Thoughts on Maud / Maude?

(29 Posts)
TheFantasticFixit Tue 06-Aug-13 11:03:06

DH hates it, but I adore it. It's pretty and delicate to my ear, so lovely for a baby but sensible for an adult.

We have a Bess at the moment, and I like 'vintage' names.

So, old lady chic, or old lady eeeek?!

latter I'm afraid.

Rita, Sadie, Edith, Mabel, Hetty or Elsie are all far more appealing.

3monkeys Tue 06-Aug-13 11:05:54

My gran was a Maud! She was a tiny fierce lady, not granny like at all but fab smile

dufflefluffle Tue 06-Aug-13 11:06:14

Love it and I do know a Maude who is 15 years old - it's just gorgeous and dignified and perfect for a tiny baby to an old lady!

Maude and Bess together are beautiful

So, old lady chic, or old lady eeeek grin

natandmat Tue 06-Aug-13 11:22:39

I love it! It's a nn

natandmat Tue 06-Aug-13 11:23:16

I love it! It's a nn of Matilda, we use it for our little girl!

TheFantasticFixit Tue 06-Aug-13 11:23:35

See Duffle, that's exactly as I imagine her, long limbed, elegant and dignified, with a streak of fierce through her from 3monkeys gran! I'm surprised you rate Rita over Maude Soontobe, to me Rita is very 80's!

TheFantasticFixit Tue 06-Aug-13 11:24:53

Ah, I didn't know that Natandmat. That's really interesting because although I really prefer short names (hence Bess, not Elizabeth) I do very much like Matilda.

Nah, Rita was an Aunt of mine - lovely woman she'd have been born late 1920s I think.

Pretty sure she was actually Margaret or Margarita though. There was also a Bunty , short for Elizabeth.

absentmindeddooooodles Tue 06-Aug-13 11:33:25

I just named my kitten Maude. Purely because I wanted to use it as a baby name but had a D's! Gorgeous name. Love it.

I love Maude. Love it.

Christelle2207 Tue 06-Aug-13 13:34:51

old fashioned but cool.
Maude has a softer feel than Maud.
Old lady chic.

Leeds2 Tue 06-Aug-13 13:37:37

Neither love nor loathe it, tbh.

Prefer Nell, out of the vintage names.

On a par with myrtle for me.
Yuck.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 06-Aug-13 14:15:29

Old lady eeek.

I heard a toddler being called Maude in the park I thought 'poor thing'. I think it's a terrible name, sorry. Not pretty.

SamuelAndOscarsMummy Tue 06-Aug-13 14:39:03

I hate it, sorry. I do like SOME old lady names (adore Betsy and Elsie) but some just make me cringe!

Then again, she is your little girl. Some people say my youngest son's name (Oscar-Jack) reminds them of something you would call a cat, the hyphenating of it is chavvy blah blah blah, but I love it so I don't give a toss!

formicadinosaur Tue 06-Aug-13 16:36:42

Maude is such a lovely name. Nell also. Nancy and olive would be great with bess.

ZolaBuddleia Tue 06-Aug-13 16:43:06

I love Bess, for me it's one of those wild and beautiful names, all long auburn locks and striding about on heaths. Maud in comparison is a stout woman with varicose veins.

Nancy and Nell would also be in the first category, Mabel and Elsie would be in the second.

Slavetominidictator Tue 06-Aug-13 16:48:40

Adore Maud. I have a Claudia or I would use it myself for dd2 (imaginary) - obv too rhymey.
Bess is also beautiful and goes beautifully with Maud.

outtolunchagain Tue 06-Aug-13 16:49:53

I know a Maud she is 11 and lovely , also like Dora and Violet

EnidClowes Tue 06-Aug-13 17:01:25

Makes me think of the gorgeous film Harold and Maude. Maude is ace! Bit of an out there name nowadays but if I met a little Maude the only old lady connotations would be of a really cool, carefree old lady in the film.

Saffyz Tue 06-Aug-13 17:08:22

It's an "eeeek" from me, sorry.

IslaValargeone Tue 06-Aug-13 17:08:44

Only know of it through the actress Maude Adams and as she is stunningly beautiful and glamorous I think it's rather lovely.

Teamjavert Tue 06-Aug-13 17:57:54

Ugly and harsh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now