Auden, Corin or Merryn? (for a girl)

(30 Posts)
Laquila Mon 19-Aug-13 10:57:03

Ok, I think my husband and I have it down to the above three for a girl, after much chaffing and changing-of-minds.

Just to clarify re gender suitability etc:

Auden is allegedly technically a boys' name but this doesn't bother us as it just seems waaaay more feminine than masculine.

Corin is unisex - according to the ONS, there were 9 boy Corins in 2012 and 8 girls. We aren't keen on Corinne or Corrine, due to pronunciation confusion.

Merryn - to me this sounds feminine, especially with the nn Merry (discounting the hobbit...)

Which is your preferred option? Ay other suggestions along similar lines? Middle name is likely to be Grace.

Laquila Mon 19-Aug-13 16:22:50

Nooka I see your point but with Corin, it's that pronunciation that we want (rhymes with foreign), and having done some straw-poll threads on here, if you spell it Corrine or Corinne, you tend to get people assuming it's pronounced either Co-REEN or Co-RINN.

Now I know that it (or variants) can also be spelt Corenne, Coryn or Corynne, that just sort of throws me into further confusion! At least with Corin there's only possible pronunciation?! <sits back and waits for someone to come along and proclaim that they'd pronounce Corin as Dave, or similar...>

Audrey is nice but we have one in the family and I don't really want to repeat it. I love Aurora and Aurelia but they just don't work with our surname.

Aggggh I reckon I'll put Delphine back on the list - hardly anyone ever says they dislike that!

aturtlenamedmack Mon 19-Aug-13 16:27:43

I like merryn.
I wanted a similar name for my ds but I think it's quite feminine.
He was an Xmas baby too, so I liked merry.
It's lovely for a little girl.

nooka Mon 19-Aug-13 16:41:42

Ah, well that's because that is how you pronounce Corinne! If you really want your child to be called Corin (cor-in) then I guess you need to call them that, but then people will generally assume she is a boy, which might not bother you, but might bother her (or not). How about Coral, if it's the sound you like?

SoupDragon Mon 19-Aug-13 17:56:14

Aggggh I reckon I'll put Delphine back on the list - hardly anyone ever says they dislike that!

I think it's dreadful grin

Laquila Mon 19-Aug-13 18:29:32

How helpful, SoupDragon, thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now