What are all the long name possibilities for a Finn?

(24 Posts)
Mumblyboo Sat 17-Aug-13 11:31:30

I think I like Finn but worried about its popularity? Is it v popular? I don't know any.... It clearly needs a long name but not sold on Finley - inspire me please....

Jojay Sat 17-Aug-13 11:32:18

Fintan?

Littlecherublegs Sat 17-Aug-13 11:34:40

Finbar
Finnian

I think Finlay is lovely!

I only know of one who is about 3 months old.

MothershipG Sat 17-Aug-13 11:41:13

I have a Griffin, I thought he'd be Fin for short (but he never was because I love his name so much I never really felt the need to shorten it.) I love his name because it's unusual but not "out there", easy to spell and alliterates with our surname which works well.

OnTheBottomWithAWomensWeekly Sat 17-Aug-13 11:56:35

Finian ( 1 n)

Somethingyesterday Sat 17-Aug-13 12:01:41

Phineas
Theophilus (at a stretch..)
Felix (ditto)

Not exactly the lines you were thinking but my first thought was huckleberry

ArrowToTheKnee Sat 17-Aug-13 12:04:37

Finnamon

Finnking

Finnalot

(I can go on if you want...)

josiejay Sat 17-Aug-13 12:05:57

I think Finn on its own is OK.

thegreylady Sat 17-Aug-13 13:15:04

Lots of Finlays and Finleys but very few Finns!
My dgs is Finn and if you are looking for 'personalised' stuff there is always a Finlay and never a Finn.If you look it up it is a name in its own right.dd and dsil chose it because they loved the Irish stories about Finn McCool[sp?] and because it can't be shortened.They considered Finbar but settled on Finn as that is the name they love.In his class there are two Finlays but there isn't another Finn in the whole school!
can you guess-I love the name smile

NorbertDentressangle Sat 17-Aug-13 13:19:51

Finbar .....but that makes me think of Finbar Saunders and his Double Entendres (Viz character IIRC)

FrauGrau Sun 18-Aug-13 09:16:37

Finn on its own is a well accepted name in Ireland (sometimes with the spelling Fionn) and also in Scandinavia . If you want a long version, I like Thorfinn.

MyNameIsSuz Mon 19-Aug-13 15:47:07

I have a Franklin, and one of the baby naming sites suggested Finn and Flynn among the shortenings for it.

allbie Mon 19-Aug-13 15:52:13

Finn is great as it is but I much prefer Finbar to all the alternatives. Crikey, Norbert, you must be getting on...still harking on about Finbar Saunders!!

Finnegan
Griffin?

NorbertDentressangle Mon 19-Aug-13 18:08:50

allbie - yep, i sure am old grin.

I just remember it from my student days. It stuck in my mind as, at the time, I was doing a teaching practice and there was a Finn in my class. It took all my concentration to avoid calling him Finbar.

Blanketsandpillows Mon 19-Aug-13 18:16:58

I love the name Finn just on its own.

JacqueslePeacock Mon 19-Aug-13 18:19:23

I think Finton is good. My great great uncle was Finton, so it has a reasonably long history too (not a made up name, IYSWIM!)

Arudonto Mon 19-Aug-13 20:02:25

Finn
Finbar
Fintan
Finnan
Finian
Finnegan
Finley
Finlay
Griffin
Phineas

Fionn is a seperate name again..pronounce fee-un over here in Ireland anyway

allbie Tue 20-Aug-13 20:02:30

Glad you weren't offended Norbert! I thought about my comment afterwards and hoped it wasn't taken as an ageist taunt! No offence meant!!

TallulahBetty Tue 20-Aug-13 20:12:23

I know a little Finnan.

NorbertDentressangle Wed 21-Aug-13 15:34:22

allbie -none taken, don't worry. smile

I know what you mean about thinking about something after you post and hoping its taken the right way, especially when you see so many things kick off needlessly on here.

Finola1step Wed 21-Aug-13 16:07:06

I knew a boy called Finton who was lovely

SpaceKoala Thu 22-Aug-13 21:28:15

My little boy is Finnegan smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now