Ida

(45 Posts)
sillyoldfool Sun 21-Jul-13 11:18:22

This is my third name thread this pg!
We've been through Ramona, Cordelia, Agnes....
This will be a sister to Martha Rose Lullaby and Greta Isobel Snowdrop (we have a definite penchant for slightly germanic first names and slightly eccentric middle names...)
So, this will be an early October baby, What do you think of...

Ida Winnie Hawthorn?

Winnie is a family name on both sides (well winifred is) and Hawthorn is seasonal, and Ida is the character in a tennyson poem and G&S opera who sets up an all female university and has pretty good feminist credentials....

thoughts?

ArabellaBeaumaris Sun 21-Jul-13 11:30:15

I like Ida, & it goes nicely with your other names. As far as I'm concerned anything goes with middle names although I'd prefer Winifred if you had to.

whyno Sun 21-Jul-13 11:31:42

Ida's gorgeous and goes so well with your other girls. Meant to be!

Dylanlovesbaez Sun 21-Jul-13 11:32:28

Beautiful! I love all your dds names, they are gorgeous. My dd has one the names you have previously discussed.

Ruprekt Sun 21-Jul-13 11:35:56

Not sure about Ida really.

Depends on your surname too.

Ida Down smilesmile

I like Ada, Ivy, Eva.

sillyoldfool Sun 21-Jul-13 12:06:16

Ada I quite like, Ivy's a bit spooky and creepy in my mind, and Eva's rather over-used around here.

Our surname isn't Down grin

sillyoldfool Sun 21-Jul-13 12:14:36

I rather like that Ida is actually a name in its own right - it's not a contraction which is unusual for such a short name.

I like posting names on here to get an insight into what people will REALLY be thinking when they're being all polite when we announce the name to them!

I love it!

prefer Edith or Elsa - or maybe Lotte or Leisle - all far prettier than Ida I think.

MrsFrederickWentworth Sun 21-Jul-13 14:15:26

I like Ida.

Don't like Winnie and she may get teased as Poo, aka Pooh, prefer Winifred.

Hawthorn not my thing, but better than sloe or Holly.

Other Germanic, Heidi, Elsa, Ilsa, adelheid/Adelaide, Eva, Birgitta, Theresia, Gertrude/Trudi, Sofia/ Sophia, charlotte.

fussychica Sun 21-Jul-13 14:43:30

Ida thought it was obviousgrin

squoosh Sun 21-Jul-13 14:48:48

Ida is awful, Granny non-chic.

You should revisit Ramona, that's much nicer and has lots of spirit.

Ida is lovely! Ida Wells is a wonderful namesake (sure there are others, just she's the first namesake to come to my mind).

I've had it on my name lists, you'd just have to ensure it went with your surname.

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 21-Jul-13 15:08:54

Ida is lovely but I do have a soft spot for Edith/Edie

usualsuspect Sun 21-Jul-13 15:11:38

My MIL was called Ida, she hated it and I don't blame her tbh. She spent her whole life known by a nickname.

sillyoldfool Sun 21-Jul-13 16:01:22

Dh will not be shifted on `ramona, he doesn't like it sad

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 21-Jul-13 16:26:15

I don't like Ida, but then I don't like granny chic. Cordelia is lovely though, pretty.

sleepingbeautiful Sun 21-Jul-13 17:11:15

I honestly think it's a bit 'meh' compared to your other DDs names.
How about Aida instead, or Agatha?

SurreyWithAFringeOnTop Sun 21-Jul-13 19:56:15

Not sure about Ida, sorry. I do like Ada though, and Agatha. How about Astrid? I absolutely love it and it goes well with your other two.

FingersCrossedLegsNot Sun 21-Jul-13 20:07:05

Can I just say I LOVE your dc names you have fantastic taste! As for Ida (assuming its pronounced either Eye Dah or E Dah) it is nice but does not blow me away the way your other dc names do.

FingersCrossedLegsNot Sun 21-Jul-13 20:08:36

Have you eliminated Cordelia as I think that is a perfect match?

FingersCrossedLegsNot Sun 21-Jul-13 20:09:34

Or Agatha would also be a lovely fit?!

ChristineDaae Sun 21-Jul-13 20:10:56

I'm sorry I hate to put a downer on other people's baby names, but the first thing I thought was IdaHoe. That's prob just me though

sillyoldfool Sun 21-Jul-13 20:11:38

I feel like Agatha is too similar to Martha? Still not given up hope of convincing DH on Cordelia, but he's not keen, that's the one I really really love tbh.

Cordelia Winnie Hawthorn....

FingersCrossedLegsNot Sun 21-Jul-13 20:13:21

Oh my Cordelia Winnie Hawthorn.......swoon!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now