Persephone?

(51 Posts)
Dimitiesofblue Sat 17-Aug-13 17:34:49

Would love honest opinions on this name, please. Not sure how popular it is really, so if anybody knows of a Persephone that would be interesting to hear.
Apparently you can also spell it Persephonie to help others with pronunciation, but I think personally if you're going to have to spell it out anyway you may as well use the proper spelling.

And is Posy a far fetched nickname?

Leeds2 Sun 25-Aug-13 12:16:48

I know one (mid 20s now). Always been known as Seffi.

Solo Sun 25-Aug-13 10:42:47

Lovely! I like it a lot. If you love it OP, then choose it for your Dd. People quickly adjust and it's a good unusual name, not a common 'Chardonnay' type 'unusual' hmm name imo so pay no attention to anyone that pooh pooh's it smile

peggyblackett Sun 25-Aug-13 10:23:20

I like it.

What about Peronelle (old English name that sounds rather French!)? Similar, but more unusual.

BabyBrainMom Sun 25-Aug-13 10:16:15

Donot like it, sorry, how about Hermione?

singmelullabies Sun 25-Aug-13 09:35:31

Makes me think of Sephy in Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman (the new Children's Laureate).

Noughts and Crosses

dementedma Sun 25-Aug-13 09:28:12

Think its awful.'sorry, but you did ask

SaucyJack Fri 23-Aug-13 22:25:49

Bit uncalled for CoolStoryBro

That is mine and other people's kids you're talking about.

Bumblebee78 Fri 23-Aug-13 20:03:33

Im not keen on having a name just to shorten it. Persephone wouldnt be a name that i would choose, i think it sounds snooty.

Each to their own, i suppose from reading the comments on here it is a marmite name. People will either love it or hate it, with not many in the, its ok, middle ground.

It is your choice, id just say wait til baby pops out and see if the name suits her.

thehomesecretary Fri 23-Aug-13 19:58:21

I have a brand new Persephone and love her name every time I say it! She is Sephy at the moment but I also love Percy as a nickname.

Haribojoe Fri 23-Aug-13 19:53:28

Love the name. Really wanted it for DD (traditional spelling with Percy as nickname) but DH vetoed it hmm

Back2Two Fri 23-Aug-13 19:50:59

I think it's a bit of a mumsnet name too, as in only on mumsnet would people say "what? Persephone is a perfectly standard and classless name" accompanied by a hmm face.

It's very middle class and seems a bit try hard too. Each to their own however on those counts. Other than that I think it's clunky.

p.s and how of her life would be spent spelling it out?

mewkins Fri 23-Aug-13 19:41:15

I personally think it's too much. It just seems like it's too big a name for anyone to live up to.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 21-Aug-13 23:30:51

CoolStory

You haven't seen Ptolomy suggested then clearly. Now that is a wanky name.

CoolStoryBro Wed 21-Aug-13 23:26:59

*randoms NOT ransoms!

CoolStoryBro Wed 21-Aug-13 23:26:28

I think it's, out of all the MN stupid nanes, the wankiest of the lot. That said, if you like it, why do you care what a bunch of ransoms on the Internet think?!

LucyHoneychurchsView Wed 21-Aug-13 23:18:57

Lovely name, although I am biased. Mind you, DD has three middle names and the words 'horsey' and 'pretentious' have been mentioned in reference to our choices...

jammydodger Tue 20-Aug-13 19:26:07

I know a baby a few weeks old, and her name is Perse. Not even Persephone, just Perse, (pronounced Percy, obviously)..It could work. Personally I don't like it and can foresee a lifetime of her having to explain her name on the phone etc, Yes, I really am called Percy....I wouldn't do it but other friends who know the baby say it's growing on them...

flatmum Tue 20-Aug-13 19:25:54

I love this name, no more syllables than Isabella of which there are millions. Mispronunciation would be an issue at first but people would soon get to know (my sister thought Persephone was Percy-phone and hermione was hermy-onee silly moo) - as you say everyone got used to saying hermione with the HP films.

I know an 8 y old Persephone. when she was little she was called Sephie but now prefers Persephone which really suits her.

LauraChant Tue 20-Aug-13 19:25:22

There was a Persephone thread just last week. It did not go well.

Personally I like it.

Lintilla Tue 20-Aug-13 19:23:19

I love it. It my all time favourite name but DH said no. I hope this doesn't put you off but I've just named my new puppy Persephone as he wouldn't let me use it for a baby!

minitoot Tue 20-Aug-13 19:19:51

I absolutely love it and am jealous smile (I have a boy) Posy would be a great shortening.

YoniSingWhenYoureWinning Tue 20-Aug-13 19:16:48

Mumsnet is such a funny place at times.

There is no other place in the world you could ask people how they feel about the name Persephone and get a response other than shock

grin

YoniSingWhenYoureWinning Tue 20-Aug-13 19:15:06

I think it's...uh...somewhat pretentious. Somewhat.

SaucyJack Mon 19-Aug-13 22:43:45

My Persephone is a Sephie or Sephers

And we live in a cahncil flat....... (tho we are in the burbs of Brighton)

TheBleedinObvious Mon 19-Aug-13 12:56:42

I quite like posy though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now