Brace myself...

(26 Posts)
lchats Tue 20-Aug-13 21:05:14

My 1st dd is briar (usually gets a mixed reception) but I love it.... Trouble is finding a name to match for my dd2!

So my list is favouring Margot or Effie....

Braced and ready to hear comments/thoughts on these or alternative ideas....

I think Effie goes better with Briar. Is it promounced Bree-ah or Bri-ah?

Ham69 Tue 20-Aug-13 21:39:32

I like Effie best and think it goes really well with your dd1. I know a little girl called Elvie which I think really suits her probably not very helpful

Rhubarbgarden Tue 20-Aug-13 21:41:29

Love Margot

lchats Tue 20-Aug-13 21:49:16

Bri-ah

StrangeGlue Tue 20-Aug-13 21:52:43

I like them both but think effie matches better. Is it short for something?

MrsP23 Tue 20-Aug-13 21:53:59

I like Effie lots. Unusual but pretty too x

meditrina Tue 20-Aug-13 21:54:40

I prefer Margot.

And think it's the easier one to live with - yelling "Effie" across a playground gets just too close to (euphemised) swearing.

lchats Tue 20-Aug-13 21:55:37

Thank u. Can be short for Euphemia, but we were considering Elizabeth, but mainly calling her Effie smile

lchats Tue 20-Aug-13 21:58:30

Thx meditrina you have similar view to my MIL ... I can see why people make the swearing connection - but I don't hear it in my mind... Think it's why I'm so unsure!

Briar is beautiful!

To me it sounds rather autumnal so I'd be tempted by something like Aubrey or Avery or Hazel.

Congrats smile

Or Holly?

Linguaphile Wed 21-Aug-13 11:46:58

I love Briar, and I think Effie goes really well. smile

squoosh Wed 21-Aug-13 11:53:57

My Mum always told me I was 'like a briar' when I was being grumpy.

I like both Margot and Effie but would probably go for Effie as Briar's sister.

squoosh Wed 21-Aug-13 11:54:20

Actually, she still tells me that!

Fifi2406 Wed 21-Aug-13 15:17:45

I absolutely love Briar reminds me of Briar Rose from sleeping beauty I think Effie sounds nicest with Briar smile

Prefer margot. Effie seems a bit wishy washy. Briar is lovely and agree that something like Hazel would go really well with it.

ch1134 Wed 21-Aug-13 18:17:24

or Heather?

NoComet Wed 21-Aug-13 18:29:54

Briar is beautiful. Yes Effie or something else nature, pagan ish. I love Hazel. Willow, Heather, Amber, Skye. Thia, Juno, Iris, Isla. There are lots of lovely slightly dreamy mythical names that would work well with Briar.

I'm jealous, DD1 had such a safe ordinary name (chosen as a teen in memory of a very special lady), that we couldn't choose anything interesting for DD2.

lchats Thu 22-Aug-13 08:31:11

Thank you for the nice comments re Briar... It's def been a grower for a lot of people. Although I love nature/paganish names I wanted to go with a different directions for dd2.... ideally something old English or literary, but with an unusual twist - so I like Beatrice, Blythe, Harper - but again avoiding Bs and think the latter carries the beckham comparison : /

Suggestions welcomed!

Maybe Miranda instead of Margot? Star's dreamy / mythical phrase made me think of The Tempest.

Or Hermione could work! Now that everyone knows how to pronounce it grin

Biscuitsneeded Thu 22-Aug-13 15:58:15

I know a very nice Briar and her sister is Autumn...

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 22-Aug-13 18:20:44

Briar is lovely

I prefer Margot because Effie just doesn't seem "complete". Also, girls names beginning with E seem to be very popular

Would you also consider

Margaret - nn Maggie/ Peggy, or even Margot ?

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 22-Aug-13 18:21:52

Sylvia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now