emma is too popular

(60 Posts)
lrdavis Thu 01-Aug-13 01:27:10

I have always loved the name Emma but it is so popular (not pregnant just talking to hubby) so I want to name a girl Emmaleigh pronounced Emily..... any thoughts?

Still18atheart Thu 01-Aug-13 17:02:55

sorry didn't mean to post that twice

Hoolit Thu 01-Aug-13 17:04:32

I have an 9yo Emma, only met 1 other but there are lots of Emily s.
I think I would pronounce Emmaleigh as Emma Leigh even though I know what you mean ifykwim !! Not deliberately though.

ems1910 Thu 01-Aug-13 17:05:48

It was very popular in the 80s. I was one of 3 in my primary class but don't hear it so much now.

Emily is more popular ime.

Emmaleigh is a no from me too.

Supertrooper88 Thu 01-Aug-13 17:08:14

I am an Emma aged 40. Went to school with 3 other Emmas in my class. Although I only know of one currently and she is 10 years younger than me.
My DC aged 15 and 12 have several Emilys as friends. My 12yo has one Emma in her class.

I think Emma was very fashionable with the Claires, Sarahs and Julies of the 1970's. It a very well known name but in reality not many babies or younger children using the name these days. Emily is much more current than Emma imo.

Emmaleigh is hideous. Sorry but it screams "desperate to be different" I would rate Emmaleigh down there with Chardonnay!

Emma is a classic name imo and I really quite like it. I know that sounds a bit vain being that its my name but I prefer it to all of my sisters names and so glad I got it. If I wasnt an Emma i think I would have chosen it for my DD.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Thu 01-Aug-13 17:08:28

Emma and Emily are lovely, but Emmaleigh is dreadful.

heidihole Thu 01-Aug-13 17:11:12

Emmaleigh? Are you just trying to get a rise out of us! That's terrible and I'm sure you know it is smile

lrdavis Thu 01-Aug-13 20:57:52

All the Emily's I know I don't like I live in Illinois and there are a lot of Emma's under ten. I don't want something normal or something everyone else has... my boy name is rian. Like Ryan my husband is a Brian so that's how we decided to do it instead of having a jr

FourGates Thu 01-Aug-13 21:07:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lrdavis Thu 01-Aug-13 21:15:42

Yes I'm american....

lrdavis Thu 01-Aug-13 21:17:09

Heidihole I like Emmaleigh I'm not messing with anyone

lljkk Thu 01-Aug-13 21:20:51

ah, geographic context different.
Emma is rather rare over here for under 20s.
Emily is a dime a dozen over here among the under... 7s?
Look, MN is very conservative in name tastes and the most conventional spelling is usually favoured here. You live in a culture where it won't get frowned upon so much so do as you like.
Me, I am lazy and don't want my children to be burdened with having to explain how to spell their name all their lives. So my kids have the most boring names I could think of.

ps: irony is I myself have a common name with a bizarre spelling I chose, being as I'm American I got away with it. DH's name is even more boring than mine (regular spelling).

SuddenlySqueamish Thu 01-Aug-13 21:23:46

If you look on Dark Greener you'll see it is going down in popularity names.darkgreener.com/#emma

formicadinosaur Thu 01-Aug-13 21:35:02

Emily and Emma are classic and timeless. I only know one Emma and Emily both in their 30s. Lovely name.

Emmaleigh is plain awful. I'd expect an emmaleigh to be quite rough sorry.

What about Emme, Emmy, Emmeline or emerald,

formicadinosaur Thu 01-Aug-13 21:36:39

There's also Hannah

Bowlersarm Thu 01-Aug-13 21:39:11

I think if you're American OP the same rules don't apply.

In that case Emmaleigh is fine, and she can drop the 'Leigh' bit when she's older, if she wants (or if she comes to live in Britain wink)

lrdavis Thu 01-Aug-13 21:42:15

Hannah.... I didn't realize the big difference in spelling of names being odd in other places but except able in america

petalpower Thu 01-Aug-13 21:46:10

DD aged 11 is Emma. I love the name! I know lots of Emilys under the age of 11 but no other Emmas. Lots of my friends (aged 40ish!) are called Emma though.

happyfrogger Thu 01-Aug-13 21:54:14

I have a 1yo Emma - love it! Everyone loves it. Don't know any others.

Monkeyandanimal Fri 02-Aug-13 12:20:17

I would pronouce Emmaleigh as Emma-leigh; which sounds quite dallas-trailer-trashy; she will always be correcting people either on the pronunciation or the spelling if you do this! Emily lovely and Emma is really nice. I think more common among 30 and 40 year olds than in children now.

Monkeyandanimal Fri 02-Aug-13 12:22:16

I would pronouce Emmaleigh as Emma-leigh; which sounds quite dallas-trailer-trashy; she will always be correcting people either on the pronunciation or the spelling if you do this! Emily lovely and Emma is really nice. I think more common among 30 and 40 year olds than in children now.

minesamalbec Fri 02-Aug-13 12:36:36

Emma is a beautiful, classic name. I think Emily is probably more popular right now in the UK. However, I wouldn't spell it Emmaleigh, you'll spend her childhood correctly the spelling to others and she'll spend her adulthood doing the same and you'll never find a pencil,pencil case or cup with her name on it.

EatYourCrusts Fri 02-Aug-13 12:42:01

His about Aymarly?

EatYourCrusts Fri 02-Aug-13 12:44:37

Actually, if I had to write Emmaleigh every time I signed a Christmas card, my entire life, instead of Emily, I expect I would be very resentful by the age of 17. Those microseconds add up.

Supertrooper88 Sat 03-Aug-13 10:03:15

Variations of Emma:

Emmaline
Emmalyn
Emmie
Emelia
Emerald
Emilie

Also:
Amelia
Amalie

Possibly:
Jemma/Gemma
Hannah
Ella

nobabe Wed 07-Aug-13 05:56:29

I think that it is odd... but I understand you not wanting a popular spelling. Its kinds pretty long but it looks pretty when you write it down smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now