Boy name help please.............. .

(48 Posts)
Mandos1 Fri 26-Jul-13 23:12:49

Recently found out I'm pregnant, and I'm obsessed with finding a boy name and tbh I have been sort of looking since I had my 2yo DS.

I spent so much time stressing over boys names in the last pregnancy and of course he turned out to be a boy, so we settled for a name we liked but didn't love, but we love it now as he has grown into it.

So I want to get on the ball now. I find boys names really hard, but added to that OH likes conventional normal names, think Thomas, Patrick & Daniel. Which are actually quite popular here.

I like unusual (in Northern Ireland) but not unheard of or made up names. Names I like but don't love are:
Oscar
Rhys
Lucas
Cole
Finlay
Oisin (my least favourite)

OH only likes Oisin, we're Irish so to him it's a normal common name.

I've found myself wishing it's a girl so we don't have to go through the stress again.

Btw Girls names are
Georgia
Charlotte
(We both love these)

Please give me some options, bearing in mind it can't be anything too whacky, but just something ever so slightly different.

Of your original choices I like Oscar best, and also Lucas and Finn.
I have taught three Reece's who have been handfuls so that puts me off Rhys a bit (though it is a different spelling). I prefer Jonah.

I love both of your girls names, they are both on our list too!

Awww, that's lovely. I have 2 boys and it's great. Girls are a bit of a mystery to me, but I am sure they are great too. After all, I used to be one grin

Mandos1 Wed 31-Jul-13 07:52:19

They're my first choices too soon not really sure why we have second choices, as I don't think there is much chance of a Rhys or Charlotte. Maybe if we have a third we will use them.

I'm so excited either way now, was hoping more for a girl as we had a name we both loved and I knew a boy name would cause headache but don't care what we have now!! grin

Lovely options smile Are you waiting until baby makes an appearance to choose then?

Jonah or Georgia would be my first choices smile

Mandos1 Tue 30-Jul-13 23:04:53

A little update, DH has told me tonight he's comes round to Jonah!! shock and Rhys!

So the choices are

Jonah Michael/ Michael (Mee-hall)
Rhys Michael

Georgia May
Charlotte Eve

Mandos1 Sun 28-Jul-13 18:00:31

Like Finlay but OH doesn't think it's a real first name. Conan far too silimlar to DS's name and liked Connell but our fiends recently named their baby that's. aarrgghh there's always something!

howcomes Sun 28-Jul-13 03:39:23

Con was supposed to read Conan!

howcomes Sun 28-Jul-13 03:38:37

Ethan
Jacob
Con
Harrison
Finlay
Ryan
Connell

squeak2392 Sun 28-Jul-13 03:02:49

I like Oscar, Rhys and Finlay from your list.

I'm not the person to ask about unusual boys names (it's not that I have a preference to unusual or not, I just like very few boys names in general :/ ) but the more unusual ones (for me) on my list are:

Jeremy
Tristan

Beckie222 Sat 27-Jul-13 00:47:21

Jude

MrsFrederickWentworth Sat 27-Jul-13 00:35:09

David
Joel
Joshua

Again you can use Joe as the shorter form.

Jonathan

I know you said not Irish but I have a lovely friend called Feidhlimidh, which I think is gorgeous.
And of course Liam.

Hector
Hadrian
Herbert

Inigo
Iago
Jago
Jacob

Last three nn is Jack.

Louis
Leslie
Lawrence/Laurie

Miles/milo
Melvin
Micah

Nathan
Nahum

Seth
Sacha/Sandy/xan ( nn for Alexander)
Sebastian
Samuel

Tristram/Tristan
Torquil
Tam
Anthony/Antony
Toby/Tobias

Some of these he might hate so much you could get another one agreed more easily!

Congrats, btw.

good - it's a nice name and Oh can quite happily talk about his Joe (nice and normal) while you have your beautiful slightly unusual Jonah - I wanted Joe/Joseph (didn't think about Jonah at the time and it was pre internet really) but wasn't allowed it as it was the name of OHs uncle whom his parents didn't get on with so it would have caused ructions sad )

Mandos1 Sat 27-Jul-13 00:21:24

Thanks for your help soon you've definitely given me something to think about with Jonah!!

righto - i'm giving up for the night - i'm just randomly plucking stuff out the air now and it's not going well..... grin

Frederick/Freddie
Malcolm
Edgar

bridgetsmum Sat 27-Jul-13 00:14:24

Leon

Zachary/Zack

Noah
Eli
Saul
Seth

Alastair?

Ha you are allowed to be. My first didn't have a name for 3 days and my second was a week and a half grin

Mandos1 Sat 27-Jul-13 00:09:30

Like Oliver but v common here. I'm a nightmare aren't I??

Mandos1 Sat 27-Jul-13 00:08:50

Nope not doing it for me I'm afraid soon I'm still thinking of Jonah though, so I think u may have sparked something!! hmm

Oliver
Martin
Grant
Douglas

Ooh this is hard smile

Gavin
Andrew
Josh
Jake
Alfred

Blair
Ross
Gareth
Callum
Aaron

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now