Husband really wants....

(97 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 21:27:57

We only got our BFP 7 days ago (first baby) but we have casually been discussing baby names for the last year grin

He has always really like Elise (pronounced e-lease) and I always vetoed it but now he is coming up with names like Chloe and Zoe and I think they sound a bit plain.

We recently decided if we had a girl, its middle name would be my mom's name and because of this, Elise is actually growing on me now as the baby would be called Elise Caroline which I think sounds quite nice.

However, her initials would be ECW - which reminds me too much of EWCM, grin

Any thoughts??

Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 22:51:37

grin - we just got lost in translation then smile

Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 22:52:43

I'm off to bed now but I just know I'm going to spend hours tossing and turning, obsessing about the 50 different ways of saying Elise grin

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 27-Jul-13 22:56:05

Haha!

You should go with it! smile

MrsGSR Sat 27-Jul-13 23:43:34

I have a friend who pronounces it eh-lise. She spells it Elyse, but I've never heard anyone pronounce it with an ay at the start.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 27-Jul-13 23:44:24

OP how do you feel about Elysia?

ChippingInHopHopHop Sun 28-Jul-13 00:02:59

You have a long time to go before you need to make decision, I would just let it go for a bit, see what you stumble across before heshe gets here smile

WafflyVersatile Sun 28-Jul-13 00:06:58

If you want to pronounce it Ehlease then that is how it is pronounced. Also most people will anyway.

Chloe and Zoe are not at all plain though. Both very pretty light airy names.

DuchessFanny Sun 28-Jul-13 00:22:15

Love Eliza ! If that's an option, and you seem to like that a lot, put it to your DH and see if that would work for both if you ?
Might need to start working on that boy name too, just in case !!!

Admiraltea Sun 28-Jul-13 00:23:34

Louise is not pronounced at the end to rhyme with lease. Neither should Elise.
How about Alice as having all the soft sounds and is said to be an English name (though maybe also french/german in origin)

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 28-Jul-13 00:35:44

Admiral

But Louise is the feminine form of Louis (Loo-ee) so is said Loo-eeze.

Not really the same as Elise.

freelancegirl Sun 28-Jul-13 00:42:13

Are you American, Writer? Just thought you might be as you wrote 'mom' instead of mum and maybe that's the difference in pronunciation. I know a grown up Elise and she is Eh Leez. But I love Eliza like has been mentioned.

squoosh Sun 28-Jul-13 03:07:15

This is how all the Elise's I've ever known have pronounced their name (except without the American accent).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf6-G_kuWwU

If you're English you're not going to pronounce a French name just as the French do as you don't have the same accent. When names travel they change. Irish names are popular in the UK at the moment but are often pronounce differently than they are in Ireland.

squoosh Sun 28-Jul-13 03:09:29

p.s Have no clue what EWCM stands for.

BalloonSlayer Sun 28-Jul-13 06:47:29

I would advise against Elise purely because names with the L sound in them are so so so so common popular at the moment.

It seems like just about every little girl is Eleanor, Ella, Ellie, Millie, Mollie, Lily, Alicia, Aleesha, Alisha, Elouise, Elise, or any of the countless variations I have missed. I have even seen and Elisha (girl) not pronounced like the male prophet but as Eleeesha

nooka Sun 28-Jul-13 07:06:39

squoosh, not sure about that pronounce names site, they messed mine up completely! I only know a Canadian Elise, and she is eh-leas-ah.

Eliza Caroline sounds great smile

harrietspy Sun 28-Jul-13 07:11:03

I know two Elises and they both pronounce it the way you've described. I think it's lovely.

(freelancegirl "mom" is also a West Midlands thing).

ilovemykids5 Sun 28-Jul-13 08:34:49

My daughter is Elise (eh-lease) its a lovely name.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 28-Jul-13 09:15:20

Freelance and harriet - my mom was bought up in Birmingham and so she has always called her mom, 'mom' so I I grew up thinking 'mom' was the norm smile

I get so many people saying to me, "Why are you speaking American?" grin

My sister has got two children and they both call her 'mom' too grin

I'm pretty sure my children will call me mom smile

And thanks everyone for your continued thoughts.
I'm not really feeling Elysia - I don't know why though.
Still liking Eliza this morning smile

freelancegirl Sun 28-Jul-13 09:51:04

Ahh I feel like I've learned something. Eliza is indeed lovely, as is Elise.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 28-Jul-13 09:54:04

I haven't told my mom that we'd have her name as a middle name - she'd pretend to be nonchalant about it but would be secretly touched. There are lots of Caroline's going back through our family tree so it will be nice to carry on that tradition.

I'm kind of hoping we don't have a boy as my DH's dad's name is John and I don't want to have a son with John as his middle name smile

EstelleGetty Sun 28-Jul-13 10:07:38

I had no idea saying 'mom' was a Midlands thing, that's fascinating!

What do you think of Alida (pronounced Ah-leeda), Writer. It's Italian in origin, I think, but I have an English friend with that name and it really suits her. She's named after the actress Alida Valli.

NoComet Sun 28-Jul-13 10:08:22

I think Elise Caroline is lovely. I'd pronounce it the way you do.

My only warning is it may get confused with Ellie, we have loads of older Ellie and Ella's and younger Evie's round her. I don't know if this extends to babies.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 28-Jul-13 10:13:30

My hubby wants to spell it Elyse.... [hmmm]

I think if it is spelt like that people won't pronounce it they way we want them to. I think they will say Ee-lyz ??? [hmmm]

I think Elise looks nicer - I also wonder if as a nickname she'd be called 'Lissy' - which I actually really like too smile

DH shook his head at Eliza sad

Dackyduddles Sun 28-Jul-13 10:24:00

Christ on a bike if a bit French is putting you off how you going to choose a name? Most names come from places other than England!

Hebrew
Spain
Etc etc

Even Caroline isn't English

Writerwannabe83 Sun 28-Jul-13 10:28:44

Like I said, I don't mind at all that the name is of French origin, I just don't want it to sound French, i.e said with a French accent smile

I'm pretty sure my own name is of French origin smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now