Twin sister for Alexander Michael

(47 Posts)
Cornwall73 Thu 25-Jul-13 12:35:07

Following several losses over the past seven years we have always had our hearts set on Alexander for a boy. I was lucky enough to be blessed with twins and have a section booked for three weeks today, we are expecting a boy and a girl. We had pretty much decided on Claudia (no problem with the meaning and like the connection to classical history) but all of a sudden having a wobble about it and have gone back to the list.

We have a single syllable surname starting with S so prefer long names which so not end in s or soft c. My background is Spanish/Italian and we like classic English names or Spanish/Italian and nothing short and girly. I like Isabella and Florence but live in London and hear that they are very popular!

I would welcome your thoughts on our list below especially if there are any I have not thought off but would fit in. Please be gentle, it has taken many of years of heartache to get this far smile

Caterina
Christina
Claudia
Daniella
Elisabetta
Francesca
Gabriella
Giovanna
Juliet
Lucia
Matilda
Paloma
Rebecca
Valentina
Violet

formicadinosaur Thu 25-Jul-13 19:17:58

Celeste?

Coconutty Thu 25-Jul-13 19:19:28

Cara Jean sounds nice with Alexander.

ZolaBuddleia Thu 25-Jul-13 19:23:33

Congrats, bet you can't wait to have them here!

My favourites are:
Claudia
Juliet
Paloma

Particularly love Paloma.

Jenijena Thu 25-Jul-13 19:29:07

Congratulations, they are beautiful names.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Thu 25-Jul-13 19:30:28

I'm surprised no one has suggested names starting with P and M, then you'd have AM and PM.

They're all lovely and whatever you decide on will be eminently suitable 😊

baskingseals Thu 25-Jul-13 19:35:29

I love love Valentina. My second favourite is Lucia. Many congratulations.

flamingtoaster Thu 25-Jul-13 19:36:14

What about Alexander and Alana (various ways of spelling it and different meanings in different countries: http://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/alana)

Lucia, Francesca and Juliet are my favourites from your list.

Cornwall73 Thu 25-Jul-13 19:40:12

Thank you for your congratulations, I know how lucky we are to be able to have children let alone twins. This name thing is such a huge responsibility though!

Thank you all for your views, i am fully aware that our name choices are not for everyone, and the new suggestions too. I will add Madeline to the list. Out of the others we are trying to avoid names starting with A as we don't want the the babies to have the same first initials. Also, no names with soft c, th or s because of our surname (starting with s) or you end up with a mouthful of ssss sounds! You have also got an uncanny knack for suggesting names already used by family and friends! smile.

I love Rebecca but hate Becky!

Those of you with Lucias are they the Italian lu-ch-ia or the Spanish soft c? I like the former again because of the surname. But am I setting myself up for having to correct pronunciation for ever?

I am not Spanish but my maternal great, great GPs were Italian and Spanish on the paternal side. I was brought up in mainland Europe but with a very very Anglo Saxon 70s name and a Spanish maiden surname. It seems to work well.

I was wondering when someone would spot the West Wing connection grin. Huge WW fans here and it is a coincidence that MIL's name fits so well with Claudia regarding our favourite character. It is still up there on the list with Francesca, I love this name! The 'it' couple in the village where I grew up had a daughter called this and I used to think it was soooooo glamourous.

Lots to ponder so Ill write up the list and put it up on the fridge. Thank you so much for your help smile.

znaika Thu 25-Jul-13 19:40:19

Natalia goes with Alexander- Alexander Pushkin and Natalia Goncharova!

TheAwfulDaughter Thu 25-Jul-13 19:41:49

Alexander Michael and Paloma Jean Otilia
Alexander Michael and Giovanna Jean Otilia
Alexander Michael and Francesca Jean Otilia
Alexander Michael and Elisabeth Jean Otilia
Alexander Michael and Aurelia Jean Otilia
Alexander Michael and Marina Jean Otilia
Alexander Michael and Luciana Jean Otilia

znaika Thu 25-Jul-13 19:42:27

Natalia short to Natasha!

lotsofcheese Thu 25-Jul-13 19:50:10

What about Sofia? Or Julia? Lucia is beautiful too. Congratulations on your twins, it sounds like you have been through a lot to have them.

signorapacino Thu 25-Jul-13 19:55:21

Oh lord your list reads just as mine did. I love all those names so I'm going to be no help whatsoever!!! Claudia is one of my favourite names but I'm leaning more towards Francesca as I think it goes so well with Alexander. Tho seriously any name on there is a winner with me. I'm sorry for all your heartache and I'm delighted your having your twins. Good luck. X

FetaCheeny Thu 25-Jul-13 20:04:18

Congratulations! I think you've got some great names in this list. I'll be honest though, the meaning of the name Claudia really puts me off, and I much prefer others in your list:

Caterina - love this, very elegant and underused
Christina - bit dated for me
Claudia - dislike for above reason
Daniella - nice
Elisabetta - Never met one, but is lovely, and great nn potential
Francesca - LOVE and goes lovely with Alexander
Gabriella - lovely
Giovanna - not sure about this
Juliet - beautiful
Lucia - not keen, your other names are more exciting
Matilda - dislike
Paloma - dislike, just think Faith
Rebecca - bit dated for me
Valentina - lovely, but it's a big name for a little girl (not sure why I think this)
Violet - pretty but prefer the others

My favourites are:
Caterina
Francesca
Gabriella
Elisabetta
Juliet

Theadora? Arabella?
Good luck!

Wbdn28 Thu 25-Jul-13 22:41:33

I like these:

Christina
Francesca
Juliet
Lucia
Paloma
Rebecca
Violet

Christina Violet
Paloma Juliet
Lucia Rebecca
Violet Christina
Francesca Violet
Rebecca Juliet
Juliet Francesca

Meatyfeet Thu 25-Jul-13 22:52:33

My opinion is very biased as I have twins called Alexander and Francesca grin grin grin.

However, I love Claudia too.

Congratulations!

Snazzyenjoyingsummer Fri 26-Jul-13 00:27:01

Claudia is lovely, so is Francesca! I also like Rebecca, Lucia and Juliet from the list.

Congratulations, some lovely names, if it was me I think I would go for Gabrielle (rather than Gabriella).

Athough having thought about it, Alex and Ella sound lovely together - ignore me smile

mrssprout Fri 26-Jul-13 11:28:38

I love Violet & Gabriella on your list......& congratulations smile

orangepudding Fri 26-Jul-13 11:43:51

Alexander and Francesca go really well together.

I love Francesca Violet.

mrsden Fri 26-Jul-13 11:54:36

I like all of the names on your list with the exception of Daniella (knew one and she was awful), not so keen on Paloma and violet reminds me of the child who bursts in Charlie and the chocolate factory. It's quite a harsh sounding name and I always think of violent when I hear it. Lucia with the Italian pronounciation is my favourite on your list.

ch1134 Fri 26-Jul-13 16:12:55

Christina... I also like Lucia and Claudia third

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now