Unusual but too out there boys name?

(79 Posts)
Whiteroom82 Tue 23-Jul-13 21:29:19

My husband is a huge Inspector Morse fan and I love names that are creative, unique but have a classic feel to them, so nothing too boho or of the moment. We've come up with Endeavour Valentine... Slightly worried it'll be Dev for short which makes me think of that awful bloke in Corrie!

What do you think? Too bonkers for boy?!

Whiteroom82 Tue 23-Jul-13 22:37:42

Thanks guys, I like the literary links and as waffley says, who the hell wants to be 'meh' x

Blu Tue 23-Jul-13 22:39:26

Jericho ?

I think it makes a great middle name, how about Lewis Endeavour Valentine?

WafflyVersatile Tue 23-Jul-13 22:47:06

Weren't me what said that!

I can't imagine anyone thanking you for being called Endeavour Valentine if I'm honest.

It can't be shortened except as you say to Dev.

For unusualness and out thereness but not too much I'd say Jericho.

Jericho Quinn
Jericho Shaw

saintmerryweather Tue 23-Jul-13 22:48:43

poor little bugger. if you like such a frankly stupid name, why not chamge your own name to it instead of saddling your poor baby with it

Whiteroom82 Tue 23-Jul-13 22:49:43

Thank you saint, might look into that ;-) x

Areyoumadorisitme Tue 23-Jul-13 22:57:43

Sorry but Endeavour Valentine is awful. Your son would get the Micky taken out of him for years and probably be called Dev too.

LemonPeculiarJones Tue 23-Jul-13 22:57:51

Loving how good-humoured your responses are OP!

I like both names, but the diminutives of Dev and Val do put me off everso slightly.

Whiteroom82 Tue 23-Jul-13 23:01:52

Well why take it too seriously? There will always be opinion and I gather bitchiness? I mean, I could have responded to saint with a comment about taking her opinions seriously when they can spell 'change' and start a sentence with a capital letter... But no, much more interested in changing my name by deed poll instead lol!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts x

WafflyVersatile Tue 23-Jul-13 23:07:20

What would you change your name to by deed poll do you reckon?

candyflossisevil Tue 23-Jul-13 23:09:07

Know nothing about the books etc but looking at the book titles posted I think Quinn is a good choice?

RoadToTuapeka Tue 23-Jul-13 23:11:30

Endeavour is dreadful! If I knew someone named that I doubt I could bring myself to actually use their name. It would be forever 'hi!' Not 'hi Endeavour!'

Whiteroom82 Tue 23-Jul-13 23:11:36

I'm quite happy with my name, saint suggested if I was willing to saddle a baby with such a crazy name, perhaps I should change mine to be as uncomfortable?

Chloe - in 1982... Not the most commen?! X

Whiteroom82 Tue 23-Jul-13 23:13:48

It also appears Endevour is a no... Unless I'm clinically insane or decide to at least be kind and use it as a middle name no one will know or use!

Back to drawing board... X

TheBuskersDog Tue 23-Jul-13 23:31:08

Remember Morse never told anyone his first name, too embarrassing.

Please don't listen to those suggesting Jericho.

saintmerryweather Tue 23-Jul-13 23:37:58

ah well i may not spell check or use capitals when im typing on my phone but at least i dont think Endeavour Valentine is a reasonable name to give a child.

Whiteroom82 Tue 23-Jul-13 23:50:38

This is true! X

Mutteroo Wed 24-Jul-13 00:03:26

Brave choice OP & I love it. DH is very traditional & so are our DCs names, but I would have loved something more adventurous. Suspect you'll get more negative comments about both names & I must admit I prefer the Valentine part of your choice. Endeavour is highly likely to be shortened to Dev which I hate, however, if you find another nn before little Endeavour starts school you may be OK.

lljkk Wed 24-Jul-13 00:08:51

Endeavour as middle name could work fine, though, I reckon. Just don't shorten it. Dev, Div, no, no, no...

JacqueslePeacock Wed 24-Jul-13 00:16:07

I think there is a reason Morse didn't go around telling people his first name...

So why not just Morse - sure it is better than Endeavour. Morse Smith, Morse Valentine Smith - will show everyone what your husband is a big fan of upfront, less teasing potential (I think, maybe Mouse or dots and dashes), still out there but more along the lines of Dexter, Hunter, surname type names.

lljkk Wed 24-Jul-13 07:46:29

Morse, More, Moose, no, I wouldn't do that either.
Dexter would be very trendy, though.

IWipeArses Wed 24-Jul-13 09:07:00

Proper boring cunts round here.

omri Wed 24-Jul-13 18:06:44

Well OP I have to say I am totally biased because I am a huuuge morse fan too. Watching box set again this week and have read all the books. So I think the name morse or endeavour or dexter are all great!!!! What a wonderful character to be named after smile

Onesleeptillwembley Wed 24-Jul-13 18:17:03

You'd be setting him up for a lifetime of teasing All because of a liking for a tv show.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now