Almost named our 4 day old boy - need opinions!

(131 Posts)
SlouchingPanda Thu 25-Jul-13 10:41:26

So, Junior Panda almost has a name... DH prefers one, I prefer another. It's DEADLOCK - we need your help!

1. Aubin Laurence Stephen [2 syllable surname starting with A]
2. Felix Laurence Stephen [same surname]
3. They're both hideous
4. Either is good

Stephen as you might guess is a non-negotiable family name. I won't say who prefers which but would love to hear your thoughts.

yawningbear Thu 25-Jul-13 11:06:35

Laurie Felix Stephen is Junior pandas name I think grin

pinkje Thu 25-Jul-13 11:08:01

Why not just Laurence Stephen then? More normal to have just one middle name isn't it.

yawningbear Thu 25-Jul-13 11:08:13

Am really hoping you didn't have your heart set on Aubin.

And congratulations flowers

Snowyelephantshavewrinkles Thu 25-Jul-13 11:08:15

3 sorry

Snowyelephantshavewrinkles Thu 25-Jul-13 11:09:17

congratulations btw

WhyMeWhyNot Thu 25-Jul-13 11:10:32

I have to use my initials a lot at work so always think of how they go.

AA. Roadside repairs or Alcoholics Anonymous

FA. F**k All

Something to bear in mind perhaps!

yawningbear Thu 25-Jul-13 11:13:10

LFS is fine though, more than fine, has a good ring to it even.

threefeethighandrising Thu 25-Jul-13 11:16:20

I love Aubin smile

JourneyThroughLife Thu 25-Jul-13 11:16:30

Well, I think Aubin is lovely, because it's unusual and has a nice sound to it....but then I like unusual names and called both mine very 'different' names. Better than Felix, which sounds like a cat...

I'm going against the majority - I like Aubin!

However Felix is, indeed, a cat.

Sorry

Twirlyhot Thu 25-Jul-13 11:17:00

5. Laurence Stephen

tableandsofa Thu 25-Jul-13 11:17:52

I agree with gymboy.

shoobidoo Thu 25-Jul-13 11:19:39

Aubin is a great name - classic, strong, easy to spell/pronounce and not overused - what's not to like?

Laurence is a girls name for me, the feminine form of Laurent.

Felix is a well known brand of cat food in the UK.

nemno Thu 25-Jul-13 11:25:47

Felix is better than Aubin imo but just Laurence Stephen is lovely.

Aubin is OK, but not with a surname that's also two syllables beginning with A. Unless he shows signs of being a superhero.

GherkinsAreAce Thu 25-Jul-13 11:28:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

heidihole Thu 25-Jul-13 11:29:11

Oh I'm sorry I think 3)!

Remember though its up to you, not us! Felix is just too cat like I can't get passed the association so I'd say Aubin, which I also dislike smile

VinegarDrinker Thu 25-Jul-13 11:33:52

Felix rather than Aubin - but seems very popular at the moment if that bothers you?
Laurence is nicer than either imho

You're brave posting on here, though! I posted B's name back before she was born (along with a few other options) and was universally dismissed as being totally dull and unoriginal. You can't win! grin

SJisontheway Thu 25-Jul-13 11:34:21

4. I think they are both lovely, but Felix is my favourite. Try not to take all the responses to heart. You will never get unanimous approval on mn. If you love the name, go for it. My ds's name has been described as wet on here. Didn't put me off.

WafflyVersatile Thu 25-Jul-13 11:34:29

SlouchingPanda Thu 25-Jul-13 11:36:58

Thanks for the quick opinions! Really interesting to hear some outside thoughts - things can get a bit insular when you're confined to the house learning how to cope with a newborn.

All you voting '3' to a baby blue-ridden new mum, you nest of vipers, you! wink perhaps shouldn't have given it as an option!

We do like unusual, but perhaps our first two choices are a bit too 'out there'.

Aubin really splits opinion doesn't it... in a 95% of people really hate it and the very tiny minority like it lots sort of way. It is pronounced ORR-bin, and IS a real name, honest!

I am well aware of the Felix / catfood connection but before anyone called their cat it, it was a bona-fide human name! grin

Hadn't thought of Stephen Laurence being an issue but will be careful not to have them that way round. And the initials issue hadn't escaped my notice either.

Oh it's so hard! Will think some more...!

Bowlersarm Thu 25-Jul-13 11:38:05

Felix.

squoosh Thu 25-Jul-13 11:39:29

For what it's worth I don't think Felix is 'out there' at all, I've heard of lots of newborn Felixes, it just doesn't appeal to me personally.

VinegarDrinker Thu 25-Jul-13 11:40:34

I know loads of baby Felixes, too, I certainly don't think it's 'out there'.

FeegleFion Thu 25-Jul-13 11:40:44

Congratulations!

Don't ask MN! Not everyone will like every name.

My DS is Jude and I've read quite a few comments about it being a feminine name but we love it and he's a strapping big baby boy wink

They're both lovely names, I hope you and your DH come to an agreement. He's your son, it only matters what you both think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now