Questions on Alexander?

(33 Posts)
PistachioTruffle Thu 15-Aug-13 22:16:54

Currently expecting DC1, a boy. Alexander is my favourite boys name ever, and one of the few DH and I agreed on. However, DH has some reservations, mainly since it was revealed as one of Prince George's middle names. So....

A. Is Alexander is about to experience a huge surge in popularity due to its use by the royals? DH thinks yes, I think it's unlikely.

B. Will it always be associated with Prince George? (I think that noone remembers William's middle names, and therefore it won't be an issue, DH disagrees)

C. Will it be shortened to 'Al'?! I don't mind either Alex or Xander as nicknames, but DH reckons people are likely to shorten it to Al!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

MiaowTheCat Tue 20-Aug-13 20:14:50

The Al-s I know are all Alistairs. All the Alexanders I've come across have been Alexes.

TallulahBetty Mon 19-Aug-13 13:40:58

Yep, I have a family member who has over the years been Alex, Xander, and now Al.

BadRoly Mon 19-Aug-13 11:11:47

Ah not Iheartbuckabees but MrsIndecision with many Alexanders! Sorry, in my limited defence I am in the phone app so can't scroll back while posting hmm

BadRoly Mon 19-Aug-13 11:09:59

Thingymajigs and iheartbuckabees - I'm obviously in the right/wrong part of the country then (depending on how you look at it) wink

JuniperBush Mon 19-Aug-13 10:18:30

It's classic, beautiful, perfect.
A) it's eternally popular
B) no I don't think the royal connection matters
C) Alex is far more likely, besides you can steer nicknames to some extent

Mrsindecision Mon 19-Aug-13 10:03:21

My ds is at secondary school and Alexander is probably the most popular name in his year group, despite it not being in the top 10 (possibly not even top 20?) for his year of birth. I can think of 5 off the top of my head (none of them shortened to Al but some go by Alex), and know of a few others outside of his school of a similar age (weirdly though, there is only one Jack and this was the number one name for years and years around the time I had my dc!) I think that Alexander is a classic that will always be relatively popular and never really date, and I can't see its popularity being drastically affected by the birth of the royal baby.

If you love it, go for it!

ihearthuckabees Mon 19-Aug-13 09:58:00

My 11 year old Alexander became an Alex without any conscious effort, although the older generations often call him Alec. How the name gets shortened probably depends on where you live. Sandy is used a lot in Scotland, but hardy ever in England from what i can tell, and Xander is a kind of trendy version of Alexander, a bit like Charlie, or Alfie etc, s has be one popular that way.

Maybe your DH comes from an area where Al would be common. I know one person who calls my DS Al, but she likes to be different!

I think one of the good things about Alexander is that there are so many options for nicknames, shortened versions. You can't lose.

Thingymajigs Mon 19-Aug-13 09:38:56

badroly I have a 10 yo Alexander who is part of the 'Alex club'. There are 4 other Alex's in his class. We must have all had the same idea at the same time. No idea why there was a popularity spike at that time though.

BadRoly Mon 19-Aug-13 09:31:29

I have a 10yo Alexander. Don't know many others and none in his year group at school.

Doubt it will surge in popularity as it seems to be one of those names that is always on the edges of fashion - everyone knows one or two but there doesn't seem to be 5 in a class smile

My boy dislikes Alex and is known as Ally to everyone although dh and I call him Al on occasion.

On phone so forgotten what else you asked...

PaddyP00 Mon 19-Aug-13 09:24:27

Lex is the shortened form in this house - which had the added coolness of Lex Luther links apparently!! wink

sashh Mon 19-Aug-13 09:07:53

Is Alexander is about to experience a huge surge in popularity due to its use by the royals? DH thinks yes, I think it's unlikely.

Nothing to do with the royal, but there are a lot of pointless fans around and they can't all call their children Richard.

juicyjuice Mon 19-Aug-13 08:57:29

Sorry to go against the grain but I know several Alexanders my age (30ish) who do get called Al- it's more of a nick name of a nick name (Alex) iykwim... Little Alexanders probably don't get called Al much though.

AberdeenAngusina Mon 19-Aug-13 03:19:34

Also, there are plenty of Alexanders; it's not unique to the Prince. Most people would think "Alexander the Great" before they thought "that's Prince George's middle name."

AberdeenAngusina Mon 19-Aug-13 03:17:16

I don't know any Alexanders shortened to Al; it's always Alec, Alex, Sandy or Zander.

notquitenormal Sun 18-Aug-13 22:52:37

I have an Alexander, known as Alex...never anything else. It is a popular name, but not overused I think and it has so many nickname options that multiples aren't much of a problem. We have several in our family (it's a tradition) known variously as Alex, Alec, Sandy & Sacha...but never Al!

MumOfTheMoos Sun 18-Aug-13 20:30:39

I have an Alexander and we call him Sasha (Russian diminutive); every first born boy on my fathers side of the family is called Alexander and are called everyday: Alex, Sandy, Alec, AD (and of course Sasha) but never Al. My dad was known as Ali when he was a kid, leaving him with the assumption that his name was Alistair util he joined the navy during the war and saw his birth certificate for the first time.

I think it's already fairly popular and won't be associated with Prince George.

Alex is default; Xander if you insist on it; Al when he is significantly older, by his own choice.

I didn't like it enough for DS1 but the name we did use for DS1 meant we couldn't use it for subsequent children, which does disappoint me a bit now slightly.

Bowlersarm Sun 18-Aug-13 20:21:17

I really don't think you need to worry about it being a royal middle name.

Most Alexander's I know are Alex; with the exception of one who is Al.

I know a few who were called Xander when small, but the name didn't stick for some reason, and they became Alex.

Littleen Sun 18-Aug-13 20:16:45

My bf's name is Alexander - shortened to Al by lots of people, but he calls himself Alex! I can't stand Al, so I always introduce him as Alex :P Not met many with the name in UK but it's very popular other places in Europe.

PistachioTruffle Sat 17-Aug-13 11:13:03

Thank you all for your replies!

I knew Alexander was pretty popular (for good reason, it's a great name!), and obviosuly didnt mind, but I think DH has visions of every other boy born this year being given the name due to its use by Will and Kate hmm

As it is, I'm not giving up on it yet as I really love it!

Sanjifair Sat 17-Aug-13 06:55:46

I have an Alexander. It's a lot more popular than I realised, I know at least 7 of them. Never called Al, only Alex. As its already so popular, I doubt the prince's middle name will make any difference.

nelly83 Fri 16-Aug-13 19:56:40

I have an Alexander. We call him Alex or Ali, never Al. Obviously I think its an oober cool name! I was a bit worried when I heard the prince's name but I think its popular enough anyway. I think its a name that suits all ages and is lovely as full name or as nn e.g. Alex. Gfi!

nelly83 Fri 16-Aug-13 19:56:28

I have an Alexander. We call him Alex or Ali, never Al. Obviously I think its an oober cool name! I was a bit worried when I heard the prince's name but I think its popular enough anyway. I think its a name that suits all ages and is lovely as full name or as nn e.g. Alex. Gfi!

Thurlow Fri 16-Aug-13 13:23:18

It's a classic name, and I don't think it will be affected at all by being one of Prince George's middle names. Some people might think of shortening it to 'Al' but I'd see that more as a nn for Alistair than for Alexander - Alex/Xander are far more common.

lilstar Fri 16-Aug-13 08:40:58

I forgot Alexander was even in the prince's name and suspect alot of other people will be the same. I don't think its overly popular either. At least it isn't here...I'm in central scotland. I do know one Alexander and it only ever gets shortened to Alex. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Personally I think it's a lovely boys name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now