Hebe...

(40 Posts)

Will she be forever confused with Phoebe? Have to put up with Constant jokes about the 'Hebe Jeebees'?

We both like it which is shocking the only other name we both agree on is Flora.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 03-Aug-13 18:13:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

My granda was affectionately call heebie by my gran, he was Herbert. So you could still use it.

I also love Blythe, but with ds being Blair, to matchy matchy!

I think,quite shockingly,we may have settled on Hebe grin

mootime Sat 03-Aug-13 11:36:24

I love Hebe. Beautiful name.

Heebiejeebie Fri 02-Aug-13 23:19:40

It's a perfect name.

hackneyzoo Fri 02-Aug-13 22:44:18

UpTheFrigg, my garden is now full of them, been given hebes left right and centre! At least there are a lot of varities smile

Yes,it was that blog Schmaltzing grin

I quite like the plant blush but agree the mythology is more interesting and I just love the way the word sounds.
I feel the same way about Arlo...it's a name I could say over and over just for the love of the word blush

hackneyzoo Fri 02-Aug-13 16:37:35

Most people I have met have associated it with Greek mythology rather than the plant....it is a boring looking plant! (But apparently the national plant of NZ.) Never heard about it being used as Jewish slang and live in quite a Jewish area.

hackneyzoo Fri 02-Aug-13 16:34:56

My DD2 is Hebe (Elizabeth), it does sometimes get confused with Phoebe, but it's not really a problem.
I love it and have had lots of positive feedback about it. If you like a name go for it, every name has the potential to be confused or have negative connotations.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 02-Aug-13 16:29:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mollie272 Fri 02-Aug-13 02:26:08

I love Hebe - great name!

Rhubarbgarden Thu 01-Aug-13 23:22:20

I like it. A shame Hebes are such boooooring plants though. Flora is beautiful and would have been my choice if it didn't unfortunately rhyme with my name.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 01-Aug-13 23:19:16

I know a little Hebe I think it's a very sweet name

FingersCrossedLegsNot Thu 01-Aug-13 23:10:45

I love love love Hebe but because some people may not have heard it before it may get confused with Phoebe!

I really don't know Roses that's a whole other can of worms grin

It wouldn't be Elizabeth though,too bland.

RosesInTheRain Thu 01-Aug-13 21:36:59

I know one, she's 5. It really suits her- she's bright and sparky and it just fits smile What middle would you go for? My first thought is Hebe Elizabeth

SanityClause Thu 01-Aug-13 21:13:30

Sorry, the "Nice!" referred to the name, not the post above mine.

It's one of those names you forget about, but when you hear it, wonder why it isn't more popular.

KateCroydon Thu 01-Aug-13 20:59:09

Sorry for bringing up something so vile, but it's my first reaction to the name.

BikeRunSki Thu 01-Aug-13 20:58:43

Frigg, b and g names lined up, but DH is a control freak and paid for s private scan too, so she was expected.

I like Hebe, unaware of slang usage until now, but think she will be confused for Phoebe. I speak as someone with an unusual name ( for my ave, v common now) which sounds almost, but not quite, like a very common name.

Wbdn28 Thu 01-Aug-13 20:53:05

As a reference to the plant it's a nice name, but unfortunately there's also the slang use of the word as mentioned by *KateCroydon".

Weird

SanityClause Thu 01-Aug-13 20:46:09

Nice!

KateCroydon Thu 01-Aug-13 20:45:29

It's archaic antisemitic slang.

grin
@ bikerun did you have a boys name ready?! Was it a big shock? <prepares self>

SchmaltzingMatilda I keep wondering...do you have a blog,where you go by a very similar name? Or is my babynaming brain working overtime? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now