 19:17:32

Double A and different types of names? Do you think that doesn't matter then?

NadiaWadia Sat 24-Aug-13 18:43:41

soontobeslendergirl - thanks I see now! Four letters right?

But I don't see why Audrey wouldn't go with that?

Jacksterbear Sat 24-Aug-13 16:30:24

Ooh I love Audrey.

It makes me think of the Dawson's Creek character!

nadia you need to look at the posts from Frigg and check the name of her son - she frequents the baby name board as she is looking for a name for her No3 smile

NadiaWadia Sat 24-Aug-13 16:19:06

What is the son's name I wonder? Is it something to do with Norse gods? Another clue please?

I like it, but maybe Audra would go better with your son's name?

ToddCranes Fri 23-Aug-13 19:25:02

Oh and Jamie Margaret is my second favourite but it was my mum's name but she hated it!

ToddCranes Fri 23-Aug-13 19:23:36

Thanks guys. I know it has the Coronation Street link but i just like the sound of it.

As lots of old school names are coming back i just think of the sound. I quite like Peter because it sounds 'nice' but i know most people would find it old fashioned.

And Jamie i wish it was grin

That was just a clue to my ds's name.

yourcruisedirector Fri 23-Aug-13 18:59:20

I like it, and know a lovely 12 year old (American) Audrey.

Yonihadtoask Fri 23-Aug-13 18:56:00

Funny that I came across this thread.

I live next door to a nursery - and hear the staff shouting the children in for lunch/putting their hats on etc.

I heard Audrey just yesterday - and was surprised to hear it. As I think of Audrey Roberts I guess.

But the more I think about it, the nicer it could be.

brightnearly Fri 23-Aug-13 18:49:27

Cannot help but think of a man-eating plant though...rather than of Audrey Hepburn for example...

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 23-Aug-13 18:43:07

OP

is your surname Wank? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now