Amabel?

(78 Posts)
212VIP Wed 14-Aug-13 22:23:43

Thoughts please!

It's dreadful because it looks and sounds daft. It looks like a spelling mistake and it sounds like a child mispronouncing annabelle.

ZolaBuddleia Tue 20-Aug-13 08:38:57

It looks to me like it should rhyme with Mabel, not Annabel.

minipie Tue 20-Aug-13 14:39:43

I know it's a real name OP (thanks to Georgette Heyer) but most will think it's Annabel spelled wrong.

Yonionekanobe Tue 20-Aug-13 18:26:17

My toddler calls my friend Annabelle, Amabelle so to my ear it sounds like a mispronunciation - sorry.

YoniSingWhenYoureWinning Tue 20-Aug-13 19:13:12

No. It will drive her mad correcting from Annabel ALL THE TIME.

squoosh Tue 20-Aug-13 19:48:17

She will never be able to have a full time job because correcting people who get her name wrong will occupy all her waking hours.

'No not Annabelle, it's Amabel. No, AMABELL, with an M, it sounds like Annabelle, but it's Amabel. Yes it is a silly name but my Mum thought it was pretty.

EnjoyEverySandwich Tue 20-Aug-13 22:29:57

It's a lovely name with a medieval feel to it. Nice to see someone bringing out an old and beautiful name.

There are plenty of other names that are close in sound or spelling, and it would be a dull old world if they were all avoided. I have a surname which is frequently misspelled or mispronounced (along the lines of Saunders/Sanders), but it's not a big deal.

Frikadellen Wed 21-Aug-13 00:43:57

I ADORE it and dh does too and we discussed it with all 4 of our pregnancies and it made the short list twice..

however with Annabel/etc being as popular as it is we didnt want to give her the hazzle of years of

yes aMabel with an "M" no not an n Mmm Muh

So never used it but oh i love it.

ovenbun Thu 22-Aug-13 14:49:38

It would be pretty if your dd wouldn't have to explain the spelling everytime..just not practical....how about Amira?

ludog Thu 22-Aug-13 22:48:24

Amabeliever

Minty82 Fri 23-Aug-13 12:18:45

I know an Amabel, and think it's very pretty, but it would be irritating to always have to correct people who think it's Annabel.

NoComet Fri 23-Aug-13 12:28:03

I have an unusual maiden name that is one letter different from something very common. I spent my life spelling it and people still sent my post addressed to the common one.

Just don't do it!

EnjoyEverySandwich Fri 23-Aug-13 13:32:42

Me too, StarBall, but it really doesn't bother me.

NoComet Fri 23-Aug-13 14:03:06

Unfortunately mine can have either the second or first letter changed

Think Janes to Jones or Banes.

Jones is OK, but in an alphabetical world Banes causes people to say you don't exist. It gets a bit tedious.

Chl0e Fri 23-Aug-13 16:09:56

No idea what the consensus is but I would pick Annabel or Mabel. I know Amabel is a proper name, but oh look, my spell check has underlined it, but it hasn't underlined Mabel or Annabel.

Laquila Fri 23-Aug-13 16:35:43

I think it's a very pretty name but as evidenced by this thread, people seem slightly offended by its very existence. Other variants/ similar name pairs don't seem to provoke such a response, so I assume it's because Amabel just isn't that well known.

LeoandBoosmum Fri 23-Aug-13 16:38:12

I'm sorry but, for the love of God, no! As one poster said, it sounds like I'm a bell. You say when you say it quickly it sounds nice...I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

NadiaWadia Fri 23-Aug-13 16:59:09

But you can't go by spell check, what do they know?

NadiaWadia Fri 23-Aug-13 17:01:32

All this 'I'm a bell' stuff is nonsense. After all 'Isabel' sounds like 'is a bell' and no one mentions anything about that, just because it is a more well known name. Similarly 'Nicholas' sounds like 'knickerless' etc, etc.

SirChenjin Fri 23-Aug-13 17:05:08

I have a surname that is constantly misspelled and mispronounced - it is a PITA. Unless you absolutely have to, please don't saddle your child with a name she will have to spell out or correct its pronunciation forever

Chl0e Fri 23-Aug-13 19:54:52

but that's the problem really, not that it's an unusual name, but that it's one letter away from being a much more well known name.

If you changed Isobel to Isodel people would just assume they'd misheard, if they noticed.

EnjoyEverySandwich Fri 23-Aug-13 21:06:59

I would have LOVED to have been named Amabel, rather than the crap name my parents chose.

delilah89 Sat 24-Aug-13 21:43:26

annabel yes, amabel no

cheekbyjowl Sat 24-Aug-13 22:53:07

wonderful name. sounds softer than annabel. it was on our list but we had a boy. only conSideration is how it might be shortened..if annabel you can be an anna or bella...mabel is cute in a vintage way too

GibberTheMonkey Sat 24-Aug-13 23:09:50

Pretty sure there's a poem about Amabel by Hardy.
I like it but worry there would be too much confusion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now