Blake, Corin, Damon, something else?

(15 Posts)

Hi all

We are expecting a boy around Xmas/New Year.

Already have a little girl. We chose her name because it's simple, short (as she has a long middle name, then her dad's surname, then my surname - he will have the same), not obviously linked with a particular class or ethnicity. We are trying to find a similar boy's name.

Restrictions are: nothing beginning with L, J or M. Nothing Germanic or Norse sounding. Nothing Biblical, as his second name will be Joseph after both of my grandfathers, and we'd like something different. I am from a Jewish background, my partner is Welsh, so Hebrew/Welsh are OK but we can't find anything we like!

So far we have come up with
- Blake
- Corin
- Damon

We also like Jared, but J names are out.

Family have given us mixed responses so would be very interested to hear any of your thoughts!

Anyone? smile

Does Corin sound too much like a girl's name? My dad thinks it's 'too precious'. My mum on the other hand thinks Blake sounds like 'a cheesy actor'.

Input would be gratefully received!

emmaliz Mon 19-Aug-13 15:19:26

I really like Damon. You cant go wrong with it. The others are ok but not as nice imo smile smile

emmaliz Mon 19-Aug-13 15:20:53

Also think that Rhys is a nice name (Welsh)

JacqueslePeacock Mon 19-Aug-13 15:26:40

I think I agree with your parents, sorry. Corin sounds like Corinne. Blake does sound like an actor, to me.

Lots of (Non-Conformist) Welsh and Jewish names are biblical, so that is a bit tricky as you said you want to avoid two biblical names together.

What about Henry? Is that too Germanic? Alec? Finn? Charles? None of these are very "different", sorry. Seth? Wyatt? Guy? I'm struggling with short, non-biblical boys' names...

Thanks both smile

emma are you another Blur fan, by any chance!?

Jacques Yeah, it's a shame as I think Corin is lovely and I like the meaning (from the Latin for 'spear') but I can see that it is a bit girly.

I know the non-Biblical thing makes things difficult. I'm not absolutely opposed, i just don't want all completely traditional names! My DP and parents love Isaac but I'm not so sure.

Finn is lovely, and Seth maybe?

FranKatzenjammer Mon 19-Aug-13 16:52:47

I also love the name Damon. It reminds me of Damon Grant in Brookside as well as Mr Albarn. Also Badly Drawn Boy's real name is Damon. I have rarely met one in real life though.

Vijac Mon 19-Aug-13 17:33:11

I love Isaac. Damon is ok, I slightly prefer Damian though. Not keen on Blake or corin. What about Aiden, Finley, Asher, Alex, Owen, Richard, jack, luke or Dave.

I really love Asher and have suggested it but it's been vetoed by my partner!

Also like Alex. Finley won't work with the surname unfortunately.

RalphtheTimid Mon 19-Aug-13 17:58:43

Rexford

JacqueslePeacock Mon 19-Aug-13 18:13:48

What about Aaron? Less popular than Isaac and beginning with A which it sounds like you prefer. Adon? I think that's Hebrew.

Littlecherublegs Mon 19-Aug-13 19:55:20

Ashton
Dominic
Nathan
Hayden
Oscar
Tate
Ciaran
Elliot
Yannick

KateCroydon Mon 19-Aug-13 20:05:32

Linus
Samuel
David (no babies called that nowadays)

KateCroydon Mon 19-Aug-13 20:06:38

Sorry, just saw no L names
Ivor
Hal
Ewan

Littlecherublegs Mon 19-Aug-13 20:34:59

Sorry was meant to say I also agree with your mum & dad.
Damon is ok though.

Others that have sprung to mind:
Silas
Amos
Tobias
Shane
Daryl
Shaun
Drew
Greg
Harris
Xander
Brett
Brent
Noel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now