Girls names - no abbreviations!

(65 Posts)
Winter123 Sat 03-Aug-13 14:13:04

Any suggestions for girls names that can't be abbreviated?! I really like Isabella but hate the idea of people abbreviating it to Izzie. DH and I have people abbreviate our names all the time and hate it!

At the minute we also like Alice (praying no one calls them Ali) and Imogen.

MortifiedAdams Sat 03-Aug-13 15:48:47

Aurora

Turniptwirl Sat 03-Aug-13 15:48:59

Ann
Joy
Hope
Rose
Belle

I know an Imee too, Imogen can definitely be shortened

Tbh people will shorten anything. My parents chose my name so it couldn't be shortened and it generally wasn't when I was a child but it is now I'm an adult.

My mums family all have long names that are never shortened within the family but that are by everyone else who knows them. You may just have to put up with what other people call your dd and use her full name yourself

You can't really stop the Al - Alice, Imogen - Immie thing, but you can minimise the chance by picking a name without a common abbreviation. For instance, if you call her Elizabeth you're asking for it, but even if you called her Libby on the BC she'd end up being Libs most of the time! It's just what people do. It has to be a one-syllable to stop people from shortening, and even then people will find a way (Faith - Fay for instance).

It's how people show affection for each other, really. I think it's nice, and in the instances I've just outlined, more a pet name than a nickname.

I've never called my friend Alice Al. I sometimes call her Lissypops or A-bot...

I think you should call her Heidi smile

Blythe
Fay
Gwen
Eve
Kay
Wren
Tara
Lara
Kara

GoodtoBetter Sat 03-Aug-13 15:59:10

You can't stop people shortening names, and I don't really understand the fuss either ad it'd almost always done affectionately. Choose a name you love, like Isabella and then just be firm about correcting people who shorten it.

WeAll Sat 03-Aug-13 15:59:57

Cora?

Winter123 Sat 03-Aug-13 16:08:36

GoodtoBetter I know this isn't an issue for most, it's just something DH and I don't like. It's not the most important thing in the world, would have just been a 'nice to have'. I get that for some its a sign of affection and they aren't dong it to be mean! (my family abbreviate my name and I don't mind it too much, shock just hate it when others do)

Think I've learnt that there isn't a way of getting around this abbreviation business!

GoodtoBetter Sat 03-Aug-13 16:29:57

But people will shorten or create pet names whatever you choose, so you might as well pick something you love.

Winter123 Sat 03-Aug-13 16:44:52

Yes, I think that's what I think GoodtoBetter smile

Queazy Sat 03-Aug-13 20:17:14

How about:

Joy
Anne
Amelie
Bo
Martha
Maisie
Erin

xx

Barbeasty Sat 03-Aug-13 20:21:19

But if they don't shorten it, they'll lengthen it.

DD is Ruth. Known pretty widely as Ruthy.

We've had better luck with DS. He's Anthony, but I don't want it shortened yet. Because we call him Anthony every time, it's only slightly PA SIL who shortens it (named after FIL who was known as Tony)

Go with a name you like, accept that some people will change any name, and ignore/ correct them.

formicadinosaur Sun 04-Aug-13 00:55:19

Tess

Brooke

Mrsindecision Sun 04-Aug-13 01:42:52

Please excuse any duplicates:
Ava
Mia
Erin
Skye
Sara
Tara
Cara
Zara
Iris
Isis
Ivy
Thea
Mary
Siân
Iona
Ada
Cora
Nora
Nell
Fleur
Cleo
Naya
Fern
Joy

DD is Catrin, I've only heard one person shorten it to Cat and that was last week, (we do call her kit kat at home as a pet name though).

nocheeseplease Sun 04-Aug-13 02:16:58

I have a Leah and nobody ever shortens it. I was worried she might get Lee when she went to school but it never happened and she has got to the age of 9 so far with everyone using her proper name.

Impossible, as if people don't shorten it they lengthen it.

I know a Jack known as Jackie, a Jordan known as Joe and a Jo known as Joey.

aufaniae Sun 04-Aug-13 12:03:53

Lowri
Cerys

FWIW I love that people shorten my name and I'm slightly sad the name we picked for DD, which we love otherwise, can't be shortened!

Also, a cautionary tale, MIL gave DP a name which can't be shortened because, like you she doesn't like it. He was given a nickname by friends when he was young which is unrealted to the name MIL gave him, and as an adult everybody knows him by his nickname! Only MIL calls him his given name.

Of course you should chose a name you love and if this is an important criteria for you then stick to your guns, but I wouldn't make it the most important thing if you find a name you love that can be shortened.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 04-Aug-13 13:52:02

I have a name that in no way can be shortened and when I got to school the other children just called me by my initial grin

No matter what you do, or don't do, nicknames and shorthand will ALWAYS be found.

Just pick a name you like and stop hypothetically worrying about what nickname someone might or might not give her in the future smile

CruCru Sun 04-Aug-13 14:00:12

Hannah? Ilsa?

CruCru Sun 04-Aug-13 14:00:47

Jane? Sarah?

ThursdayLast Sun 04-Aug-13 14:09:01

I am one of your options...I hate it when people abbreviate my name, so I ask them not to.
It works.

CruCru Sun 04-Aug-13 14:09:17

Helen?

ODearMe Sun 04-Aug-13 14:12:56

Kim cannot be shortened, can be lengthened though to Kimmy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now