Aoife?

(37 Posts)
lolitabelle Mon 22-Jul-13 16:21:18

My gf and I have been talking about names recently as we start IVF (fingers and toes crossed please! smile), and stumbled across this name. I'm absolutely in love with it (we had been talking about Evelyn/Evie before, but I'm not so keen on its popularity at the moment, and this sounds similar), and she seems happy to go with whatever to keep me smiling throughout all the stress!

In terms of middle names, we were thinking Aoife Elizabeth as it is a family name from my gf's side, or Aoife Rose (personally not so keen on that one).

Any opinions? My main concern (even above the spelling!) is that neither of us have Irish roots - is it too poncy to do it without the ancestry?

Thanks!

valiumredhead Mon 22-Jul-13 16:26:38

It's lovelysmile

sydenhamhiller Mon 22-Jul-13 16:27:37

Love it!

ZolaBuddleia Mon 22-Jul-13 16:29:07

I think it's poncetastic without Irish ancestry, sorry.

It's like calling your child Blodwen if you're not Welsh.

Then again, in an increasingly multicultural UK (depending on where you live) nobody might even notice that the name is Irish, as there will be such a mix.

Mummynotmum Mon 22-Jul-13 16:30:29

Beautiful. DD's best friend is Aoife May.

lolitabelle Mon 22-Jul-13 16:32:20

ZolaBuddleia: That's what I worried about. Although, I can't imagine every Siobhan has Irish roots, nor all the Niamhs that are cropping up. I'm hoping the same can be said about Aoife in the future smile

Thanks all for the replies!

Turniptwirl Mon 22-Jul-13 17:59:23

Aoife is common enough that you won't get funny looks for not being Irish. One family I know has a Sian and siobhan inspire of being neither Irish or welsh!

Astralabe Mon 22-Jul-13 20:10:22

There are a few at the school I teach in (south west secondary) for it not to be poncey, but one or two teachers do struggle with pronounciation - she will be always correcting people going 'its ee-fa not 'ooeeifa' but not necc a reason not to if you love name!
Good luck also - all digits crossed x

FetaCheeny Mon 22-Jul-13 20:13:16

I think it needs Irish roots personally. She'll always get asked if she's Irish, could get pretty annoying. Lovely name though.

FetaCheeny Mon 22-Jul-13 20:14:06

Oh and good luck!

Openyourheart Mon 22-Jul-13 20:15:49

Lovely name. If you like it,go for it.

Babycino81 Mon 22-Jul-13 20:17:55

I have a 4 week old cousin called Aoife. Beautiful name an a fab baby, definitely use it!

joanofarchitrave Mon 22-Jul-13 20:19:20

Wonderful name, though I personally think Aoife Elizabeth comes out a bit bumpy because of the two 'eh' sounds in the middle?

DD3 is Niamh and we aren't Irish, my Nanna's family were from Ireland but that was something like 3 generations ok so don't think that counts!

wigglesrock Mon 22-Jul-13 20:34:02

It's a lovely name, it wouldn't even occur to me that you shouldn't use it because the child doesn't have Irish ancestry. I have a Sofia and we're as Irish as Aoife smile .

JellyWellyWoo Mon 22-Jul-13 20:34:32

It's a very nice and unusual name and I don't think you need Irish roots to use it. It's not a name to be considered poncy, well I don't think so anyway. If you love it go for it, in the end who cares what others may think. Your baby -your name choice. It's Lovely smile

dementedma Mon 22-Jul-13 20:34:57

spelling and pronunciation could be a nuisance

Floggingmolly Mon 22-Jul-13 20:37:42

Yes it will, dementedma. I've had a lifetime of it!

ZolaBuddleia Mon 22-Jul-13 20:45:29

Really? People can't say ee-fa?

janesaysl Mon 22-Jul-13 20:46:10

Lovely name, I'd probably assume an Irish connection, but wouldn't think it odd that you just liked the name, nothing wrong with that!

NowPlayingZone Tue 23-Jul-13 12:58:47

Irish names have increasing popularity in the uk as a whole, so can't see it being a massive problem.

miffybun73 Tue 23-Jul-13 13:06:25

Love it.

Niamh is very very popular with people with non Irish ancestry.

I don't see why Aoife shouldn't be the same.

JanieLovesLuckySocks Sat 27-Jul-13 17:49:55

i love the name and definitely don't think you have to be irish to use it. think of all the people named sean, erin, seamus, niamh, etc. i bet they aren't all of irish descent. i love juliette for a girl and i'm not french! if you love it, use it

apprenticemamma Sun 28-Jul-13 15:06:55

love love love it! This is our girls name if little bean is a girl. Live in UK and our baby will only be genetically quarter Irish but I don't think it matters if not. Good luck! smile

oohdaddypig Sun 28-Jul-13 15:12:28

It's a lovely name but I personally find Irish/welsh names pretentious if there aren't Irish/welsh roots.

Seems like I'm in the minority though. I think I'd get fed up saying "no, no Irish roots, we just liked the name"

All the very best on your TX!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now