Elizabeth Joan

(38 Posts)
extracrunchy Sat 27-Jul-13 22:52:53

So it's going to be a girl!

The only name DH and I can agree on is Elizabeth (traditional and easily shortened to something quirkier - any ideas as an aside??) and we'd like to commemorate DF's mother with Joan as a middle name. I was pretty happy till I floated it with my sister who was thoroughly scathing and now I'm having doubts...

What do you think??

MsJupiterJones Sun 28-Jul-13 10:11:19

I think Joan is really cool. It's a great name with a good family association. Ignore everyone else smile

Teds77 Sun 28-Jul-13 10:12:58

Elizabeth Joan is lovely. It's lovely to have a middle name with meaning (my two have family names). As you're rocking old lady chic with Joan I'd suggest Betty as a nn grin tis super cute.

EatYourCrusts Sun 28-Jul-13 10:41:05

Betty Joan is very Mad Men though Teds!

extracrunchy Sun 28-Jul-13 11:24:32

Oh yeah it is!! Kind of in a good way. Seems like Joan is a bit of a Marmite phenomenon!

rosyryan Sun 28-Jul-13 11:31:24

I love it! Joan is super cool (and just happens to be my DD's middle name grin )

TeaAndCakeOrDeath Sun 28-Jul-13 11:34:19

As a Joni Mitchell fan, I love the name Joan but DP wouldnt let me have it...and we have 2 DSs anyway!

FreedomOfTheTess Sun 28-Jul-13 11:37:04

I think it's stunningly beautiful.

Elizabeth Joan is gorgeous.

Ignore the naysayers.

Joan would really stand out as a middle name, amongst all the girls being born with the middle names Rose, Lily, Jade, May/Mae, Faith etc. Every time I see a girl called <something> Rose, I think 'BORING', next please.

Bue Sun 28-Jul-13 19:30:08

Well Lois is popular again which means that Joan can't be far behind. I like it.

Jamdoughnutfiend Sun 28-Jul-13 19:32:14

I have an Elizabeth Linda (middle name after MIL) - I say go for it! The cool names of 2013 will the Hilda and Mildred's in 40 years!

LoganMummy Sun 28-Jul-13 19:36:16

I think Elizabeth Joan is lovely! I like Beth as a nn. Agree Joni is a nice version, but to me a middle name (used after family members) shouldn't be altered.

Visionsofj0hanna Sun 28-Jul-13 20:33:32

Great name! Joan is v cool!

OOh Elizabeth Joan is on my list if dc2 turns out to be a dd! Our dc would be Betty for short. All the oldest females in my family are Elizabeth and Joan is GMIL name who we would like to remember.

I think Joanie would totally rock too.

mewkins Sun 28-Jul-13 22:54:28

Yes love it! Have an Elizabeth - nn Lizzie, but like Beth, Bess, libby and Effie etc
I really like Joan! If you want to soften it you could ass in another middle name perhaps? Is there another family name that would go? Eg. Elizabeth Joan Louise etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now