emma is too popular

(60 Posts)
lrdavis Thu 01-Aug-13 01:27:10

I have always loved the name Emma but it is so popular (not pregnant just talking to hubby) so I want to name a girl Emmaleigh pronounced Emily..... any thoughts?

nobabe Fri 09-Aug-13 08:17:06

I had to change my name because it wouldn't let me back on and my husband is the one who put the first comment under this name.

nobabe Fri 09-Aug-13 08:15:29

OK well my Ryan will be rian. His dad would be Brian and I don't want a Jr but something close so I'm just taking the b off and using the same middle name. Sorry if that upsets you but that's what we will do.

Stokes Fri 09-Aug-13 07:54:29

Thanks Master, couldn't remember if it was Irish, welsh or Scottish.

MasterFlea Fri 09-Aug-13 06:24:32

The Rian name is Irish for Ryan. It is pronounced Ree-an in Ireland.

It has nothing to do with Brian or Bryan. Like o'Brien is different to O'Ryan or O Malley.

But in america names can be anything and spelt any old way. Or so I believe from watching too much US tv.

I love the name Emma. Have it on my short list for the imaginary no.3 dc.

nobabe Fri 09-Aug-13 05:19:24

Then why is Brian still pronounced Bryan... its the same

Stokes Thu 08-Aug-13 14:30:01

I love Emma and Emily. Emmaleigh is awful. Leigh is quite nice though!

Oh, and btw, I'm pretty sure the boy's name Rian is pronounced Ree-un, not the same as Ryan.

nobabe Wed 07-Aug-13 20:38:45

I personally don't like boring spelling either so I understand switching it up I'm in the u.s. also and I have seem much weirder thingssmile

fuzzle Wed 07-Aug-13 20:17:53

why bother making life complicated. Emily is lovely. Just as it is.

badtime Wed 07-Aug-13 11:41:44

Try:

Emmeline
Emilia/Emiliana
Emerald
Emérence
Emina
Emmanuelle
Ember

Because you are in America, you could probably get away with Emmaleigh, but I don't think it's as nice as some of the real, more unusual 'Em-' names.

exoticfruits Wed 07-Aug-13 06:05:10

I like both Emily and Emma. If you have Emily for goodness sake spell it properly or the poor girl will have a life time of having to spell it out for everyone and explain that 'yes, her parents could spell really, they were just trying to be 'original'.

nobabe Wed 07-Aug-13 05:56:29

I think that it is odd... but I understand you not wanting a popular spelling. Its kinds pretty long but it looks pretty when you write it down smile

Supertrooper88 Sat 03-Aug-13 10:03:15

Variations of Emma:

Emmaline
Emmalyn
Emmie
Emelia
Emerald
Emilie

Also:
Amelia
Amalie

Possibly:
Jemma/Gemma
Hannah
Ella

EatYourCrusts Fri 02-Aug-13 12:44:37

Actually, if I had to write Emmaleigh every time I signed a Christmas card, my entire life, instead of Emily, I expect I would be very resentful by the age of 17. Those microseconds add up.

EatYourCrusts Fri 02-Aug-13 12:42:01

His about Aymarly?

minesamalbec Fri 02-Aug-13 12:36:36

Emma is a beautiful, classic name. I think Emily is probably more popular right now in the UK. However, I wouldn't spell it Emmaleigh, you'll spend her childhood correctly the spelling to others and she'll spend her adulthood doing the same and you'll never find a pencil,pencil case or cup with her name on it.

Monkeyandanimal Fri 02-Aug-13 12:22:16

I would pronouce Emmaleigh as Emma-leigh; which sounds quite dallas-trailer-trashy; she will always be correcting people either on the pronunciation or the spelling if you do this! Emily lovely and Emma is really nice. I think more common among 30 and 40 year olds than in children now.

Monkeyandanimal Fri 02-Aug-13 12:20:17

I would pronouce Emmaleigh as Emma-leigh; which sounds quite dallas-trailer-trashy; she will always be correcting people either on the pronunciation or the spelling if you do this! Emily lovely and Emma is really nice. I think more common among 30 and 40 year olds than in children now.

happyfrogger Thu 01-Aug-13 21:54:14

I have a 1yo Emma - love it! Everyone loves it. Don't know any others.

petalpower Thu 01-Aug-13 21:46:10

DD aged 11 is Emma. I love the name! I know lots of Emilys under the age of 11 but no other Emmas. Lots of my friends (aged 40ish!) are called Emma though.

lrdavis Thu 01-Aug-13 21:42:15

Hannah.... I didn't realize the big difference in spelling of names being odd in other places but except able in america

Bowlersarm Thu 01-Aug-13 21:39:11

I think if you're American OP the same rules don't apply.

In that case Emmaleigh is fine, and she can drop the 'Leigh' bit when she's older, if she wants (or if she comes to live in Britain wink)

formicadinosaur Thu 01-Aug-13 21:36:39

There's also Hannah

formicadinosaur Thu 01-Aug-13 21:35:02

Emily and Emma are classic and timeless. I only know one Emma and Emily both in their 30s. Lovely name.

Emmaleigh is plain awful. I'd expect an emmaleigh to be quite rough sorry.

What about Emme, Emmy, Emmeline or emerald,

SuddenlySqueamish Thu 01-Aug-13 21:23:46

If you look on Dark Greener you'll see it is going down in popularity names.darkgreener.com/#emma

lljkk Thu 01-Aug-13 21:20:51

ah, geographic context different.
Emma is rather rare over here for under 20s.
Emily is a dime a dozen over here among the under... 7s?
Look, MN is very conservative in name tastes and the most conventional spelling is usually favoured here. You live in a culture where it won't get frowned upon so much so do as you like.
Me, I am lazy and don't want my children to be burdened with having to explain how to spell their name all their lives. So my kids have the most boring names I could think of.

ps: irony is I myself have a common name with a bizarre spelling I chose, being as I'm American I got away with it. DH's name is even more boring than mine (regular spelling).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now