Harris for a boy?

(57 Posts)
harverina Thu 25-Jul-13 11:06:53

Hello grin

I am 25 weeks pregnant so plenty of time to decide about names. Don't know the sex of the baby either but dh is a nightmare to pin down about names so I need to start early!

I previously put a thread on asking opinions on Archie. It had mixed opinions, though pretty positive. The more I say Archie the more undecided I am about it!

So dh had suggested Harris. I like Harry but we wanted a name with some Scottish link as we are Scottish. Dd is called Eilidh.

So, what do you guys think about Harris?

Is it really a surname?

Thanks on advance grin

harverina Thu 25-Jul-13 11:11:25

I should add, I also started a thread asking for opinions on George, which I like, but dh wasn't so sure...anyway Kate and William stole it wink

shoobidoo Thu 25-Jul-13 11:22:18

I'm not keen, sorry. Sounds like a surname and nickname Harry is SO overused.

Love your girls name!

Panzee Thu 25-Jul-13 11:24:48

Means bum in Cockney, if that matters to you.

Leeds2 Thu 25-Jul-13 11:30:32

It is too surnamey for me.

weebarra Thu 25-Jul-13 11:30:55

I like Harris. It's not uncommon up here. Do you live in Scotland?

badtime Thu 25-Jul-13 11:32:22

No, 'Aris' is bum in Cockney (Aris[totle] - bottle [and glass] - arse).

JollyHolidayGiant Thu 25-Jul-13 11:32:48

My DS is called Harris. You'll get a lot of surnamey comments from MNers but I've found that's really not relevant in Scotland where surname names are much more mainstream. In 2012 Harris was the 29th most popular boys name in Scotland.

Littlecherublegs Thu 25-Jul-13 11:53:58

I really like Harris - and Harrison.

SelectAUserName Thu 25-Jul-13 11:57:17

So long as your surname isn't Hawk(e), it's a good name.

GaryBuseysTeeth Thu 25-Jul-13 12:00:33

Right up the 'Aris, means arse to me too.

I like Harrison...and your DD's name!

MadBusLady Thu 25-Jul-13 12:08:14

I'm not usually a fan of surnamey names but I like it. He might be Harry everywhere though because people will mishear or assume, so make sure you like that and don't mind it being popular.

FoxyRevenger Thu 25-Jul-13 12:10:50

Harris is lovely. How about also...Nairn, Fraser, Arran, Innes, I know a wee boy called Elgin too...

TigerSwallowTail Thu 25-Jul-13 12:12:45

Yes I love this name, I don't think it sounds too 'surnamey', ds plays with a Harris at school.

Rhubarbgarden Thu 25-Jul-13 13:09:10

I like it. Much nicer than Archie.

harverina Fri 26-Jul-13 14:29:07

Thanks for replying grin as soon as I started the thread I lost my signal so haven't had a chance to come back on until now (I have been away on hol).

Yes we live in Scotland.

I do like Harry too so it wouldn't bother me if that was to be his nickname. I know Harry is popular too but, again that doesn't bother me too much either as it would not be his true name iykwim.

Dh has vetoed Nairn and Innes. He has vetoed a lot actually and come up with very little sad

8thplace Fri 26-Jul-13 16:24:54

I really like Harris too ( better than Archie)

Have you considered
Gordon
Campbell
Cameron
Bruce
Robert
Andrew

JogOnKitty Fri 26-Jul-13 16:26:41

I like it but I have a Harris smile

harverina Fri 26-Jul-13 16:55:11

8thplace I'm afraid I don't like any of those names shock

harverina Fri 26-Jul-13 16:56:04

Jogonkitty - does your Harris get referred to as Harry? What have the reactions to his name been like?

JollyHolidayGiant Fri 26-Jul-13 17:58:46

One person has referred to my DS as Harry. But they shorten everyone's name. A couple of people have thought that Harris must be short for Harrison. Everyone else has been very positive and we've had lots of nice comments smile

JogOnKitty Fri 26-Jul-13 18:59:20

Reactions have been positive or asking if my family were scottish (were not.)
Never been refered to as harry more often people think its Harrison, which strangely Im not keen on.

I like Harris, I know a few smile

Other suggestions:

Torin
Keir
Cairn
Moray
Blaven
Cameron

BestIsWest Fri 26-Jul-13 21:59:19

I always thought Harris was a Welsh name. Funnily enough I had this discussion with my (Scottish) boss last week.

DuttyWine Fri 26-Jul-13 22:19:49

I never realised Harris was Scottish, where I work it's a really popular south Asian Islamic name usually spelt Haris... I've looked after many lovely Haris' and one Harrison who we called Harry.

I never even think of it as a surname either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now