Olive

(79 Posts)
Mumblyboo Tue 13-Aug-13 22:50:15

I love.. What do you think? Sum it up in three words please .... smile

printmeanicephoto Wed 21-Aug-13 00:15:05

Great!

WinterCarlisle Mon 19-Aug-13 17:02:10

Weirdly, I'm called Alice and my DN is Olive grin. I wasn't keen on the name Olive when she was first born but it has grown on me since (ha ha). I do think it's becoming quite popular now, Sacha Baron Cohen and Isla Fisher's daughter is also an Olive

SleepyCatOnTheMat Mon 19-Aug-13 16:50:13

I agree Olive is like Margot, but I don't think either is like Alice. Maybe they were once but not any more - Alice has become mainstream.

sleepingbeautiful Sun 18-Aug-13 15:51:32

Frumpy awful no

buttercrumble Sun 18-Aug-13 09:09:55

I love it grin

HahaHarrie Sat 17-Aug-13 23:10:33

Olives and olive green are my first thoughts, and I'm not a fan of either.

As a name it is growing on me... Alice and Olive sounds sweet together but very close to Alice & Olivia the designers. How about Alice & Clara, Alice & Agnes, Alice & Ottilie, Alice & Iris, Alice & Ava, Alice & Aurelie?

Sorry for not sounding very positive, I think I've been put off by a very contrived, smug, cloying, arty couple with an Olive.

WhyMeWhyNot Sat 17-Aug-13 21:15:34

Olive was Little Miss Sunshine

Lovely character

I like the name, I'd have it in a flash

Mumblyboo Sat 17-Aug-13 21:08:11

Mortified given the reaction it's had on here I'd say its safe from top 20 for the foreseeable future!! I think Alice and olive are the same sort of name... Along with Margot.... Classy but not posh, if that makes sense?

Ihatepeas Sat 17-Aug-13 20:44:14

Alice and olive is fabulous!
I would of had olive for dd but dh vetoed. Sob! It's such a cool name!

MortifiedAdams Sat 17-Aug-13 20:14:48

Mum it was top twenty in the 1920s!!

SleepyCatOnTheMat Sat 17-Aug-13 19:49:39

Hmmm, I'm not sure what I think of Alice and Olive as a sibset. Alice is quite popular and mainstream whereas Olive is unusual and old lady chic...either of them might end up envying the other. To make them more evenly matched what about:

Alice and Hannah
Alice and Emily (or Emma)
Alice and Elizabeth
Alice and Charlotte
Alice and Lucy
Alice and Chloe
Alice and Matilda
Alice and Rosie
Alice and Bella

Mumblyboo Sat 17-Aug-13 19:34:57

I don't think it will ever be a popular name so don't panic.... I actually wanted olive for our dd1 but graciously let dh have final say and he went for Alice... She is 3...... I got dibs on the next name!!! ;)

chilipeppers Sat 17-Aug-13 17:29:54

Are you kidding??!

In three words!

My middle name

Little miss sunshine (awesome role model)

Nature, fresh and green

I must admit I hated having olive as my middle name as a kid in the 80s and 90s, but now I see how cool it is. On the buses will only mean something to people older than me, and I'm 32. So means nothing really. Its a name with character rather than all these cutesy 'ie' names.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sat 17-Aug-13 16:00:36

Ive wanted Olive for DD2 since I decide to ttc again. And the name is everywhere now, its like shit on a shoe!!

I was exactly the same with Elodie - DM first suggested it 10 fucking years ago and it looks like everyone will have an Elodie before me! grin

Ihatepeas Fri 16-Aug-13 22:37:52

Love love love!

ElBombero Fri 16-Aug-13 21:28:13

Awwwwwww lurve it

MortifiedAdams Fri 16-Aug-13 19:19:22

This thread is frustrating me grin

Ive wanted Olive for DD2 since I decide to ttc again. And the name is everywhere now, its like shit on a shoe!!

Chottie Fri 16-Aug-13 19:16:12

My neighbour's new GD is called Olive

Mumblyboo Fri 16-Aug-13 17:18:47

Violet is pretty but looks v similar to violent.... I kinda thought olive would be a marmite name. Any olives out there want to give me their perspective???

NadiaWadia Fri 16-Aug-13 03:50:15

Small, green and belonging in a jar.

Olivia, OTOH, is lovely.

cafecito Thu 15-Aug-13 23:58:09

fabulous former colleague

laravh Thu 15-Aug-13 23:26:34

My dads ex wife is named olive, bug has always been known as Joyce (middle name), I nearly peed my pants at their wedding when the registrar said 'Olive'!!
So it's a no from me... There's nothing pretty or feminine about it.

On the Buses.

It's a dull ploddy name and a horrid pukey colour quite apart from a foul food.

everlong Thu 15-Aug-13 22:41:11

Ada is dreadful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now