What kind of name/boy is Lucas?

(35 Posts)
hawkmcqueen Sat 20-Jul-13 20:56:58

Hi there

So first post for this pregnancy! Only 14 weeks but name obsessed as usual! So was just considering the name Lucas - I noticed it for the first time and then didn't realise it's in the top 30 names.

I have never met a Lucas so do you know any? What are they like? Do you know any children with this name? Or any general impressions?

Thanks!

P.S. I don't know sex yet of course but am convinced it's a boy this time!

burberryqueen Sat 20-Jul-13 21:02:10

ooh sorry the only Lucas i can think of is that psycho in Eastenders.
also it is a bit too much like Lucifer tbh

hawkmcqueen Sat 20-Jul-13 21:07:24

Ah, I'm glad I asked as I don't watch the soaps!!! Damn! Will have to check him out then, thanks for that :-)

SurroundedByGiraffes Sat 20-Jul-13 21:09:30

I always think of the devil sheriff in American Gothic Lucas Buck. Obscure I know....

sara11272 Sat 20-Jul-13 21:10:10

I know a Lucas and he's a bright, polite, lovely little boy. I also like Luke, which is perhaps more traditional.

hawkmcqueen Sat 20-Jul-13 21:13:43

I must be living in a hole, never even heard of American Gothic, thanks for that reference as well!

Thanks Sara, yeah I like Luke as well but our surname is one syllable and I would prefer the two syllable version I think

acrabadabra Sat 20-Jul-13 21:17:00

I have a Lucas. I am obviously biased but he's smart, healthy and happy and an amazing big brother. He is also shy, has difficulty with change and a bit of a drama queen.

He's 3.

oohdaddypig Sat 20-Jul-13 21:21:24

I know a lovely Lucas.

I still associate it with (I) lucifer and (ii) lucius malfoy so it doesn't work for me. I am a bit odd though...

goingdownhill Sat 20-Jul-13 21:23:04

I have a 6 year old Lucas. He is very, very noisy, bright funny and a lovely little boy. Obviously I love his name, but I wish I had chosen a different one. Every time we go out there is always another Lucas, he has another in his class, they are everywhere. It depends if that would bother you. It is a lovely name.smile

Bowlersarm Sat 20-Jul-13 21:24:37

I would say that Lucas would be a cool teenager, and would carry that on into adulthood.

Wbdn28 Sat 20-Jul-13 21:39:55

Luke is a nice name but adding "as" spoils it IMHO.

mikkii Sat 20-Jul-13 21:45:20

I know two, one is 18, one is a baby. Both have Spanish family connections. I have never come across one t nursery o school and ave 3 DC, 9, 6, 2

mikkii Sat 20-Jul-13 21:46:28

Oops, at nursery or school and although I'm not posh, I'm not on Eastenders either, I have 3 DC!

TheSecondComing Sat 20-Jul-13 21:46:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SkiSchoolRun Sat 20-Jul-13 21:47:55

Dd1's best friend is Lucas. He is a gorgeous little boy. Bright, polite, cute grin

absentmindeddooooodles Sat 20-Jul-13 21:49:32

I like it. There's a few around here. Not considered rough or common etc. Just a lovely slightly quirkier version of Luke. I k ow one Lucas who is the funniest child I've ever met. Such a happy cheeky little boy.

Broodzilla Sat 20-Jul-13 21:53:09

Acrabadabra: I could've written your post! smile Mine is with a k though, but other than that, spot on. grin

Ahem, TSC.

<<eyebrow>>

wink

Oldandcobwebby Sat 20-Jul-13 22:17:22

Lucas is a surname. My first thought is of the old joke - Joseph Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

hawkmcqueen Sat 20-Jul-13 22:19:49

Thanks all, even though it's a mixed bag I still really like it. Thanks mummies for telling me about your lovely boys :-) I am also safe using it in my region as it's very uncommon! So that's that added to the short list! (I'll be back in a few months I reckon asking for more opinions). Cheers :-)

katolla Sun 21-Jul-13 08:49:27

There are three at baby group!

obviouslyneedsupernanny Sun 21-Jul-13 08:50:28

I have a Lucas!

RoxyFox211 Sun 21-Jul-13 08:54:19

I know a Lucas, think its a lovely name smile

TruJay Sun 21-Jul-13 10:55:12

We know of 5, one being hubby's 3 yr old cousin. He's a lovely little boy, quite shy and all Lucas's we know seem to be blonde! It seems to be popular around 2year olds upwards and haven't heard of any recent babies being called it so may not be as popular when ur little one arrives.

If u love a name, use it x

I liked it for this brat face if she'd been a boy, the letters together are really pleasing to my eye - all the recent threads about seeing names as colours I seem to choose names on 'pretty' spellings hmm

My mates wee nephew is 3 1/2 and a cute wee blonde headed bundle of crazy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now