emma is too popular

(60 Posts)
lrdavis Thu 01-Aug-13 01:27:10

I have always loved the name Emma but it is so popular (not pregnant just talking to hubby) so I want to name a girl Emmaleigh pronounced Emily..... any thoughts?

exoticfruits Wed 07-Aug-13 06:05:10

I like both Emily and Emma. If you have Emily for goodness sake spell it properly or the poor girl will have a life time of having to spell it out for everyone and explain that 'yes, her parents could spell really, they were just trying to be 'original'.

badtime Wed 07-Aug-13 11:41:44

Try:

Emmeline
Emilia/Emiliana
Emerald
Emérence
Emina
Emmanuelle
Ember

Because you are in America, you could probably get away with Emmaleigh, but I don't think it's as nice as some of the real, more unusual 'Em-' names.

fuzzle Wed 07-Aug-13 20:17:53

why bother making life complicated. Emily is lovely. Just as it is.

nobabe Wed 07-Aug-13 20:38:45

I personally don't like boring spelling either so I understand switching it up I'm in the u.s. also and I have seem much weirder thingssmile

Stokes Thu 08-Aug-13 14:30:01

I love Emma and Emily. Emmaleigh is awful. Leigh is quite nice though!

Oh, and btw, I'm pretty sure the boy's name Rian is pronounced Ree-un, not the same as Ryan.

nobabe Fri 09-Aug-13 05:19:24

Then why is Brian still pronounced Bryan... its the same

MasterFlea Fri 09-Aug-13 06:24:32

The Rian name is Irish for Ryan. It is pronounced Ree-an in Ireland.

It has nothing to do with Brian or Bryan. Like o'Brien is different to O'Ryan or O Malley.

But in america names can be anything and spelt any old way. Or so I believe from watching too much US tv.

I love the name Emma. Have it on my short list for the imaginary no.3 dc.

Stokes Fri 09-Aug-13 07:54:29

Thanks Master, couldn't remember if it was Irish, welsh or Scottish.

nobabe Fri 09-Aug-13 08:15:29

OK well my Ryan will be rian. His dad would be Brian and I don't want a Jr but something close so I'm just taking the b off and using the same middle name. Sorry if that upsets you but that's what we will do.

nobabe Fri 09-Aug-13 08:17:06

I had to change my name because it wouldn't let me back on and my husband is the one who put the first comment under this name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now