Harris for a boy?

(57 Posts)
harverina Thu 25-Jul-13 11:06:53

Hello grin

I am 25 weeks pregnant so plenty of time to decide about names. Don't know the sex of the baby either but dh is a nightmare to pin down about names so I need to start early!

I previously put a thread on asking opinions on Archie. It had mixed opinions, though pretty positive. The more I say Archie the more undecided I am about it!

So dh had suggested Harris. I like Harry but we wanted a name with some Scottish link as we are Scottish. Dd is called Eilidh.

So, what do you guys think about Harris?

Is it really a surname?

Thanks on advance grin

harverina Mon 29-Jul-13 23:22:06

Tab it's ok! I didn't think you were grin Eilidh often gets called Ellie by my English relatives. The spelling throws people! Poor girl has a rubbish surname to spell too!

Harris and Eilidh, Brodie and Eilidh, Archie and Eilidh. Mmmm not sure!

makingdoo Mon 29-Jul-13 22:43:26

That makes sense now thanks! It's very pretty.
I think it was my Irish accent stopping me picking it up.

Still love Harris grin

tabulahrasa Mon 29-Jul-13 22:38:55

Ha - that made it look like I was correcting your DD's name, lol...I meant I'm not sure if it's sn accent difference or just a difference in trying to write it phonetically.

Now I've seen your next post and yes that's how I'd say it too.

harverina Mon 29-Jul-13 22:35:54

Dh has just commented that it would have been easier for me to say its like Hayley but without the H!

Yeah I like Lewis too, however, my cousins little boy is called Lewis and he lives around the corner and will go to the same school. Otherwise I think I would have seriously considered Lewis.

makingdoo Mon 29-Jul-13 22:30:41

harverina thanks for that. Been trying to say it all evening but think I'm being a bit thick!
I keep saying elly / Ellie but that's not right is it!

Sorry didn't mean to hijack!

tabulahrasa Mon 29-Jul-13 22:30:24

It might be an accent thing but eilidh is more ailly when I say it.

I like Harris, like Lewis but not as common. I know loads of Lewises, but only one Harris.

harverina Mon 29-Jul-13 22:19:43

Sorry it was makingdo who asked how to pronounce Eilidh....baby brain!!!

harverina Mon 29-Jul-13 22:18:47

Outrage it is pronounced ailay (does that make sense?!)

I

nj13 Mon 29-Jul-13 20:41:03

I like Harris! I live in Scotland too so does not sound strange to me plus my son is called Lennox! I get lots of compliments on it but then again it isn't to everyone's taste! and as you know you cant please everyone smile
good luck x

outragedofsuburbia Mon 29-Jul-13 16:39:00

Its ok as long as he doesn't move to London. It really is used a lot to mean bum.

makingdoo Mon 29-Jul-13 16:36:43

Can I ask how you pronounce your DDs name OP?

I like Harris. Just added it to my fictional baby name list!

harverina Mon 29-Jul-13 10:36:47

Thanks jolly, just noticed that this morning - that actually reassures me a bit! I was just looking at the uk list initially.

I think it's a definitely maybe, along with Brodie and Archie gringringrin

Gregor is lovely too and would go nicely with Eilidh.

JollyHolidayGiant Mon 29-Jul-13 07:40:17

Harverina... It IS on the popular names list. It was 29th in Scotland in 2012. In fact it was the biggest climber up the list in 2012.

Link to the Scottish registry office 2012 tables:

www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/statistics/theme/vital-events/births/popular-names/babies-first-names-2012/detailed-tables.html

Nope, it's not strange. It's easy to spell, sounds they way it's spelled, is the other half of Lewis. I'd view it as slightly off the beaten track but normal and easy to live with. It's not in the Farquar/Montgomery league, but then it's not Kyle or Jordan either.

I'd put it in the same bracket as Fraser, Blair, Craig, Kerr, Innes etc if that helps. I wouldn't be surprised by a Lawyer, Plumber or Sportsman called Harris. That may just be me though grin

harverina Sun 28-Jul-13 23:48:48

Ok that's helpful - it's not on the popular names list, and although this is positive, it makes me worry that it is too strange and that people will think wtf?!

In Scotland I would say it's neither tbh. I know 2 Harris' , one is quite posh and has a brother called D uncan and the other is "normal" and has a brother L ogan. So I would see it as a name that would fit in anywhere as a lot of Scottish name are.

harverina Sun 28-Jul-13 22:52:58

Thanks smile Is it a trendy name or traditional? Don't think that dh and I could pull off a trendy name!

Knitella Sat 27-Jul-13 16:57:31

I'm Scottish and think it's a lovely name. Not surnamey or nicknamey to my ears. Goes well with your daughter's name too smile

harverina Sat 27-Jul-13 16:44:36

Oh lots of positive opinions yay! grin Thanks very much.

Really like Brodie weegiemum, not sure it goes well with my surname which also starts with B (famous baker in Glasgow). I will suggest it to my dh.

What does one of "those" names mean?!

Thanks again smile

JogOnKitty Sat 27-Jul-13 13:59:53

grin
We're from Yorkshire and it always ends up getting pronounced as 'Arris. I didnt realise it was rhyming slang for arse! Ds would find that very funny.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 27-Jul-13 13:55:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JogOnKitty Sat 27-Jul-13 13:52:50

Ooo what do you mean 'one of those names' ? hmm

MoreThanWords Sat 27-Jul-13 09:33:07

My Harrison doesn't get Harry!

weebarra Sat 27-Jul-13 09:27:59

"Those names"? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now