Husband really wants....

(97 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 21:27:57

We only got our BFP 7 days ago (first baby) but we have casually been discussing baby names for the last year grin

He has always really like Elise (pronounced e-lease) and I always vetoed it but now he is coming up with names like Chloe and Zoe and I think they sound a bit plain.

We recently decided if we had a girl, its middle name would be my mom's name and because of this, Elise is actually growing on me now as the baby would be called Elise Caroline which I think sounds quite nice.

However, her initials would be ECW - which reminds me too much of EWCM, grin

Any thoughts??

Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 22:20:32

I went through a phase of liking Diana actually - DH said a definite no to that though!!! I also liked Olivia.

Hubby likes Jasmine - but pronounced Yaz-min.... [hmmm]

Onyabike Sat 27-Jul-13 22:20:37

I think it's a bit odd to be put off a name you like because of its origin!!?Being of French origin hasn't held back the international love of the name Sophie for instance!

ChippingInHopHopHop Sat 27-Jul-13 22:21:09

I know two girls called Elise. Both are pronounced the way you/your DH says/likes.

Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 22:22:00

I think it's more because people are implying it should be pronounced with a French accent, as opposed to it actually being of French origin.

If that makes sense??

CoteDAzur Sat 27-Jul-13 22:22:24

Sorry but we have all been saying the same thing, except one person who knows of a girl whose name is mispronounced like you want your DD's to be.

Don't set up your child for a lifetime of "Pronounced Eeelise, not Elise" and "My name isn't spelled Eeelise, it's spelled Elise. Yes, I know that's not how Elise is pronounced."

ChippingInHopHopHop Sat 27-Jul-13 22:23:10

If he likes Yasmin, why not call her Yasmin smile (rather than Jasmine said incorrectly??)

I agree with him about Diana! Bleurgh.

Olivia is my pick from your suggestions so far smile but only if you are up for a Livvy.

Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 22:24:11

Are you French?

CoteDAzur Sat 27-Jul-13 22:24:35

Yasmin is also a name. So is Yasemin.

If that is the name you like, maybe don't write it with a J?

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 27-Jul-13 22:24:46

I think Jasmin pronounced Yasmin might actually just be Yasmin.

As in Yasmin Le Bon.

CoteDAzur Sat 27-Jul-13 22:25:12

No, I'm not French.

Would that matter for you?

Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 22:25:29

I don't mind Livvy actually smile

I'm not feeling Yasmine quite yet - I don't know why though because it is a beautiful name. Maybe he is hoping it will grow on me smile

Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 22:26:34

No, I was only asking because of your username smile

UnrequitedSkink Sat 27-Jul-13 22:27:00

I know a little girl call Elise, the way you want to pronounce it, and no one bats an eyelid. Really pretty name.

Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 22:27:51

I do prefer Yasmin to Jasmine smile
I might put that to him smile

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 27-Jul-13 22:28:44

Op Olivia is lovely.

Any other names you like? You don't seem keen on the names your DH is suggesting.

Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 22:29:06

Thanks unrequited - it really is the fore-runner at the moment smile

Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 22:31:21

It is strange really that I don't seem to have the 'naming streak' in me that I thought I would have. I seem to just be letting my hubby say what he likes and then I either agree or disagree smile

My dad named both me and my sister as my mom said she wasn't that bothered what we were called - maybe that's where I get it from grin

loopydoo Sat 27-Jul-13 22:32:41

The French Elise is pronounced eh-leeze.

I know this as I speak French and my French friend's DD is called it and my friend tells people when then don't pronounce it correctly.

SanityClause Sat 27-Jul-13 22:34:13

Betcha it's a boy. wink

zipzap Sat 27-Jul-13 22:38:57

How about going for Eliza? That's nice and not obviously french origins like Elise.

Or Yasira if you like Yasmin is also nice...

Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 22:40:03

But surely Elise can be pronounced in an English way too?
Afterall, there are man names that are used widely across Europe yet they are pronounced differently dependent on what country the people are living in.

Sanity - I hope it's not a boy, we haven't got a single idea for a boy's name, grin grin

Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 22:40:54

zipzap - I do like Eliza, very much actually grin

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 27-Jul-13 22:42:54

writer

All the Elise's I know are British with English as a first language.

Can you describe how you're pronouncing the e part of the name

The ones I know say it like the e in egg so eh

Are you saying e like the e in lease which is ee?

Iyswim?

Writerwannabe83 Sat 27-Jul-13 22:44:34

I would say it like the 'e' in egg smile

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 27-Jul-13 22:50:42

I don't think you're wanting to say it "wrong" then.

Judging by the people I know called it and what others have said here.

It's more our writing of the "eh" sound differed. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now