Settle a debate....

(79 Posts)
AndieDisestablishment Tue 23-Jul-13 16:33:57

It's very early days but DP and I already have very clear thoughts on baby names. We agree on Flynn for a boy but are battling it out over girl's names.
He wants Luna (after his favourite Harry Potter character) and I want Arya (after my favourite Game of Thrones character). I've said I'll accept Luna as a middle name but he's being stubborn. Both names fit us as people (I am Pagan, he's a geek) and have nice meanings (Luna meaning moon and Arya meaning noble/trustworthy/air).
We already have a Logan, Rowan, Keeley and Mason (and if anyone who knows us is on here I have just outed myself, hi!) but I don't know which would be the best fit.

chattychattyboomba Thu 08-Aug-13 00:36:37

Hehem... Hello.
Arya is a lovely name. As is Aria.
My DD is Ariana and we get compliments on her name almost daily. If anyone makes the Connection about nazi's that's just silly. It is originally a Persian name and means 'silver'.
It is pronounced Uh-ri-uh-na.
Aria is Sanskrit and is a unisex name.
Arianna with 2 n's is quite obviously ah-ri-ah-na
I may be biased by I prefer the name Arya. It just sounds prettier. Luna may mean moon but our friend has a crazy cocker spaniel named Luna and quite frankly she's a lunatic.

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Tue 06-Aug-13 21:14:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

toobreathless Tue 06-Aug-13 21:07:09

LOVE Flynn too.

toobreathless Tue 06-Aug-13 21:06:34

LOVE Luna, how do you province Arya? I think I like it too but can't picture it in my mind.

I suspect we have similar criteria & my girls are Hazel (plant/reconciliation) & Celeste (heavenly)

curlew Mon 05-Aug-13 21:47:06

"I wouldn't worry about the Luna/lunatic thing either."

No, you've no need to. You're not going to have to deal with the hilarity it will cause among your little friends.......

curlew Mon 05-Aug-13 21:45:35

And you're sure your child is going to be a pagan or a geek, are you

Not sure why a GOT name would fit a pagan anyway.........

Redlocks30 Mon 05-Aug-13 21:42:31

I'm really not keen on any of those, tbh. Flynn makes me think of Disney and the other two of books/films. Sorry.

LillyNotOfTheValley Mon 05-Aug-13 21:39:25

Arya makes me think "opera" too and I would spell it the italian way, ie Aria. Beautiful name in my opinion.
Luna is nice but a bit weaker, iyswim.

I know a little Yuna (parents are Cornish), maybe it could be a compromise? Good luck!!

DebK2012 Mon 05-Aug-13 21:04:46

They are both pretty marmite names and personally I wouldn't like arya but Luna is nice to prone to slebs children

MummyPig24 Mon 29-Jul-13 20:56:25

Luna is much nicer than Arya.

rosyryan Sun 28-Jul-13 11:43:36

I think both Arya and Luna are lovely.

JoniR Sun 28-Jul-13 10:16:45

I really like both.
I wouldn't make the Arya/Arian connection as the pronunciation is different.
I wouldn't worry about the Luna/lunatic thing either.

ScumbagCollegeDropout Sun 28-Jul-13 02:42:05

Canidae I think she will more than likely be killed off wink

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 27-Jul-13 23:47:13

I think Arya has a history before the GOT (whose story I think will end badly judging by where we're at in the books). I believe it's an Indian or Hindu name originally.

I believe Aryan was also Indian or Hindu in origin before it was appropriated by Hitler.

notanyanymore Sat 27-Jul-13 23:42:55

Arya, lovely name. Lunar, not so much.

Canidae Sat 27-Jul-13 23:39:06

My concern with naming her after a GOT character is that we have no idea how the series will go. I doubt it will happen but what if Arya turns into an unlikable character?

I'd be bothered if ANYONE thought I'd named my kid after a racist movement! But hey ho, sounds like you're already convinced. Not quite sure what you were aiming to get from this thread if you're not bothered what people think tbh confused

sashh Sat 27-Jul-13 11:15:55

Luna is going to be nicknamed Loony. Arya kicks ass and sounds to me more like a piece of opera than a racial issue.

Is your dh a fan or Tron OP?

AndieDisestablishment Sat 27-Jul-13 10:36:04

Anybody who sees it written down before they've heard tge pronunciation and thinks we've named our child after a racist movement are going to be people that don't know us and therefore, we won't be bothered. When I first read it I knew how it was pronounced, if other people don't then whatever.

But it doesn't negate the 'Aryan' connotations if you see it written down first (which lots of people will), as it's spelled the same.

Wineandchoccy Fri 26-Jul-13 20:41:51

I love Luna but just to through another name into the mix I met a little girl called Avya today and thought it was lovely.

itsnothingoriginal Fri 26-Jul-13 20:34:56

I like Luna but it makes me think of my mamas and papas Luna pushchair!! I love Lyra as mentioned above.

Not sure about Arya but I think I prefer Arianna or something which sounds more 'substantial' to my ears.

Flynn is quite nice

AndieDisestablishment Fri 26-Jul-13 12:20:40

Thank you Alis for trying to help me get across the important pronunciation distinction that completely negates those "Airian" connotations!!
Thanks everyone who's been constructive too. I'll use the "own initial" point with DP and see how it goes. smile

ch1134 Fri 26-Jul-13 12:00:15

I like both... that won't help settle the debate will it?
Luna is pretty but anything referring to the moon does link to the idea of lunacy. I knew a little girl called Arya - she was Turkish and very sweet. Luna goes better with your other children's names but I think I prefer Arya.

ScumbagCollegeDropout Thu 25-Jul-13 02:39:35

I really like both of them <helpful>

Was also going to suggest Lyra.

Go with the geek, both my DCs have incredibly geeky names grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now