Tate or Tully?

(60 Posts)
TheBleedinObvious Mon 19-Aug-13 03:52:51

Opinions? For a girl. They go very nicely with our surname which is feminine so sets off the masculinity.

Also any names similar. I also like Kate but it is too popular (and dated imo).

rosyryan Thu 22-Aug-13 20:37:40

Without wishing to offend, I think if you were in America these choices would be fine. In England people are going to shudder. Possibly to your face.

What are your DHs choices?

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 22-Aug-13 19:12:39

Jodie
Cassie

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 22-Aug-13 19:11:21

I also don't like either, but do you like these (seem to me to be similar to your taste):

Robyn
Stevie
Hope
Farrah

ovenbun Thu 22-Aug-13 14:45:29

Tatum is not great sorry....Channing springs to mind...it does seem like you are drawn to surnames..out of the 3 I think tate is the nicest.

I think going to a party and introducing yourself as the names might help you gage reactions? Also imagining the names on different ages?

Tully rhymes with bully which is what puts me off.

Frikadellen Wed 21-Aug-13 00:23:28

I love Tate but it is a boys name for me.. So I would go with Tully.. It isnt one I would chose but not would I think YUCK if i heard it.

thewhitequeen Tue 20-Aug-13 22:36:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LondonMother Tue 20-Aug-13 08:45:20

You say you think Kate is 'dated' because you know quite a few aged 15-40. That isn't what dated means, is it? Kate is a classic name that's been used for hundreds and hundreds of years. It will never date. There will be women called Kate in every single generation. The names that are likely to date are the ones that become massively popular for a few years and then suddenly become massively unpopular so that by the time they're grown up you know more or less exactly how old a person is because of their name, e.g. Sharon, Wayne.

I'm with BalloonSlayer on this one.

For a girl?!?
Tatum is also dreadful.

carben Tue 20-Aug-13 07:32:48

Tully 'Rose' sounds lovely to me.

ProphetOfDoom Tue 20-Aug-13 07:16:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JourneyThroughLife Tue 20-Aug-13 07:00:26

Well, I like Tully, it's a really nice name, I'd consider using it myself. Wouldn't be keen on Tate though, but only because it sounds too much like an art gallery to me....

jaykay987 Tue 20-Aug-13 06:58:32

I love Tate for a girl. It's on my secret short list (waiting until we're pregnant before I let DH veto all the names I love!)

nooka Tue 20-Aug-13 06:46:45

Both Tullis and Tully sound like surnames, and are certainly not immediately identifiable as names for girls/women. If your flowery surname does sound like a girls name then your daughter may well have surname/forename mix ups all her life. Which could be a nuisance.

Tate is a nice name for a boy. Tatum seems ugly to me for either a boy or girl (as do Tully/Tullis to be honest).

Natalya will lend itself to Tally, Nat, Nattie, Talya but I don't think Tully. I guess you could try Petulia!

TheBleedinObvious Tue 20-Aug-13 02:22:46

Also our surname is along the 'flowery' line

TheBleedinObvious Tue 20-Aug-13 02:20:58

I am considering Tullis or possibly Natalya (which I am not too keen on but dh probably would like it) for Tully. Thoughts

Rhubarbgarden Mon 19-Aug-13 21:50:24

Arf at Balloonslayer - my thoughts exactly!

exoticfruits Mon 19-Aug-13 21:46:04

Neither.

miffybun73 Mon 19-Aug-13 21:33:22

Neither.

BlueStarsAtNight Mon 19-Aug-13 21:31:20

I like Tatum or Tatiana shortened to Tate, but not Tate as a whole name (unless it's a boy). Tully is definitely a nn not a real name, though can't think of anything I like that it could be short for.

Coconutty Mon 19-Aug-13 15:51:00

Tully looks like bully to me. Frilly surname is perhaps a girly colour?

carben Mon 19-Aug-13 15:24:07

I can't think of a frilly, girly surname. I'm intrigued. Not sure why people are anti Tully - I like it. Short for Na- talie pronounced Na-tully.

TallulahBetty Mon 19-Aug-13 12:09:23

Tully is a purple snail on Baby TV.

Tallulah? wink

JuliaScurr Mon 19-Aug-13 12:08:37
TheBleedinObvious Mon 19-Aug-13 12:06:34

grin balloonslayer

I honestly thought a few people would like them. I can picture them on a little baby, toddler, child, adult through to elderly and they work so well for all age groups confused. And they go so well with our surname too, more feminine names sound too much.

And I posted this to convince my dh, as I'm not a big fan of his choices.

I guess I have to hope we have a boy then (and fortunatley we have already decided on a few boys names to choose from).

UriGeller Mon 19-Aug-13 11:58:53

You could have Tatum and call her Tate for short. Although I think Tatum is rather weird (not in a good way), at least it has provenance as a girls name.

Tully makes me think of Slinky Malinky who stole a pencil or something from "Oliver Tulliver's den".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now