I'm rubbish with boys' names

(35 Posts)
Jolleigh Fri 16-Aug-13 23:45:32

I'm only 10 weeks gone so plenty of time yet...

I've thought of loads of girl names I just click with but after hours and hours and hours of searching, every single boy name I either hate or neither like or dislike. This is not going to be ideal if it turns out I'm carrying a little boy!

I wouldn't want anything too common but I'd also not want it to be really outlandish.

Help! grin (pretty please)

Confitdecanard Fri 16-Aug-13 23:53:13

I'm the same - boys are hard to name. Some from my list that might fit your criteria are:

Dominic
Rowan
Isaac
Felix
Dexter
Oscar
Miles
Rory

Any good?

Jolleigh Sat 17-Aug-13 00:03:40

We have Dominic in my ok-ish list. The rest I would really hate to call my own child...despite loving the names for other people's children!

I loved Bruce up until I told my brother and he shouted "Nice to see you, to see you..." and now I think of Bruce Forcyth whenever I think of the name lol.

Sebastian is nice but I've only known Sebastians with really snobby mummies (though I'm sure there are lovely Sebastian mummies out there! )

I'm utterly hopeless!

Jolleigh Sat 17-Aug-13 00:07:01

I like Ernest but keep thinking of sesame street sad

I did actually like Dexter for a while until I thought about Dexter's Lab the cartoon!

WinkyWinkola Sat 17-Aug-13 00:07:34

Theodore (Teddy nn)
Barnaby
George
Tobias
Solomon
Marcus
Frederick

Jolleigh Sat 17-Aug-13 00:10:35

Winky...we're along the right tracks with Theodore, but I'd hate it shortened to Theo...much prefer Teddy but Theo is more common I think and will more likely be used when the baby has grown.

Do I just think too much into this? ?

How about Ralph?

BeCool Sat 17-Aug-13 00:15:53

Felix & Ruben

Jolleigh Sat 17-Aug-13 00:16:29

Mermaid - really sorry but it falls into my hate hat...it's an American slang term for being sick and reminds me of the simple kid from the Simpsons lol.

Jolleigh Sat 17-Aug-13 00:17:39

Not for me BeCool...no strong feelings for or against really I'm just not too keen.

WinkyWinkola Sat 17-Aug-13 00:19:55

Wrt Theodore, to some extent you can say how you want your ds to be known. Bit then he will have his own preferences.

funnyossity Sat 17-Aug-13 00:27:19

Magnus ?

BlueStarsAtNight Sat 17-Aug-13 02:58:27

How about some 80's revival names:

Philip
Peter
Simon
Matthew
Christopher
Adrian
Robert

cafecito Sat 17-Aug-13 03:04:54

Nicholas

cafecito Sat 17-Aug-13 03:08:27

Nicholas is just about perfect. Nick nn. Translates well internationally in every language. Not too common. Solid adult name cute baby name could be Nicky or Nico.

cafecito Sat 17-Aug-13 03:10:00

Lucas Henry Joshua Jacob Mateo Alexander William are others I like

Frederick?

Mumblyboo Sat 17-Aug-13 11:36:04

Oooh Robert and Nicholas are nice!!!! Nico is fab!!

Like Ernest. Sorry, but Bruce is awful.

Bram/Abraham
Jeremy/Jem
Laurence
Vincent
Frederick
Bartholomew/Barty
Barnaby or Barnabas
Jude
Hector
Matthias

Jolleigh Sat 17-Aug-13 17:13:53

Haha, yep everyone seems to hate Bruce wink

Sonkey Sat 17-Aug-13 20:47:14

I don't like Bruce and think that is the same kind of name as Eric, so you might like Eric.

Jolleigh Sat 17-Aug-13 20:56:37

I do actually quite like Eric blush couldn't picture giving that name to a baby though.

elQuintoConyo Sat 17-Aug-13 21:25:18

Clive
Albert
Marcus
Otto
Orson
David
Stephen/Steven
Adam
Victor
Gerald
Frasier
Niles... guess who's been watchng

elQuintoConyo Sat 17-Aug-13 21:28:04

Wtf??
Guess who's been watching what!

Anyhoo, I digress...

Gregor
Martin
Glen
Christopher = Chris, Topher
Austin
Peter
Warren
Xavier
Noel

...there must be something out there! Do you have any specific likes/dislikes/rules? Eg, nothing 70s, must be three syllables, can't begin with S etc?

Clargo55 Sat 17-Aug-13 21:37:54

Elias? Nn Eli.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now