Genevieve too out there?

(36 Posts)
Tweediewalker Mon 29-Jul-13 22:25:19

My husband and I are talking baby names and I love love love genevieve. My husband is not sure, he thinks it sounds made up :-s
When I showed him it has been used in the uk since the 19th century, he said he doesn't think other people will like it. :-(
He is t to keen on the nickname gen, is it too far to give her the nickname eve?
Please help us! X

Bowlersarm Mon 29-Jul-13 22:27:27

We know a 10 year old Genevieve. She is always called Gee. I think Eve would be fine.

ThoraNomiki Mon 29-Jul-13 22:27:46

Ginny is a cute nickname for Genevieve

hothereinnit Mon 29-Jul-13 22:28:25

It's a fairly normal name to me.

Unusual, and uncommon, but not at all 'out there'

Mind you, I was at school with a girl called Genevieve, so maybe that's why.

I also like Geraldine.

I can't see why you couldn't/wouldn't shorten Genevieve to Eve, either (although I think it is too pretty to shorten smile)

Littleredflowers Mon 29-Jul-13 22:28:26

I know a lovely little Genevieve. It is a beautiful name with lots of potential for shortening to nicknames. She is often called Jenny. IMO I prefer the full name as I think it is stunning.

Tweediewalker Mon 29-Jul-13 22:31:21

I prefer the full name too, I just keep seeing her wedding invitations genevieve rose Auty, smitten lol!

SelectAUserName Mon 29-Jul-13 22:36:42

It's a gorgeous name, one of my all-time favourites. Go for it, OP! grin

aufaniae Mon 29-Jul-13 22:38:00

Lovely name, no it doesn't sound made up!

Vijac Mon 29-Jul-13 22:40:53

Totally normal name. I knew one once and her name wasn't shortened (we were only about 7 at the time thought!).

5madthings Mon 29-Jul-13 22:42:01

I love Genevieve as well but I think it will get shortened to gen/Jen jenny which I don't like. We almost used it for our dd, I like the shortening Ginny and Vivi but once they get older you don't get to choose the shortenings/nicknames used.

If you are happy with all the nickname possibilities then go for it, its a lovely name smile

ByTheSea Mon 29-Jul-13 22:43:50

I have one. smile

Sunnysummer Mon 29-Jul-13 22:49:19

It's lovely, and we know two, so I've always thought that it's on the good side of unusual - recognisable but uncommon!

The only downside is that as 5madthings said, Gen is the natural nickname and is a bit less interesting.

A god friend of mine is Genevieve, her nn is Eva (pronounced Ava rather than Eeva)

WeAreEternal Tue 30-Jul-13 10:45:46

My SIL is called Genevieve, she is half French, most people call her Genni (as in Jenny).

It's a lovely name I don't like it shortened though I prefer it as a full name.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 30-Jul-13 10:55:47

I love it.

And actually, I think Jenny is pretty

iseenodust Tue 30-Jul-13 10:59:31

Like it. Way better than Geraldine.

amessagetoyouYoni Tue 30-Jul-13 11:02:01

I would not think this was a strange or 'made up' name. Its a classic, to my ears. I really like it.

ThisIsYourSong Tue 30-Jul-13 11:06:44

I love it but it will get shortened. Sounds like your DH is the one who needs to be convinced though

88keys Tue 30-Jul-13 11:33:27

It's a beautiful name. I know a Genevieve who's called Evie for short, which is pretty.

Christelle2207 Wed 31-Jul-13 09:05:53

Pleased to have found this. Genevieve is on our list too, but more likely as middle name.

mintyneb Wed 31-Jul-13 09:09:26

Beautiful name, friends teenage daughter has always gone by the nn Evie

KnittedWaffle Wed 31-Jul-13 09:16:59

I love it.
Plenty of nickname potential (although I would insist on the full name). If changed my name it would be to Genevieve!

No. You can't have it. I desperately wanted it fir DD2 but DH vetoed. So now no-one js allowed it. So there. grin

Keztrel Wed 31-Jul-13 11:27:08

I've loved that name since I was about 5! I especially like the French pronunciation, but obv that would only work in France/if you were French! I like all the nicknames that come from it too. Eve, Evie, Gen, Genny, Ginny...

GoodMorningMoon Wed 31-Jul-13 12:18:02

I met a baby girl last week named Genevieve nn Evie. She was adorable, and I kept the name in my head as a new favourite wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now