Thoughts on Maud / Maude?

(29 Posts)
TheFantasticFixit Tue 06-Aug-13 11:03:06

DH hates it, but I adore it. It's pretty and delicate to my ear, so lovely for a baby but sensible for an adult.

We have a Bess at the moment, and I like 'vintage' names.

So, old lady chic, or old lady eeeek?!

Blu Tue 06-Aug-13 18:41:31

Maude is lovely.

As is Nancy.

And yes, many old timers hold 'Maude' in tender regard.

bamboostalks Tue 06-Aug-13 18:37:08

Maud and Maude is lovely and always a special name here on mumsnet especially for the old timers.

DesertOrchid Tue 06-Aug-13 18:34:53

I really love it but like you DH hates it. My two year old on the other hand thinks it's ace and that's what she wants to call her new baby sister...

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 06-Aug-13 18:00:32

It makes me think of family guy. That's about it, really.

Teamjavert Tue 06-Aug-13 17:57:54

Ugly and harsh.

IslaValargeone Tue 06-Aug-13 17:08:44

Only know of it through the actress Maude Adams and as she is stunningly beautiful and glamorous I think it's rather lovely.

Saffyz Tue 06-Aug-13 17:08:22

It's an "eeeek" from me, sorry.

EnidClowes Tue 06-Aug-13 17:01:25

Makes me think of the gorgeous film Harold and Maude. Maude is ace! Bit of an out there name nowadays but if I met a little Maude the only old lady connotations would be of a really cool, carefree old lady in the film.

outtolunchagain Tue 06-Aug-13 16:49:53

I know a Maud she is 11 and lovely , also like Dora and Violet

Slavetominidictator Tue 06-Aug-13 16:48:40

Adore Maud. I have a Claudia or I would use it myself for dd2 (imaginary) - obv too rhymey.
Bess is also beautiful and goes beautifully with Maud.

ZolaBuddleia Tue 06-Aug-13 16:43:06

I love Bess, for me it's one of those wild and beautiful names, all long auburn locks and striding about on heaths. Maud in comparison is a stout woman with varicose veins.

Nancy and Nell would also be in the first category, Mabel and Elsie would be in the second.

formicadinosaur Tue 06-Aug-13 16:36:42

Maude is such a lovely name. Nell also. Nancy and olive would be great with bess.

SamuelAndOscarsMummy Tue 06-Aug-13 14:39:03

I hate it, sorry. I do like SOME old lady names (adore Betsy and Elsie) but some just make me cringe!

Then again, she is your little girl. Some people say my youngest son's name (Oscar-Jack) reminds them of something you would call a cat, the hyphenating of it is chavvy blah blah blah, but I love it so I don't give a toss!

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 06-Aug-13 14:15:29

Old lady eeek.

I heard a toddler being called Maude in the park I thought 'poor thing'. I think it's a terrible name, sorry. Not pretty.

On a par with myrtle for me.
Yuck.

Leeds2 Tue 06-Aug-13 13:37:37

Neither love nor loathe it, tbh.

Prefer Nell, out of the vintage names.

Christelle2207 Tue 06-Aug-13 13:34:51

old fashioned but cool.
Maude has a softer feel than Maud.
Old lady chic.

I love Maude. Love it.

absentmindeddooooodles Tue 06-Aug-13 11:33:25

I just named my kitten Maude. Purely because I wanted to use it as a baby name but had a D's! Gorgeous name. Love it.

Pretty sure she was actually Margaret or Margarita though. There was also a Bunty , short for Elizabeth.

Nah, Rita was an Aunt of mine - lovely woman she'd have been born late 1920s I think.

TheFantasticFixit Tue 06-Aug-13 11:24:53

Ah, I didn't know that Natandmat. That's really interesting because although I really prefer short names (hence Bess, not Elizabeth) I do very much like Matilda.

TheFantasticFixit Tue 06-Aug-13 11:23:35

See Duffle, that's exactly as I imagine her, long limbed, elegant and dignified, with a streak of fierce through her from 3monkeys gran! I'm surprised you rate Rita over Maude Soontobe, to me Rita is very 80's!

natandmat Tue 06-Aug-13 11:23:16

I love it! It's a nn of Matilda, we use it for our little girl!

natandmat Tue 06-Aug-13 11:22:39

I love it! It's a nn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now